By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CES 2009: Blu-Ray US adoption rate vs CD/DVD/VHS/TV/Color TV/HDTV

At best I would say the adoption rate is as fast as DVD, its a games console first not primarily a player of movies.

Funny story:

Over Christmas I rented a bunch of games/movies and they were having a sale and pretty much every movie was half price including BRD. The PS3 games section had 50-60% of its titles rented out whilst the Blu Ray section (With a fairly decent selection) had absolutely no titles rented that I saw.

In my country PS3 adoption may be high, but they certainly don't give a crap about the movies. The Blu Ray disks were right next to the PS3 games as well.

Tease.

Around the Network

@ PostModGuru

get a similar quality on dvd

* 16 kbit/s – videophone quality (minimum necessary for a consumer-acceptable "talking head" picture)
* 128 – 384 kbit/s – business-oriented video conferencing system quality
* 1.25 Mbit/s – VCD quality
* 5 Mbit/s – DVD quality
* 15 Mbit/s – HDTV broadcasting quality
* 36 Mbit/s – HD DVD quality
* 54 Mbit/s – Blu-ray Disc quality

(BTW HD streaming services are hovering between DVD and HDTV broadcasting quality during optimal conditions)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

It doesn't make sense to show the penetration of US homes and then count multiple players twice, it appears to only count for blu-ray and not for the other ones.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

@ Squilliam

At best I would say the adoption rate is as fast as DVD, its a games console first not primarily a player of movies.

What really matters is actual movie sales and rentals. Despite far more competition nowadays from illegal downloads this speaks volumes:

"In comparison, 'The Matrix' DVD release in 1999 - which is generally recognized as the title to spark sales of the format - sold 780,000 units in one week. The Blu-ray release of 'The Dark Knight' has more than doubled that accomplishment. "

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

johnsobas said:
It doesn't make sense to show the penetration of US homes and then count multiple players twice, it appears to only count for blu-ray and not for the other ones.

Read the thread and the notice under the graphs, it states "once" and not "twice"

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Overall volumes != a single title.

Tease.

There are about 100 Million households in the United States ... What we know is that there are about 7 Million PS3s purchased in the United States which were primarily purchased to play videogames, while at the same point for DVD there was 4.5 Million DVD players that were only purchased to watch movies ... an amazing victory for Blu-Ray indeed!

Blu-Ray is going to become the dominant format in a similar way to how HDTV will become the standard ... HDTVs entered the market and stayed a niche product for a very long time while LCD TVs (which were not HD at the time) saw massive sales because they were larger TVs that were thin and light. Soon enough almost all LCD and Plasma TVs were HDTVs and HDTV sales skyrocketed to a level roughly equal to LCDTV sales + HDTV sales. Soon manufacturing prices on LCD and Plasma TVs were comming down at a rate where it was cheaper to produce a HD-LCD TV than a similar sized SD-CRT so manufacturers stopped producing SD-CRT or SD-LCD TVs and you can only buy HDTVs ...  Eventually, Blu-Ray will become the dominant format because people will go shopping for a DVD player and find out that a $20 Blu-Ray player plays DVDs and no one sells DVD players anymore.

Spankey said:
"multiple device households counted twice"
But still, awesome news for a change!
6% already - and that's just the US

oh, it was this guy that threw me off.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

papflesje said:
Spankey said:
"multiple device households counted twice"
But still, awesome news for a change!
6% already - and that's just the US

Twice? :-/

picture says "once"

oops - my bad blurry pic looks blurry for me

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Mike you should be charging Sony for all the free marketing you do!!

OT: At this stage no one is doubting it's future success as the dominant disc medium format for movies.

However, having said that I don't think we can deduce from that adoption rate graph that the format will be more successful than the comparatively more slowly adopted DVD format. It doesn't factor in emerging new technologies it has to compete against that weren't present before such as streaming download content. This is actually offered by a lot of the Blu-ray players themselves and the PS3. There are other standalone set-top boxes now as well - TIVO, Netflix, Blockbuster to name a few all competing for a slice of the market.

The fact that the PS3 ushered in the technology as well significantly boosts the install base, which most backers take into consideration as it doesn't neccessarily mean that every PS3 adopter is snatching up Blu-ray movies. The PS2 was the first console released to support DVD and that was released 3 years after DVDs were launched in the US. The graph supports the future of Blu-ray but doesn't mean it's ever going to be as successful as DVD in lieu of growing competition.