By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kiss Your Old, Hard Nintendo Games Goodbye

RolStoppable said:
ssj12 said:
Why cant games just have difficulty levels like most games.. is it that hard to do.. Resistance had 4 difficulty levels, Unreal Tournament has 15. A Mario game with a very hard difficulty would be fun. Mario has been easy since Mario Sunshine. I'm just going to hate to see how much easier Star Fox is going to be on the Wii... Star Fox on the GC was pathetically easy, it pissed me off the Nintendo would do that to such a great franchise.

Oh, and I'd love someone to try to beat Godlike in Unreal without dying, I managed it once. Lightning fast reflexes is the key to all headshots =]

Is that to difficult to do? maybe for a grandmother but for the hardcore and most younger casuals its not hard to accomplish by training in the easier difficulties to get better.

Why Nintendo cant put in multi-difficulties like they used to is beyond me...

I'd like to see a list of Nintendo games that had multiple difficulty settings in the past, but are restricted to one difficulty level now.

I know its not a direct connection but I think Super Mario RPG had multi-difficulties if I remember right. And Super Paper Mario is a Mario based RPG which doesnt. I think Star Fox 64 did (have to look), umm... i forget if theres anything else. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

"Mario has been easy since Mario Sunshine."

...Good thing that was the most recent Mario game, so your argument doesn't make sense...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@ssj12,

However, the Paper Mario series does not have difficulty settings.
As far as Star Fox 64, I don't remember either.

RolStoppable said:
ssj12 said:
RolStoppable said:

I'd like to see a list of Nintendo games that had multiple difficulty settings in the past, but are restricted to one difficulty level now.

I know its not a direct connection but I think Super Mario RPG had multi-difficulties if I remember right. And Super Paper Mario is a Mario based RPG which doesnt. I think Star Fox 64 did (have to look), umm... i forget if theres anything else.

I've only played Super Mario RPG on an emu (game was never released in europe), I can't remember to be able to choose the difficulty. I haven't beaten the game, so it could be that there are unlockable higher levels of difficulty.

Star Fox 64 had an expert mode which was unlocked after getting a medal in each of the 15 levels. So nothing to choose from before beating the game on normal with achievements.

A pretty bad "list" if you ask me, I thought if you made such a claim you would have already several games in mind and not just two games you even were unsure about whether they had multiple difficulties.

ok even if they dont let me rephrase that then

Why cant they put in multiple difficulty levels? Wouldnt that make everyone happy.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I don't think you should be pinning all this on Nintendo.

Sony and Microsoft don't do much of that anymore either...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Difficulty settings are cheap anyone they just make the amount of damage that enemies do to you higher, therefore making it harder... often reduce the amount of ammo around the game... all cheap difficulty things.

As if a Mario game can have a difficulty setting like that?

God I hate this friggen argument, Miyamoto basically wants simplified controls, as few buttons as possible to do as much as possible so that it doesn't confuse people and become overly complicated.

I still reference the original Super Mario Bros, all of them have been EASY to play, the challenge comes in the contents and the progression of the game.

I've even read somewhere that some of the developers on Mario Galaxy were worried that Miyamoto was making the game too hard, I bet my bottom dollar that when Galaxy comes out it is one hell of a difficult game in the later levels, guaranteed.

redspear said:
ckmlb said:
Bodhesatva said:

If you're looking for difficult games, obviously you should look to multiplayer. Why would you ever want to face AI -- even reasonably good AI -- when you could play a highly experienced person? Or even a team of persons working together?

This is a main reason why I love Ninja Gaiden, cause it's one of the few newer games that can make you want to kill somebody :)

I have to ask is this the original Ninja Gaiden than yes it started out very easy but made you want to break the controller once you got to the temple.

If you are talking about NG:Black than maybe it is just me but that was a fairly easy game that I beat in one weekend and to me also didn't quite have the feel of the original as well.

Someone mentioned A Link to the Past as hard I guess maybe it was but that was another game I sat down and beat over the course of one sleepless weekend(fun game though did find myself cnfused as where to go once or twice).

To me the Ghost and Goblins series has always been insanely hard as was the Contra series(without cheat codes). I thought Rush'n Attack was hard at first but I played a bit ago and was amazed how easy it was.

As for difficulty in games they have always been easy for the most part but they were still fun Castlevania was fun but nothing outstandingly hard Final Fantasy is fun and a little drawn out but not hard. SMB has never been difficult.

Of course some older games were hard because crap controls(Milons Secret Castle cough cough)

LOL.

One thing you forgot to add when I read that post was.

I hope Jack Thompson doesn't read these forums, he might use that comment as fact for when someone kills someone one day with a ninja sword.

Wow, you guys just noticed this... trend? *yawn*

I noticed it 9 months ago.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Dont`really care about the game`s difficulties, I play them for fun, actually I prefer them easy or moderate, so I don`t have to take a lot of time finishing them. As Bodthesava said, if you want difficulty, play against other people, they are by far more entertaining than bots and AI. You can learn a lot of stuff from them, and many can be unpredictable.

@Kwaad,

Nope. I noticed it 12 year ago when games went from 2D to 3D.