By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGC Poll: How many units will the Wii have sold by January 1, 2010?

How many units will the Wii have sold by January 1, 2010?

70 million or fewer. 566 33.47%

71-73 million. 241 14.25%

74-76 million. 325 19.22%

77-78 million. 152 8.99%

79-80 million. 92 5.44%

81 million or more. 315 18.63%

Total:1,691

Since this thread seems to disappear once it leaves the front page I'm going to remind everyone that if you click the poll question it will always take you to the thread aboiut the current week's poll. If you click on the "Poll of the Week" heading you can go back to see previous polls.

Around the Network

Heavens to Murgatoids.

I'm really surprised that so many people think that it'll sell less than 70 million. The Wii's gonna have more games and better games (compared to 2008), production is going to be increased, colors may be introduced in Japan...

I also wanted to point out that the ranges are a bit messed up... Say you think it'll sell 70.5 million... do you go with "70 Million or Less" or "71-73 million." Just a small thing, but still.

I picked 77-78 million. In 2008 the Wii sold about 26.8 million units. With more games in 09, increased production (to about 2.8 million), and the possibility of price cuts and colors in Japan, sales can only really go up.

Stever89 said:
I'm really surprised that so many people think that it'll sell less than 70 million. The Wii's gonna have more games and better games (compared to 2008), production is going to be increased, colors may be introduced in Japan...

I also wanted to point out that the ranges are a bit messed up... Say you think it'll sell 70.5 million... do you go with "70 Million or Less" or "71-73 million." Just a small thing, but still.

I picked 77-78 million. In 2008 the Wii sold about 26.8 million units. With more games in 09, increased production (to about 2.8 million), and the possibility of price cuts and colors in Japan, sales can only really go up.

Well, I think anything less than 74m units is just crazy. Nintendo will sell 100% of what they produce next year, and they are going to produce at minimum 2.4m/month.

However, If I had suggested that the original range of choices be from 74m-86m and that is what was up, then we would have ~64% of the votes in the lowest category, and it would be spread pretty thin amongst the other ranges.

So 70m units means the Wii peaked and is no longer a complete sell out, and production isn't going up. You need to give options to everyone, and not corner them into picking what we think will be reasonable answers.

Now, what is also shocking is the large number of people picking 81m or more. To hit 81m units, they need to produce >2.9m/month starting last week. So in reality, they would have to go to 3.4m/month by July 1st, which I put in the highly unlikely category.

Now, as for the range <70 or 71-73 and wanting 70.5, well, just count in wholes millions.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

76 million.

Around the Network

Check the sig

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

80 million.

i put fewer than 70 as thats wat i had predicted in my sig it will b higher than that though i hope not
but there is something to ponder just looking at the pole results so far it looks like we have a lot of Wii haters with the highest % being 70mill and lower

Play Me

BHR-3 said:
i put fewer than 70 as thats wat i had predicted in my sig it will b higher than that though i hope not
but there is something to ponder just looking at the pole results so far it looks like we have a lot of Wii haters with the highest % being 70mill and lower

That is certainly something we learned the last go around with these sales predictions. 

I'm not sure how hating a console makes you underestimate its sales potential....but I suppose that's just how some people vote.  Perhaps I need to find some sort of formula to subtract the rabid fanboy response from the tally.  Probably would involve some very complicated algorithms or some such mathematical gibberish.

I'll go with 70 million.