By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - USA NPD July delayed until August 23, 2007

My theory is that their main analyst is on vacation and their backup got sick  

Around the Network

Tell us your theories

我是广州人

NPD said: "As a reminder, July video and PC games data will release on August 23rd
due to our semi-annual upgrade. We are happy to inform you that the
upgrade will consist of an additional 7 retailers to our NPD Video
Games and 5 retailers to our PC Games Retail Tracking services.

Video Games (console and portable categories) services:
Amazon.com
Virgin Megastores
BJ's Wholesale Club
BestBuy.com
Buy.com
Target.com
Newegg.com"
My take: NPD has not had Walmart coverage since 2002, and that remains the case...but by process of elimination and through research NPD has good Walmart estimations...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

So they are adding seven retailers? Ah I see. They probably need the extra time since this would be the first time they would be including those retailers in their sales estimates.

my theory is...

"Jasmine" spent too much time in VGC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network

Kinda disappointing. Half of them are just the online part of major chains I assume NPD already covers the major brick and mortar side of. Example: Best Buy.com, Target.com. The percent of .com videogame sales in those chains is also probably pretty low. As I think people, I know I dont, dont like to order games online, as instant gratification is key when it comes to games.

NPD presumably already covers the brick and mortar side of those chains, so one would have assumed they automatically had access to the .com side. Kind of weird that they didn't.

Newegg and Amazon and BJ's clubs, etc are nice gains though, especially BJ's and virgin as they are brick and mortar. I doubt Newegg, Buy.com, and even Amazon sell that many games. Should help make NPD more accurate. Wonder what their percent coverage is now?

Having amazon and others built in now is awesome though. I get the feeling numbers will be higher from now on. I know before now they have estimated the online retailers, but I think they were estimating low. Now we will get concrete numbers and I cant wait to see them.