By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu Ray's Fuzzy Future (NYTimes CES Preview)

SamuelRSmith said:
DMeisterJ said:
welshbloke said:
Blu Ray will never be the future because the future is changing and as I said previously they missed the boat because the industry could not decide 2 years ago when they needed to.

So whereas it may sound implausible Blu Ray certainly has had its legs chopped from under it and one of the reasons is digital distribution.

Please, use punctuation.

Although that comma still works, it's highly unnecessary. I suppose, that you were trying to make a point (at least, I hope that it was because you were trying to make a point).

Arguments about connection speeds just don't hold up anymore. The BBC iPlayer streams TV quality video as standard, and the High Quality picture requires a whooping 1MBPs connection. 3/4 people in the UK have a broadband connection, and by 2012, 30-50MBPs lines will be available to the majority of the country, with >GBPs connections available cheaply in most cities and large towns. Japan and Sweden are already there, and I remember reading about similar projects in Australia.

I predict that by 2012 on-demand high definition content will be accessible to all of Western Europe, Japan, Australia and most of urban America (USA + Canada). For the record, I personally predict that the UK will be there in 2010.

Broadband is taking so long to get to a decent speed.  I get a 1MB virtual guaranteed speed at home in Scotland and we only can get a 1MB dedicated line at work in Glasgow.  This has been the case for near 2 years now and I would be surprised, actually shocked if it were to bump up to even 10Mb within the next few years.

The BBC iPlayer is one of a kind and the best thing since sliced bread IMHO, but the quality isn't perfect, but you are right about TV quality video being streamed virtually instantaniously.  but it's only 480p remember and it would probably take a 50Mb line to stream 1080p (don't know the workings).  Then we have the 5.1 or even 7.1 sound, which would take even more.

Add to the fact that people still like to own something physical for movies, so IMHO Blu-Ray will be around and strong for the next 3-4 years anyway.

Also, don't forget the buzz word of the late nineties.....HDTV....how long has this taken to come to fruition and it's still a good 3-4 years away before becoming properly implemented.

Digitial Distribution is IMHO a pipedream and will only be used by those you basically like the idea rather than the general masses who want to walk into a store and buy a product and come home to watch it.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

DD is here but its up to the ISPs (and media distrubutors) in the end that will make it acceptable trade off. As for Rentals, DD will do well just as PayPerView has always have done well. The actual purchasing of movies you want to keep will always be a barrier do to bandwidth caps, DMR and storage devices. Don't forget, just most of us can afford internet and stuff, in NA 50% of the country makes less than $50k a year and can't afford cable or $30-$50 broadband service to get such media. Thats where Walmart and brick and motar will always have a place in this country.

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/Bringing-Broadband-to-the-Poor/story.xhtml?story_id=011001CEHDPQ

I'm just saying...

You can't really count Netflix as a true direct download service. Most people who buy it look at the streaming as just an extra on top of the fact that you get to rent DVD's. Netflix has reported that the streaming service as a whole is hurting them financially, as it isn't profitable yet.

When true direct download services that offer nothing except downloadable content start taking off, then direct download will have a foothold in the market.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

As this was posted to show bad news for Sony I will go at it from that angle.

To start, Blu-ray has a large future ahead of it. There are millions of households in the USA that do not have anywhere close to the speed to download, let alone stream on demand content. In the world as a whole the situation is even a bigger issue. It will of course become less of an issue over time, but no were near as fast as Blu-ray adaption is going to take place.

Now on to why this does very little to effect Sony. Sony has seen the digital future and have already got the ball rolling on being part of it. Many people questioned the idea of a Video Store on PS3 because they thought it was all about Blu-ray. Well the truth is PS3, Sony BR players, Sony TV's, and Sony computers are being built around the idea of both Blu-ray and DD. Last year at CES Sir Howard Stringer layed out the road map to Sony's DD plan for the future, and it started last year with the PS3, and it is supposed to be part of every Sony device by 2010.

Sony dropped the ball big time on musics trasition to DD, and they are making sure they are at least in the running with DD of movies. As they get more devices connected, and more content on their network things will continue to get better for them. The more content they are able to sell the more we should start to see DRM on the content bought over the net, and that is really the best future possible.

So with the Sony stuff out of the way I want to mmove back towards why Blu-ray is going to do amazingly, and why it will reach close to the levels of DVD. The movie industry just likee Sony has seen that the future of the media is not either physical or digital. It is a hybrid of both formats that is going to keep the buisness running nicly fo the next 10 years or so. That is why every Blu-ray player is going to be a hybrid player that can play BRD, or do on demand, or DD. As the prices of Blu-ray players fall to the $50 dollar range DVD players will be pushed out of stores, and consumers will have no option but to by a system that is capable of Blu-ray playback. As the market grows, the prices of Blu-ray will fall in line with DVD, and consumers will start buying the better quality versio, because it will be priced the same.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

DMeisterJ said:
This is the same "Digital distribution > Blu-Ray" Argument we've been having for years now.

BD is the future, and DD isn't. Simply put.

This. Although I do believe DD will do well, I don't think it will do much harm to Blu-Ray.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

The best case scenario for Blu-Ray is that DD takes up like 10-15% of the market. Which means Blu-Ray still wouldn't be as pervasive as DVD in its heyday.

The maximum likelihood scenario to me is one where DD serves about half of the consumers and disk-based media the rest. I for one will probably own a blu-ray player at some point (when they're cheaper than $100), but will want the convenience of DD the majority of the time.

the Wii is an epidemic.