By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu Interview with Kitase -- FF13 Talk & More!

Interviewer (hereafter "I"): First of all, we'd like to hear what kind of year you've had.

Kitase (hereafter "K"): This year I was set to work on Sigma Harmonics and Final Fantasy Dissidia, two portable games.

I: What was your impression of the game industry as a whole this year?

K: That'll also turn into talk of portable games, but I can't help but think that this past year, portable game systems have become even more a 'typical' thing. That is, before the DS was released, playing portable games outside would get you a bunch of strange looks from others (he's talking about adults playing portables), but now it's totally normal for people to play.

I: I see. Incidentally, is there anything you observed in regards to already released (not sure if 'released' is the right word....) hardware?

K: Personally, I think the casual games available for download were fun, and I played them often. The few hundred yen price is quite nice. I also often buy extra content for games, haha.

I: Do you plan to add those elements to the games you're working on yourself, Mr. Kitase?

K: I wonder, haha. For example, with a game type like FF13, you really have to put the whole thing in one package, so it's not easy to do that (add extra content for purchase). If we made plans to make new downloadables, it would turn into a full blown game, I think.

I: Then, what kind of year do you think 2009 will be for you personally?

K: It's the year that XIII speeds toward facing completion. Together with that, I want to see the PS3['s popularity] gain ground, too. In spring, there's the plans for the demo to come out, so if we're (the industry) given the energy to speed both along, it would be great.

I: In order for the hardware to catch on, what do you think it needs more of?

K: Of course, having interesting and fun software for the system would make users think "I want to play those games."

I: If that [software] was FFXIII, that would be great, wouldn't it?

K: Of course, if FFXIII became a reason for people to buy a PS3, I would be most happy. From FFXIII's announcement until now, we've shown much pre-rendered material. However, after we get into 2009, I'm thinking we'll be showing more realtime rendered material. In the demo, I want to show the definite form of FFXIII, and gradually build on the game from there.

I: In the demo, to what degree will we be able to play?

K: There's still quite some time before the game comes out, so the demo will probably extend to 'pinning down the foundations,' but I believe you will be able to properly experience 'the new Final Fantasy on the Playstation 3.' By all means, please try it out.

I: So 2009 will be a year focused on FFXIII, it seems?

K: 3rd Birthday and Agito XIII are also being developed side by side [with FFXIII], but it's certain that the focus will be more on XIII. The entire work is quite large, and it will still take some time, but it seems the base pieces have been finished, and it seems like the completion is coming into view.

I: It seems 2009 will be quite busy, doesn't it?

K: Constructing the foundation of FFXIII has taken a long period of time, so I want this year to be the one to bring the fruits of our labor, I think. Also, for people to feel the force of FFXIII as a unified work, we'll be doing various promotions. Right now, the public isn't very involved, but we need to push FFXIII out into the light, I think. If we produce a great work and rouse demand [for games], Japan's economy could brighten up, maybe, haha. By all means, I'd love to see the game industry pull up the economy, you know?

So FF13 is well under way.....very bright news imho.

This is a jewel of a game coming towards PS3 & Xbox 360

Around the Network

So 2009 will be a year focused on FFXIII, it seems?

K: 3rd Birthday and Agito XIII are also being developed side by side [with FFXIII], but it's certain that the focus will be more on XIII.

===========================================================

Will be funny if Final Fantasy XIII Agito outsells Final Fantasy XIII proper in Japan...

Cool. FFXIII is getting to the final stages. I dont think we'll see release in Japan until very late 2009 or 2010 from the sounds of it for Final Fantasy XIII. I definitely think this game will stimulate the PS3 sales in Japan.

It's nice to see Kitase being supportive of the PS3 and showing a desire to do hard work. We need more dudes like him.

I await the return of the rpg king...on a console at least.

Around the Network

japan gets ff13 in late 09 and we get it maybe fall of 2010, which sucks. when it comes out i will buy 2 versions, a ps3 and a 360.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
japan gets ff13 in late 09 and we get it maybe fall of 2010, which sucks. when it comes out i will buy 2 versions, a ps3 and a 360.

Judging by your RPG thread, you already have too much to play =P

Star Scream said:

K: 3rd Birthday and Agito XIII are also being developed side by side [with FFXIII], but it's certain that the focus will be more on XIII.

Will be funny if Final Fantasy XIII Agito outsells Final Fantasy XIII proper in Japan...

I would fall over laughing, but I wouldn't be surprised now. MHP2G is an absolute beast and the PSP has made that series what it is.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Xen said:

It's nice to see Kitase being supportive of the PS3 and showing a desire to do hard work. We need more dudes like him.

outlawauron said:
Star Scream said:

I would fall over laughing, but I wouldn't be surprised now. MHP2G is an absolute beast and the PSP has made that series what it is.

Oh absolutely. I can't wait for this week's Japan Preview because I have a feeling MHP2G sold a ton last week! ;)