By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Heavenly Sword 10GB of sound fx audio work.

If it's compressed at 256kb/s (a very high bit rate) then it's nearly 85 hours of audio. That would be pretty freaking ridiculous for a game that's supposed to be 12 hours long.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Around the Network
Non Sequor said:
If it's compressed at 256kb/s (a very high bit rate) then it's nearly 85 hours of audio. That would be pretty freaking ridiculous for a game that's supposed to be 12 hours long.

yea talk about a waste of money

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

With a simple firmware update like the Blu-ray movie players the PS3 should be able to read 200GB Blu-ray discs. That would be amazing. FFIVX with 50GB of audio, island of _________ is 65GB, the other islands take of the rest. lol

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

That's cool and all, and not to sound like a troll, but I don't care how much space a game is using...if PS3 games look only marginally better than 360 games, and it's many GB of space different...I don't see the big deal.

The biggest use of that much space would be for straight-up music and movie content, like that movie playing on TVs in The Darkness...

So it's a plus, but I'm not sure how great 10 GB is...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

darconi said:
I bet they could compress than into mp3 format or any other compressed format and save 9.9 gb's of space with miniscule losses in quality. Decisions like that hardly justifies blu ray being the next generation of media and capacity.

Why compress it when you have Blu Ray?

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
darconi said:
I bet they could compress than into mp3 format or any other compressed format and save 9.9 gb's of space with miniscule losses in quality. Decisions like that hardly justifies blu ray being the next generation of media and capacity.

BluRay isn't a blank check for file sizes. The PS3's a little slow reading BluRay discs (it only spins to 2x speed for BluRay, although this slow rotational speed is partially compensated for by the increased data density) so if you go crazy with your game data you'll have to have long load times or cache a huge amount of data on the HDD.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
Non Sequor said:

you'll have to have long load times or cache a huge amount of data on the HDD.

Every PS3 has a hdd, so no worries cache away.

It's coded in .ape format or what?

Well, it's good that they don't need to compress anything... it saves time... I guess. But now that I think about it... how is this gonna affect loading times?

Non Sequor said:
konnichiwa said:
darconi said:

BluRay isn't a blank check for file sizes. The PS3's a little slow reading BluRay discs (it only spins to 2x speed for BluRay, although this slow rotational speed is partially compensated for by the increased data density) so if you go crazy with your game data you'll have to have long load times or cache a huge amount of data on the HDD.

In a month we will know if it affects loading times or not :s.

darconi said:

Many LOSSLESS compression techniques can take 3.5 hrs of music and compress it easily into 100-400 mb's.

Yeah, but they're probably puting 10.2 surround in it man! No, seriously, if they put in something like 7.1 Dolby Ditigal Plus, it could easily take something like 3.0Mbit/s just for the music (1.25GiB/h). And if went the DTS-HD route, they could easily burn twice as much, and that's not even mentioning the lossless options (where bit rates can go up to something like 20Mbit/s). Useless? To me, yeah sure - specially for music. But it's preaty easy to burn space with audio these days if you have the space.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.