By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Interesting fact about the Wii

What's so interesting about the above image? Is it that the man (?) has no eyes? Is it that he's not using the strap on the Wii Remote? No: it's that this isn't a patent drawing for the Wii Remote at all -- it's for a GameCube controller. The original Japanese patent was submitted by Nintendo in 2006, around the time Shigeru Miyamoto admitted, "[Wii] is based on GC."

Now we know its controller was, too, by way of the US Patent and Trademark Office's database, which also contains related drawings. One shows what this line-art person is playing (a tennis game with Mario) and the other is the proverbial smoking gun: a Wii remote and receiver connected to a GameCube, which is, in turn, connected to a TV with sensors attached. Check them out after the break.

I can see where this is going ... and it may involve duct tape >_>

Around the Network

I love the images that come with these patents. They look so cartoony.

People put way too much stock in the importance of patent drawings.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I remember a few years ago Nintendo said that they were planning on bringing out a peripheral that would extend the life of the GC by quite a few years. Clearly they decided soon after that the GC was a dead duck and that it would be better to rebadge the GC and incorporate this peripheral into the design. Quite a successful decision.

Well, there are a lot of things that point to the Wii being built off the Gamecube, from the gamecube controller ports, to the memory cards, to the fact that it comes with Dolby Pro Logic instead of 5.1 - which has been an industry standard for years now.. But the conversation is old, and irrelevant. The Wii has far proved itself to be successful, regardless of its origins

Around the Network

Unless your point is to say what Shigeru Miyamoto said, which is that Nintendo was planning to release a peripheral similar to Wii Remote to Gamecube, then i'm lost.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

What is duct tape?

Yeah, i believe this was common knowledge, this is just proof of it via the US Patent Office

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I figured that some people knew about this but to be honest, I didn't know this until yesterday lol >_>

One_touch_KO said:
What is duct tape?

Please tell me your joking.

Back on topic does anyone actually think that this would of worked well with the GC.

Pacman taught people to run around in dark rooms munching on pills while listening to repettive techno music and for that I somewhat idolise him.