By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CES 2009: Blu-Ray US adoption rate vs CD/DVD/VHS/TV/Color TV/HDTV

irstupid said:
BengaBenga said:
JaggedSac said:
PS3 sales sure are helping out ALOT. Almost makes those graphs worthless.

Yep, that's the issue. Since probably about 2/3 of the graph is PS3's the graph is almost useless. I want to see a graph that shows the sales of the actual discs. Cause we don't really know how many people are using the PS3 as a BD player, it is after all the successor to the most successful game console ever.

Well we sort of figured out it based on a report of DVD Revenue down and blu ray Revenue up in 08'   This is what was figured out in that thread

irstupid said:
JaggedSac said:
Do those 10 million include PS3s?

$14.5 billion in DVD sales.
$.75 billion in BR sales.

14.5 + .750 = 15.25 billion

95.08% = DVD sales

4.92% = BR sales

while that is nice figures breakdown for companies it doesn't show the percentage of DVD's vs. Blu Rays sales but instead the ratio of the sales revenue

Like say average DVD cost is $12 and Blu Ray is $25.  (no idea, just threw out numbers)  Then you can see that

14.5 billion DVD revenue =  1.21 billion DVD's sold

.75 billion Blu Ray revenue =  30 million Blu Ray's sold

97.58% DVD's

2.42% Blu Ray

So if 200 movies are bought.  195 of them are on DVD and 5 are on Blu Ray.

2.5% of the total movie market is very low. If you add that the average BD buyer will be a videophile that will buy more films than the average costumer, the uptake percentage is close to dramatic. No wonder they resort to graphs with the PS3 included.

Around the Network
MikeB said:

@ alpha_dk

Adams Media Research estimates that for only the year 2008 3.1 million standalone Blu-Ray players have been sold in the US (beating their forecast).

And the numbers you JUST POSTED show that's very unlikely.  If, for example, that was true, then 3.1 (BR 2008) + 6.5ish = 9.6.  That means you've already hit the percentage of households listed in your chart, and not a single standalone player was purchased prior to 2008.  So, either BDA's presentation is lying, or Adam's Media Research's estimates were wrong.  which are you counting on to be more accurate?

Keep in mind, we have factual (total shipments per sony) and statistically-derived (PS3, per vgc) sales for 2 of the 3 unknowns.  Chances are, a 3rd party estimation of the third isn't going to be as accurate as the official numbers.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

BengaBenga said:
irstupid said:
BengaBenga said:
JaggedSac said:

Yep, that's the issue. Since probably about 2/3 of the graph is PS3's the graph is almost useless. I want to see a graph that shows the sales of the actual discs. Cause we don't really know how many people are using the PS3 as a BD player, it is after all the successor to the most successful game console ever.

Well we sort of figured out it based on a report of DVD Revenue down and blu ray Revenue up in 08'   This is what was figured out in that thread

irstupid said:
JaggedSac said:
Do those 10 million include PS3s?

$14.5 billion in DVD sales.
$.75 billion in BR sales.

14.5 + .750 = 15.25 billion

95.08% = DVD sales

4.92% = BR sales

while that is nice figures breakdown for companies it doesn't show the percentage of DVD's vs. Blu Rays sales but instead the ratio of the sales revenue

Like say average DVD cost is $12 and Blu Ray is $25.  (no idea, just threw out numbers)  Then you can see that

14.5 billion DVD revenue =  1.21 billion DVD's sold

.75 billion Blu Ray revenue =  30 million Blu Ray's sold

97.58% DVD's

2.42% Blu Ray

So if 200 movies are bought.  195 of them are on DVD and 5 are on Blu Ray.

2.5% of the total movie market is very low. If you add that the average BD buyer will be a videophile that will buy more films than the average costumer, the uptake percentage is close to dramatic. No wonder they resort to graphs with the PS3 included.

Of course, in that post he assumes that BD's cost twice as much as DVD's, which is not true at all (he even says so himself, "no idea, just threw out numbers"). Here the BluRay discs cost about 25% more than DVD's and not twice as much and I doubt that it would be that different in the US.

I'm not dissing your main argument, there aren't a whole lot of BluRay's in homes yet, just like there aren't a whole lot of any new format in the first few years, but let's at least be fair where the price and revenue is concerned.

tuoyo said:

I don't know how long DVD was out before PS2 was released.  From this graph I can safely assume PS2 was not out by then.  However, BD supporters will either never make a comparison for a time frame which caught the release of PS2 (e.g comparing DVD sales after 5 years with BD sales after 5 years) or they will do the comparison but include PS3 sales and exclude PS2 sales. 

I don't see how someone can use this graph to argue that BD is doing better than DVD at the same stage of their respective lives when PS3 has been out for most of that period and PS2 was not out at all.

You are correct. Though DVDs debuted in late 1997, stand alone players remained a premium product until around the time The Matrix DVD (DVD's tipping point, IMHO) hit the shelves in late 1999/early 2000. When the PlayStation 2 went on sale in Japan (March 2000), at a price of $399 it was half as much as the average standalone DVD player (~$800). Sony estimated then that over 3M Japanese bought a PS2 solely because it was the cheapest DVD player on the market, and it was further dropped to $299 only six months later in Japan to align its price with the North American launch in October.

