By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction #4 ~:~ SONY will regain dominance next generation with PS4!

Your predictions are insane. You think the wii will reach 200mill,the 360 100mill but then the PS4 will somehow regain all that lost share O.o; Despite sony being in such huge financial problems, where they would get the r+d money for a PS4 I don't know. There has to be a reason for them to regain marketshare. Apparently you think simply being $300 would work. Well guess what, then nintendo would just come in at $250.

Not only this but if you think the wii will reach 200mill, 360 100mill and the PS3 50mill. have you actually counted that? That would be 350million consoles. Compared to around 165million for the PS2 generation. So basically you predict that the console market will more than double compared to last generation, an increase of 185million!

Not only this but you seem to think Sony is going to be filled with new people! They are firing a MASSIVE amount of people, they really aren't going to be looking at hiring in quite some time.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network
McStormy1 said:
c0rd said:

Erm... Sony doing better sounds fine and all, but where does Nintendo fit into this future?

Also, do you really think there will be another "Wii Sports" next gen? It's not as if there's one every generation. It's even less likely such a game would come from Sony, they don't capture the mass market like Nintendo does.

Yes, because Sony didn't create the number most successfull (PS2) and number 2 most successfull (PS1) consoles of all time...They weren't the ones credited way back in the PS1 era as having made gaming mainstream and inviting to casual gamers....

I'll give them some credit on their PS1 games (Grand Turismo, Crash, and to a leser extent, Spyro), their IPs did very well on that platform.

However, with the exception of Gran Turismo, on the PS2 they were completely overshadowed by third parties. The majority of people didn't actually buy the system for their games - instead, they bought it for GTA, FF, Madden, etc. I have a PS2 (and some PS games) and didn't own a single game made by Sony until I bought Shadow of the Colossus 2 years ago.

According to this site, Sony has only 2 titles that have gone over 10 million. Nintendo has 25, and 11 of these were made in this gen alone.

Fifthteenthed on the merge idea

But in all seriousness, ya gotta look at logic when it comes to budgeting for R&D. Researching into new technologies is going to be VERY important on the 8th generation, because if the wii has told us anything. Newer and shinier graphics are not the way to go anymore, the mainstream doesn't care about processing power or any of that. Its all jargon to them.

So for 8th generation R&D, they have to hit a few key points that may prove to be more expensive than sticking the best hardware into the machine and letting it loose upon the market

For one, just to give a example.

Motion control, this is the most likely. If not guaranteed to move into the 8th generation, now. There are many ways motion control can be done, nintendo has already started the tread, similar to how Xbox live transitioned well into the 7th generation from the 6th generation. I can imagine nintendo will use their experience with motion control towards their R&D. Funded by a immensely large budget, to produce by my terminology. Since I can't figure out what else to call it. "Magic"

Sony however, Sony does have a bit of experience with motion control. So this too will help them out, now if that ultrasound motion controller proves to be the real deal. Then we may have potential. However, does sony have the funds to back-up a large-scale R&D project to beat nintendo's future project? At this current time, no. They don't.

So by this point alone, one can imagine that greater funding + technology experience = better product. I'll easily admit that Sony does have some motion control technology experience. But they don't have the funding. Thus, your prediction is flawed. Theres no way sony can regain dominance from where it stands now. Heck, some extremists are predicting the PS3 will be axed in this year!

Sorry to say.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

Zim said:
Your predictions are insane. You think the wii will reach 200mill,the 360 100mill but then the PS4 will somehow regain all that lost share O.o; Despite sony being in such huge financial problems, where they would get the r+d money for a PS4 I don't know. There has to be a reason for them to regain marketshare. Apparently you think simply being $300 would work. Well guess what, then nintendo would just come in at $250.

Not only this but if you think the wii will reach 200mill, 360 100mill and the PS3 50mill. have you actually counted that? That would be 350million consoles. Compared to around 165million for the PS2 generation. So basically you predict that the console market will more than double compared to last generation, an increase of 185million!

Not only this but you seem to think Sony is going to be filled with new people! They are firing a MASSIVE amount of people, they really aren't going to be looking at hiring in quite some time.

his 360 prediction is insane. its coming into its 4th year and has sold just under 30 million so where the hell is it gonna get another 70 million from? 50-60 million is realistic for 360.

NightstrikerX said:

But in all seriousness, ya gotta look at logic when it comes to budgeting for R&D. Researching into new technologies is going to be VERY important on the 8th generation, because if the wii has told us anything. Newer and shinier graphics are not the way to go anymore, the mainstream doesn't care about processing power or any of that. Its all jargon to them.

So for 8th generation R&D, they have to hit a few key points that may prove to be more expensive than sticking the best hardware into the machine and letting it loose upon the market

Motion control, this is the most likely. If not guaranteed to move into the 8th generation, now. There are many ways motion control can be done, nintendo has already started the tread, similar to how Xbox live transitioned well into the 7th generation from the 6th generation. I can imagine nintendo will use their experience with motion control towards their R&D. Funded by a immensely large budget, to produce by my terminology. Since I can't figure out what else to call it. "Magic"

Sony however, Sony does have a bit of experience with motion control. So this too will help them out, now if that ultrasound motion controller proves to be the real deal. Then we may have potential. However, does sony have the funds to back-up a large-scale R&D project to beat nintendo's future project? At this current time, no. They don't.

So by this point alone, one can imagine that greater funding + technology experience = better product. I'll easily admit that Sony does have some motion control technology experience. But they don't have the funding. Thus, your prediction is flawed. Theres no way sony can regain dominance from where it stands now. Heck, some extremists are predicting the PS3 will be axed in this year!

Sorry to say.

only an idiot would think the ps3 is gonna get axed. they are nearly starting to make a profit and it really doesnt look like sony give a flying rats fuck about how their console is selling compared to others. they set their own targets.

Around the Network
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
NightstrikerX said:

Sorry to say.

only an idiot would think the ps3 is gonna get axed. they are nearly starting to make a profit and it really doesnt look like sony give a flying rats fuck about how their console is selling compared to others. they set their own targets.

I didn't say I was part of those extremists, nor will I point out any. I've seen a few, but I'm not gonna go running my mouth off about them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I am all for supporting sony. I understand what sony has brought to the table with their console. I respect that, I wouldn't want to see the PS3 being axed.

The point to my post, which seemed to have been lost is that I view it as nigh-impossible for sony to regain dominance in the console wars. Nintendo has brought something new to the table, and they will only strive towards perfecting what they have done. Sony is in a tight spot for matching what nintendo has brought, and to surpass it in the 7th or 8th gen? Its unthinkable currently.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

100th, unbiased reporter