By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How many PS3s will Sony sell in 2009 assuming no price cut or Q4 price cut?

Gamer4eva said:
11 Mil without
15 Mil with
18 Mil with and GT5/FF13

And yet, however ignorantly optimistic this is.... it's still not Crazzy.

That must be why Crazzy and John Lucas are loved so much on this website. and perhaps to a lesser extent leo-J and Avinash.

Around the Network

8M-9M.

I see them holding steady in Japan and Europe. Loss of 25% Share in NA.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

8-9 mill without a price cut (most likely)
10-11 mill with a price cut (it doesn't matter when they make it)

axumblade said:
NJ5 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
11-12 million without cut.
15-16 with cut .

You're expecting better sales without a price cut than 2008 sales?

Probably based on the fact that we already know quite a few big titles coming out this year.. Probably will hear about a few more of them around e3 or before that are coming out.

It's not impossible since White Knight Chronicles is still boosting Ps3 sales in Japan and Yakuza 3 is coming out this year there as well. It might push Sony up another million there (scattered throughout the whole year and not based on those 2 titles alone). Then it would only have to make 5 million a peice between Others and America.

Then of course there are other big PS3 games such as God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, Ratchet & Clank: Future 2 (I know people holding off so they will have more than 1 FULL ratchet & clank game to play), and a few other titles that if they make it out this year will definitely compel people to buy the systems (at least Sony hopes).

I'm not saying it will happen but it wouldn't be impossible for their sales to continue to rise.

Gran Turismo 5, and to a much lower extent FFXIII given its multiplatform status are the only games which I see pushing significant PS3 hardware. This given the effect of the likes of MGS4 and GTA4. MGS4 boosted HW sales but for a very short period.

FFXIII looks unlikely in 2009 except for Japan, so GT5 looks like the only real booster for the year. It's also uncertain for 2009, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony "rushing" it out.

However even those two titles wouldn't affect the first half of 2009 sales, which I think will be pretty low considering the low momentum the PS3 has right now. I expect sales to be more than 30% down year-on-year in the first few months of the year.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I'm going with around 7 million tops without the price cut. And around 10 million max with a price cut.

Around the Network

5 million without, 7 million with a Q4 price cut (far too late).

I would agree with those stating numbers similar to 7-8 million without, 10-11 million with. I doubt the sales would drop any more than 30% unless the economy gets worse.....

Games price cut recovering US economy least in people minds.

Is PS3 slim possible for 09 ?

lowest to highest 9-22 million.

With or without a price cut I am going to say less than last year. Around the 8 million range.

axumblade said:

FFXIII in Japan will be a definite booster WW unless you're just talking US numbers. And even if they aren't major boosts, if there are enough of them, that could drive it to decent sales. I'm not saying that I think it will happen, but if it does, I wouldn't be surprised either.

No, I'm talking worldwide numbers.

Typical PS3 Japan sales in slow periods of the year are around 10,000 (although they could get lower this year). Even if FFXIII boosts them to 100,000 for a few weeks, that's not much in the grand scheme of things. Except for GT5, I would be very surprised if any other game did something like that.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957