Stand alone DVD players plummeted in price in America after the PS2's Japan launch, to sub-$200 levels, during that summer of 2000. Before the PS2, DVDs were almost exclusively a luxury item for business travellers who watched movies on their laptop computers. Three years after the PS2, DVD rentals officially surpassed VHS rentals.

That said, the problem with your argument that it's an unfair comparison is that there isn't a practical way to rectify the timeline and make it fair. What happened, happened. We have to go by the numbers given, and those number indicate that BD is being adopted faster than DVD was because of the PS3, and thanks to that, at this point in their respective lifetimes BD players cost a quarter of what DVD players did in year three. It will be interesting to see where this goes by year six or seven, though. It isn't logical that BD can continue at a growth rate that outpaces HDTV adoption.

BengaBenga said:
JaggedSac said:

While your are correct when it comes to hardware, what ultimately maters most is the fact that disc sales are skyrocketing. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's standalone player or ps3 owners purchasing movies, just that they are buying them.

Around the Network

And what do you think the average DVD cost is? There is no way it is higher than 15. And I would be surprised if even that high. the Average person does not buy dvd's at the new release price of 18 dollars or whatever it is. There are always so many deals for dvd's out all the time and even new releases on the first week are like only 13 dollars or something. Then next week they pop back up to 18.

And I know I have not ever seen a blu ray movie under 20 for sure. And actually cna't remember seeing one under $25, but i'm sure there are.

Dryden said:
tuoyo said:

I don't know how long DVD was out before PS2 was released.  From this graph I can safely assume PS2 was not out by then.  However, BD supporters will either never make a comparison for a time frame which caught the release of PS2 (e.g comparing DVD sales after 5 years with BD sales after 5 years) or they will do the comparison but include PS3 sales and exclude PS2 sales. 

I don't see how someone can use this graph to argue that BD is doing better than DVD at the same stage of their respective lives when PS3 has been out for most of that period and PS2 was not out at all.

You are correct. Though DVDs debuted in late 1997, stand alone players remained a premium product until around the time The Matrix DVD (DVD's tipping point, IMHO) hit the shelves in late 1999/early 2000. When the PlayStation 2 went on sale in Japan (March 2000), at a price of $399 it was half as much as the average standalone DVD player (~$800). Sony estimated then that over 3M Japanese bought a PS2 solely because it was the cheapest DVD player on the market, and it was further dropped to $299 only six months later in Japan to align its price with the North American launch in October.

Stand alone DVD players plummeted in price in America after the PS2's Japan launch, to sub-$200 levels, during that summer of 2000. Before the PS2, DVDs were almost exclusively a luxury item for business travellers who watched movies on their laptop computers. Three years after the PS2, DVD rentals officially surpassed VHS rentals.

That said, the problem with your argument that it's an unfair comparison is that there isn't a practical way to rectify the timeline and make it fair. What happened, happened. We have to go by the numbers given, and those number indicate that BD is being adopted faster than DVD was because of the PS3, and thanks to that, at this point in their respective lifetimes BD players cost a quarter of what DVD players did in year three. It will be interesting to see where this goes by year six or seven, though. It isn't logical that BD can continue at a growth rate that outpaces HDTV adoption.

Hard numbers to corroborate your argument: monthly standalone US DVD player sales throughout its lifespan:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/cemadvdsales.html

Interesting tidbit: there are about as many standalone DVD players in the US as PS2s in the world

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

BengaBenga said:
JaggedSac said:

Yep, that's the issue. Since probably about 2/3 of the graph is PS3's the graph is almost useless. I want to see a graph that shows the sales of the actual discs. Cause we don't really know how many people are using the PS3 as a BD player, it is after all the successor to the most successful game console ever.

If you assume 100 Million households, and look at PS3 sales in the US, over 85% of the graph would represent PS3 sales

Branko2166 said:
BengaBenga said:
JaggedSac said:

While your are correct when it comes to hardware, what ultimately maters most is the fact that disc sales are skyrocketing. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it's standalone player or ps3 owners purchasing movies, just that they are buying them.

Link please? I'm not saying you're wrong, but irstupid's post suggests otherwise, and while his alculation may be a bit on the negative side, he at least has revenue figures in his post that suggest that BD sales are anything but skyrocketing.

alpha_dk said:

Hard numbers to corroborate your argument: monthly standalone US DVD player sales throughout its lifespan:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/cemadvdsales.html

Interesting tidbit: there are about as many standalone DVD players in the US as PS2s in the world

I don't need hard numbers to corroborate my argument, I've got a memory like a steal trap when it comes to tech!

That link does illustrate one of my points perfectly though. Look at DVD players sales in August 1999 and before, then September 1999 and after. HINT: The Matrix DVD hit shelves Sept 21, 1999.

When The Matrix was released on DVD, player sales DOUBLED overnight. Impressive.