By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 2009: PC's Best Year EVER (possibly better than all consoles combined)

vlad321 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Save for a few gems, this list is really not that impressive. Sorry PC elitists, no one cares. Besides, I can't believe your list includes games like Mirror's Edge and Saint's Row 2 that console gamers got months ago. I'll try not to choke when I laugh too hard.

Half-Life, Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft (UT would be on here if you completely erase from your memory that UT3 EVER existed). If a new game that has any of those is released in a given year, it really doesn't matter what the consoles have. You can stack MGS4, LBP, SSBB, MKWii, Gears, any FF, ANY game, and it will still be a Technical K.O. 30 seconds into round 1 in favor of the PC. Since I see Stacrcraft in 2009 and a Diablo game in 2010, the winners are already set for those years. I'm hoping for a Half-Life 3 in 2011, I'm REALLY hoping, but I doubt it.

T.K.O. huh? Did someone laugh to hard that they were too punch drunk to defend themselves?

Tease.

Around the Network

K.O. or the humble knock out was what you should have said, how could anyone get a TKO 30 seconds into a fight? The referee doesn't work that fast...

Tease.

vlad321 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Save for a few gems, this list is really not that impressive. Sorry PC elitists, no one cares. Besides, I can't believe your list includes games like Mirror's Edge and Saint's Row 2 that console gamers got months ago. I'll try not to choke when I laugh too hard.
Half-Life, Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft (UT would be on here if you completely erase from your memory that UT3 EVER existed). If a new game that has any of those is released in a given year, it really doesn't matter what the consoles have. You can stack MGS4, LBP, SSBB, MKWii, Gears, any FF, ANY game, and it will still be a Technical K.O. 30 seconds into round 1 in favor of the PC. Since I see Stacrcraft in 2009 and a Diablo game in 2010, the winners are already set for those years. I'm hoping for a Half-Life 3 in 2011, I'm REALLY hoping, but I doubt it.

Well ... hmm ... no. 

One single game, even StarCraft, cannot singlehandedly make the PC lineup win against a stellar year for consoles.  MKWii, M. Prime 3, Brawl, GTA4, LBP, Gears 2, MGS4, etc. etc.  I mean, I love StarCraft as much as anyone.  I played it like a normal human being in 1998, and kept doing so until it ATE my LIFE around 2000.  Then I escaped from the frying pan into the fire known as Diablo II.  Point being, I respect what a juggernaut that game is, but no game is THAT much of a juggernaut.  But I'm not saying SCII won't win 2009 for the PC.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Well ... hmm ... no. 

One single game, even StarCraft, cannot singlehandedly make the PC lineup win against a stellar year for consoles.  MKWii, M. Prime 3, Brawl, GTA4, LBP, Gears 2, MGS4, etc. etc.  I mean, I love StarCraft as much as anyone.  I played it like a normal human being in 1998, and kept doing so until it ATE my LIFE around 2000.  Then I escaped from the frying pan into the fire known as Diablo II.  Point being, I respect what a juggernaut that game is, but no game is THAT much of a juggernaut.  But I'm not saying SCII won't win 2009 for the PC.

We can let the numbers speak for them. The latest entries for each of the 4 franchises are still played today (I'm not counting WoW as Warcraft here). Just going on USEast at 7am right now on Diablo II shows that there's still 31k people playing it, and a little over 189k in Battle.net overall. That's also after the 350k CD keys that got banned by Blizzard several months ago. Now don't get me wrong, but how many games from the years these games were released are still played with such geat fervor. In fact I'm sure there's games that came out in 2008 that aren't even getting this much attention. 8 or 10 years from 2009, people will still be playing SC2, and no one will give a shit about MGS or LBP or Gears2 or MKWii or Brawl or GTA4, etc. etc. In 8-10 years after 2010 people will still be playing Diablo 3 in droves and as before, they won't give a shit about any of the games mentioned above. You also have to admit that there are many people(not all) out there who will buy SC2, and won't buy any other game until Diablo 3 comes out (if then).

Edit: I'm willing to bet they are still selling pretty damn well too!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Well ... hmm ... no. 

We can let the numbers speak for them. The latest entries for each of the 4 franchises are still played today (I'm not counting WoW as Warcraft here). Just going on USEast at 7am right now on Diablo II shows that there's still 31k people playing it, and a little over 189k in Battle.net overall. That's also after the 350k CD keys that got banned by Blizzard several months ago. Now don't get me wrong, but how many games from the years these games were released are still played with such geat fervor. In fact I'm sure there's games that came out in 2008 that aren't even getting this much attention. 8 or 10 years from 2009, people will still be playing SC2, and no one will give a shit about MGS or LBP or Gears2 or MKWii or Brawl or GTA4, etc. etc. In 8-10 years after 2010 people will still be playing Diablo 3 in droves and as before, they won't give a shit about any of the games mentioned above. You also have to admit that there are many people(not all) out there who will buy SC2, and won't buy any other game until Diablo 3 comes out (if then).

