By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CES 2009: Blu-Ray US adoption rate vs CD/DVD/VHS/TV/Color TV/HDTV

But-but-but, I thought DD was teh futurez?

Around the Network

@ Fumanchu

Mike you should be charging Sony for all the free marketing you do!!

I just like accuracy and I like the technology, I had read all the HD DVD propaganda from 360 fans the last few years. I have been attacked beyond believe for stating Blu-Ray was performing well. Maybe you can understand.

Fact remains, technically HD DVD was well inferior, less storage, lower bitrates, no mandatory scratch protection, bad load and eject times for available players.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Squilliam said:
Overall volumes != a single title.

Yep, it looks like its comparing revenue again. And since most BR titles cost around twice as much, if not more than DVD releases, I think its safe to say that these numbers aren't nearly as impressive.

MikeB said:
@ Fumanchu

Mike you should be charging Sony for all the free marketing you do!!

I just like accuracy and I like the technology, I had read all the HD DVD propaganda from 360 fans the last few years. I have been attacked beyond believe for stating Blu-Ray was performing well. Maybe you can understand.

Fact remains, technically HD DVD was well inferior, less storage, lower bitrates, no mandatory scratch protection, bad load and eject times for available players.

Then why are you so interested in the PS3. Thats 3 year old tech.

Enlighten me please

Squilliam said:

According Videoscan 22.7 million DVDs were sold for North America in 1999. So Blu-Ray is ahead with its over 24 million Blu-Ray movie sales for the US in 2008.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
Electro General said:
Squilliam said:

Yep, it looks like its comparing revenue again. And since most BR titles cost around twice as much, if not more than DVD releases, I think its safe to say that these numbers aren't nearly as impressive.

I have only seen unit sale comparisons in this thread so far.

And BTW how much did the average DVD title sell for in 1999? And if you take into account inflation?

PS3 vs 360 sales

Mummelmann said:
But that can't be because BluRay is a fad and will die soon and dl's take over and new formats and blah blah blah.
I hope this year will be even better for BluRay so people realize that this format is not stillborn no matter how much some people wish it were.

I admit I want Blu-Ray to not take off, but only because, dammit, I don't want to buy some of my movies again. And letting them change the formats this fast sets a bad precedent!

Khuutra said:
Mummelmann said:
But that can't be because BluRay is a fad and will die soon and dl's take over and new formats and blah blah blah.
I hope this year will be even better for BluRay so people realize that this format is not stillborn no matter how much some people wish it were.

I admit I want Blu-Ray to not take off, but only because, dammit, I don't want to buy some of my movies again. And letting them change the formats this fast sets a bad precedent!

Don't feel too bad, I've had to buy "Dark Side of the Moon" four times now

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Doesn't this include PS3 sales? Doesn't seem such a great result when you take that into account. I am sure when comparing Blu Ray sales v DVD hardware sales BD supporters conveniently include PS3 for blu-ray but exclude PS2 for DVD.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Khuutra said:
Mummelmann said:

You don't have to, the BD players play DVD's as well, for me it'll be only the absolute must have's that I get on HD format (from the old DVD collection I mean). I have around 200 DVD's but I won't be getting more than 10-12 of those on BluRay anytime soon.

Edit; @ tuoyo; there weren't a whole lot of PS2's in 1999...