By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - At what point is it game over for the PS3?

Fumanchu said:
misterd said:
phknrocket1k said:

1.) Can the PS3 still overtake the X360?

If you answer 'Yes' move on to 1b, if 'No' move onto 2.

1b.) If so... how large does the X360's lead have to be over the PS3?

2.) If it already is game over for the PS3, at what point (X360 lead of 5mn, 5.5mn, 6mn, 7mn) was it over?

1. Yes, but unlikely to do so before the NeXBox comes out.

1b. Not sure what you mean. I expect they 360 to continue pulling away until the PS3 cuts price, likely this year sometime. At most the lead will extend by a few hundred thousand more, but I simply don't see the 360 getting 10m over or more.

2. Define "game over". If you mean the console simply can't catch the 360? I'd say that happened at the end of last year. The PS3 was catching up, and could have caught up in 2010 at the rate it was going. But by the end of the year it lost all the ground it had made up and then some. Now the best they can hope for is 2011 or 2012, when I don't expect the 360 to still be on the market.

I don't know why so many people share this belief.  Sony saw fit to keep the PS2 around (it still is) and greatly offsets the losses on the PS3, so why would MS just 'abandon ship' on the 360?

If you've got a big install base with the capacity to sell millions of copies of games garnering mass royalties, making profit on the hardware + accessories and generating income through LIVE subcriptions and other marketplace downloads, there's no reason to stop support of a product potentially making billions - I really can't see where people are coming from with that assumption. 

Historically only the leading console in a generation (NES, SNES, PSX, PS2) hung around long after the new generation had launched, and MS essentially abandoned the XBox completely once the 360 launched. If the 360 hangs around at all when the next system launches, it is only going to be in a small way that won't have much impact on its market standing.

Around the Network

I smell a troll trying to create a fight.

I think people take his words out of context... I think he ment when is it game over for Sony as in when will they hit the point of no return... at what point will catching up to the 360 be impossible before the next generation of games comes.

Game over comes when u are a noob

or

Switch the console off

or

power loss

PS3 can not over take XBox 360. It was over since day 1 of the PS3. PS3 was launched for a staggering $599. PS3 over 2 years on and what games are there that really differentiates it from XBox 360 that makes it worth the inflated price tag? XBox 360 has 90% of the games library of the PS3 which most of the XBox 360 has outsold and received higher scores than same game on PS3.

PS3 will overtake XBox 360 by end of 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 or 2012? PS3 will sell one million consoles in a week when MGS 4, LBP, Resistance 2, KZ2, GT 5, FF XIII, FF XIII Versus, (insert PS3 game) etc.