The recent survey in the United States about console usage showing that the PS2 was still the most played system and that indicates otherwise.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Well ... hmm ... no.

One single game, even StarCraft, cannot singlehandedly make the PC lineup win against a stellar year for consoles. MKWii, M. Prime 3, Brawl, GTA4, LBP, Gears 2, MGS4, etc. etc. I mean, I love StarCraft as much as anyone. I played it like a normal human being in 1998, and kept doing so until it ATE my LIFE around 2000. Then I escaped from the frying pan into the fire known as Diablo II. Point being, I respect what a juggernaut that game is, but no game is THAT much of a juggernaut. But I'm not saying SCII won't win 2009 for the PC.

The recent survey in the United States about console usage showing that the PS2 was still the most played system and that indicates otherwise.

Define game system.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

theRepublic said:
shio said:
theRepublic said:
Where did you come up with 280 million PC gamers?

I probably need to buy a graphics card if I want to play these games. :(

I got it from PCGA. They actually said it was over 260 millions I think.

Found it.  It is actually 260 million PC gamers worldwide (in 2007).  That number actually comes from DFC Intelligence, which is a market research company.

I wonder how many of those people can actually play these new games though.  I would consider myself a PC gamer, and I'm pretty sure my computer would struggle on those new games without an upgrade.

Graphics card attach rate is 10%. I remeber seeing it not much ago. Assuming all of these PCs are used for gaming, try to find out how many PCs have been sold in the last two years and we can get an idea.

On-topic: besides three or four games that I've actually heard about, there is just one thing for me to say: shit sandwich. Going by shio's standards, I could say the next iteration of North American Hunting Extravaganza is actually an upcoming game which all Wii owners are looking foward and will blow everything out of the water.

fazz said:
Will you guys make fun of me if I say that I want The Sims 3? >_>

I would, but I think the huge fanbase would track me down and lay the hurt down.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying one of the most popular franchises ever created.

vlad321 said:
Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Well ... hmm ... no.

One single game, even StarCraft, cannot singlehandedly make the PC lineup win against a stellar year for consoles. MKWii, M. Prime 3, Brawl, GTA4, LBP, Gears 2, MGS4, etc. etc. I mean, I love StarCraft as much as anyone. I played it like a normal human being in 1998, and kept doing so until it ATE my LIFE around 2000. Then I escaped from the frying pan into the fire known as Diablo II. Point being, I respect what a juggernaut that game is, but no game is THAT much of a juggernaut. But I'm not saying SCII won't win 2009 for the PC.

That's because they're awesome legendary games with no sequels/successors. If SCII had come out in 2003 it would be a different story.

And, SMB, SMB3, and SMW have all broken a million sales in Virtual Console, and SM64 isn't far off.  (MK64 also has.)  How's that for continued demand 12, 28, even THIRTY-THREE years later?  I bet the purchasers play them too.  How many people will still give a shit about (and play) StarCraft in 2031?  THAT, my friend, is legend.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

haxxiy said:
theRepublic said:
shio said:
theRepublic said:
Where did you come up with 280 million PC gamers?

I probably need to buy a graphics card if I want to play these games. :(

I got it from PCGA. They actually said it was over 260 millions I think.

Found it.  It is actually 260 million PC gamers worldwide (in 2007).  That number actually comes from DFC Intelligence, which is a market research company.

I wonder how many of those people can actually play these new games though.  I would consider myself a PC gamer, and I'm pretty sure my computer would struggle on those new games without an upgrade.

Graphics card attach rate is 10%. I remeber seeing it not much ago. Assuming all of these PCs are used for gaming, try to find out how many PCs have been sold in the last two years and we can get an idea.

On-topic: besides three or four games that I've actually heard about, there is just one thing for me to say: shit sandwich. Going by shio's standards, I could say the next iteration of North American Hunting Extravaganza is actually an upcoming game which all Wii owners are looking foward and will blow everything out of the water.

My standard is pretty high. I have only listed games that seem to have good potential, because the website I got these games from had over twice as much exclusive 2009 PC games, and I had to remove over half of them from my list because I didn't think they had much potential.

And again, what games I listed are you saying that look terrible or have no expectations? I'm curious about that. Here's my list:

ACTION

Americas Army 3
Battlefield Heroes
Black Sky
Braid
Chrome 2
Collapse
Cryostasis
Delta Force: Angel Falls
Fallen Empire: Legions
Fez
Gish 2