By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Star Ocean 4 IGN Interview [Battle System, Romance, PS3 and more]

mrstickball said:
My main concern with the story is how much they delve into the pre-journey aspects, or if it's going to be 'oh, there was a nuclear war 10 years ago. It killed almost everyone, but now we're in space! See you around, Edge!'

I'm always a sucker for post-apocalyptic gameplay - be it Wasteland, Fallout, the destroyed world in FFVI, and so on. And having seen the gorgeous CG cutscenes concerning WW3 makes me hope against hope that they actually put together a feasable, good storyline in there.

My main concern with the story is character development and pacing.  SO3 had an above average story IMO but it did have some issues:

1.Some of the main characters were underdeveloped

2.The pacing was slow in the beginning after starting with a bang in the first hour which made it kind of dull

3.There was a ton of backtracking and fetch quests in the early part of the story

4.The "awful" plot twist, while not as bad as some gamers say it is, could have been executed a little better.  Overall, I'm indifferent to that plot twist

5.Some of the villans were introduced and then quickly forgotten

Tri-Ace have assured fans that flaw #3 and 4 won't be a problem in SO4 like it was in SO3.  I also have a good feeling about #1 and #2.  Not sure about #5 since we don't even know about the villians or the actual story for that matter.

Around the Network

the only SO I have played was on psp, I will be keeping my eye on this one,and see how it turns out, maybe it will make re-add the 360 to my sig.

There, happy?

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

I hope they've upgraded the engine with proper lip-synch then. Though every game looks like bad lip sync after seeing Gears 2.

Consoles Owned: XBOX 360, Wii, DS and PSP.

40 hours? I hope that's underestimating, SO3 took me 90 hours the first time through.

Still, I will play it for all eternity so the actual length probably doesn't matter that much. I love Star Ocean and Star Ocean loves me.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
40 hours? I hope that's underestimating, SO3 took me 90 hours the first time through.

Still, I will play it for all eternity so the actual length probably doesn't matter that much. I love Star Ocean and Star Ocean loves me.

Agreed, lol 40 hours is the breaking point maybe for this game. and for HD consoles like i said, its uncalled for.

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:

I'm torn about game length these days Claude. I agree with you, part of the reason I'm a big fan of RPGs is the amount content you get for your dollar. However, I think about all the games I still have to finish and all the games I have yet to purchase. When I think about that, 40 hours isn't that bad. Maybe they mean the main game is 40 hours without side quests?

@Darc- Star Ocean Till the end of time was 80 hours + Without Side Quests...

this game looks really good.

i've never tried this series before. now is a good time :)

fer gods sake stop whining ppl.

"oh only 40 hours oh noes"

"oh the character look like dolls"

" oh this oh that"

arghhhhh......be happy!