By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and third parties, same history?

The haters didn't fail me, the Wii 3rd party doom threads have started.
With NPD being next week, I was fearing I was wrong and that the Wii hate weeks weren't orechestrated.
I'm glad I wasn't just paranoid after all.
But I must say I prefer the bitter tear threads, like the "Wii is a fad" ones (I just saw two here yesterday).

Around the Network

Pretty much all of the young children/casual gamers are buying a Wii this generation, so it gets flooded with shovelware. It's pointless spending time and effort making some hardcore game when the random Petz shit that they can make with minimal effort can create just as much profit.

Soriku said:
EA has Boom Blox 2 (though EA sucks either way so why care about them?)

THQ has Deadly Creatures (but they suck anyway, not like they're bringing big games to HD consoles either)

Ubisoft has the TMNT game coming from SSBB x Ninja Gaiden devs.

I actually kinda like EA now. Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and Burnout Paradise were some of the highlights of last year for me.

Outcast said:
Pretty much all of the young children/casual gamers are buying a Wii this generation, so it gets flooded with shovelware. It's pointless spending time and effort making some hardcore game when the random Petz shit that they can make with minimal effort can create just as much profit.

I know I was upset when games like Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, and The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess flopped!

One of these days someone will have to explain to me how Wii gamers can be complete idiots and completely uninterested in quality "Core" gameplay experience and are somehow buying the highest quality "Core" gameplay experiences on the Wii at amazingly high levels ...

@Zleep: Uh... what? Every single game on my list was confirmed. Well, I'm 90% sure of I Am Alive, but I'm positive about everything else. And it was just off the top of my damn head, people--and if we're getting into list wars that include first-party and second-party games, when the OP was talking third-party here you go:

-The Conduit
-MadWorld
-House of the Dead
-Sonic and the Black Knight
-Monster Hunter 3
-No More Heroes 2
-Spyborgs
-Red Steel 2
-I Am Alive
-DRAGON QUEST X!
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
-Zack and Wiki 2
-Sam and Max
-Sin and Punishment 2
-New Zelda (unnamed)
-New Mario (unnamed)
-Pikmin 3
-Overlord: Dark Legend
-Ghostbusters: The Video Game
-Punch Out
-Muramasa: Demon Blade
-Monster Hunter G
-Endless Ocean 2
-Tenchu IV
-Disaster: Day of Crisis (in North America)
-Fatal Frame IV (in America)
-New Play Control: Metroid Prime
-New Play Control: Metroid Prime 2
-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2
-Deadly Creatures
-Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers
-Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop
-Wii Sports: Resort
-New Play Control: Mario Power Tennis
-New Play Control: Pikmin
-New Play Control: Pikmin 2
-Another Code: Trace Memory R
-Tales of 10
-Spore
-Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
-Sadness
-Moto GP '08
-New Play Control: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
-New Play Control: Donkey Konga
-Rygar: The Battle of Argus
-Samurai Shodown Anthology
-Ready 2 Rumble Revolution
-Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templar
-Major Minor’s Majestic March
-X-Men Origins: Wolverine
-Terminator Salvation: The Video Game
-Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
-TNA Impact 2
-Alien RPG
-Cursed Mountain
-Resident Evil Zero
-Samurai Warriors 3
-TMNT fighting game
-Tom Clancy's HAWX
-Space Station Tycoon
-Dirt 2

See? I just listed just as many Wii games (62) as you did for the PS3 and 360, without including any WiiWare while you included XBLA/PSN.

I also noticed that Xbox 360 exclusives and PS3 exclusives were combined into one big 'HD' list.

Before you say anything, of course I know that you skipped lots of PS360 games. I skipped WiiWare completely.

For the record, I know we're having a fair discussion, but I just want it on record that I believe this thread should be locked. All I was trying to prove with my first list was that third parties are absolutely not only announcing games like MySims for Wii, but it's somehow devolved into a list war.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
@Zleep: Uh... what? Every single game on my list was confirmed. Well, I'm 90% sure of I Am Alive, but I'm positive about everything else.

I Am Alive appears to be headed to Wii, yes.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/07/16/i-am-alive-revealed-for-pc-wii-ps3-and-xbox-360-by-ubisoft.htm

"I Am Alive has been announced for Wii, Xbox 360, PC and PS3 by Ubisoft at E3 2008 as an all-new IP from the company."

But gimme a source for Zak and Wiki 2. And don't you dare f*** with me on this one, buddy, or baaaaaaad things will happen to this effigy of you! (I.E. it's not coming, according to Capcom).

zleep said:

We have been hearing and believeing that 3rd party publishers were going to shift development, or at least make some core or higer budget games for the Wii, but we are now into 2009 and things are going the same route.

EA announce MySims Party, MySims Racing, EA Fitness, Nascar Kart Racing.
Ubisoft announces Greys Anatomy and some new Petz games.
THQ threatens Wii owners to go into the minigame route if their core and niche games dont sell millions.

Any thoughts?

Source? Seems to me the latest information from THQ says they are chomping at the bit to make more core Wii games. You are starting to blow your cover here T. But lets look at 2009 more as a whole. How many core games have been announced so far? How many games have been announced so far?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
zleep said:

We have been hearing and believeing that 3rd party publishers were going to shift development, or at least make some core or higer budget games for the Wii, but we are now into 2009 and things are going the same route.

EA announce MySims Party, MySims Racing, EA Fitness, Nascar Kart Racing.
Ubisoft announces Greys Anatomy and some new Petz games.
THQ threatens Wii owners to go into the minigame route if their core and niche games dont sell millions.

Any thoughts?

Source? Seems to me the latest information from THQ says they are chomping at the bit to make more core Wii games. You are starting to blow your cover here T. But lets look at 2009 more as a whole. How many core games have been announced so far? How many games have been announced so far?

He's referring to this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=55967

It's exaggeration on his part, but a single indpendent developer who's been liscensed to make a single game for THQ said something sort of along those lines, so I guess we can let it slide.

I dont mind if games like that are released ( you cant avoid it, especially when games like that do sell on the Wii) as long as i get some good efforts from those developers, funded from sales of those "casual" friendly titles.

THQ that is lol, their good efforts on the Wii have sold well De Blob for example, if they release good games with decent advertismints behind it then it will sell on such huge userbase, i think they just trying to create some sort of damage control if their game sucks.

I would like to get more Western support for the Wii, but i wont cry if i will concentrate on playing titles developed in Japan.

noname2200 said:

He's referring to this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=55967

It's exaggeration on his part, but a single indpendent developer who's been liscensed to make a single game for THQ said something sort of along those lines, so I guess we can let it slide.

Sorry, but no he doesn't get to slide by on this one. " It was pretty easy, actually, because of the fact that we pitched it on the Wii — that was the magic word." Seems to me THQ was anxious to make more core games on the Wii. The developer at the end seems to say it would be back to minigames, but he isn't even close to in a position to decide that. More to the point he doesn't come close to giving a figure for how many copies the game would need to sell, let alone saying it needs millions. I am sick and tired of having him over-exagerrate some imaginary point to try and troll Wii fans. He has been doing it for far too long now. The developer says THQ was in love with the concept because it was on the Wii and supported it the whole time. There zero evidence for his claim.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229