By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The flaw in the Wii which makes surpassing the PS2s sales even better.

The Wii is too darn reliable!!

Nintendo must somehow sustain their sales of the Wii inspite of this horrible flaw which prevents them from picking up repeat purchases! How can they keep up their sales rate when the vast majority of Wiis in existance now will still be working in 5-10 years time? Every sale they make has to be made to a new customer essentially...

Seriously now, this is a big problem... Just what were Nintendo thinking?

Tease.

Around the Network

@Squilliam: It's a good point. I've been wondering what Nintendo's going to do for a long time. Not only is it more reliable but everyone who's buying one is buying it just to play games on it. I know a few people who bought PS2's just to play DVD's on them. I'm sure there has to be a certain percentage of PS2's sold that ended up only playing DVD's.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

The duct tape will wear out eventually. So GameCube sales will double, and people still have to replace their Wiis. Win/win.

Thats what happens when you rush hardware development... you end up with a machine that is entirely to reliable... you can see that they tried to make it extra compact in the end to force in some last minute heat problems.... but that just doesn´t cut it...

So true. But I think they plan to do so by expanding the market. I think the wii will surpass PS2 sales despite this major flaw.

Around the Network

Maybe I should convince people that the Wii is like a Gameboy and it is able to survive scud missile fire.. that way they'll be forced to buy a new one after all the abuse they give it to prove me right.

Pixel Art can be fun.

badgenome said:
The duct tape will wear out eventually. So GameCube sales will double, and people still have to replace their Wiis. Win/win.

Yes, that's why I keep saying GameCube will reach 200 million at the end of 2011 

This plus X360s eventually going RROD will assure PS3 victory this gen. I'm thinking on something like 60 million PS3s, 38 million X360 (60 million - 33% RROD) and 250 million GameCubes at 2013.

it seems only MS has mastered the art of making you buy multiple machines this generation. I am sure Nintendo will learn from their mistake, and next gen the Wii2 will spew fire after 500 hours of play time.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I don't think we can assume that there won't be any hardware issues in 3 or 4 years actually.

Until the console has actually been out that long we won't know what kind of issues it has as it ages. We could still have any number of problems crop up in some units as the console ages.

To Each Man, Responsibility

The Big N could always get Microsoft to start putting their Wii's together for them and I'm sure they'd manage to fuck it up somehow and then the Wii would have a large increase in failure rate therefore causing more sales in the end.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"