By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money has Sony lost on the PS3?

RPG said:
Blu-ray worked out in terms of it winning the format war and being adopted by the huge film companies and the PS3 had a big role to play in that. Sales for the console though were not what was expected but Sony have to learn from this as does any business.

I dont think a PS4 will or has to be a graphical leap in terms of tech which the PS3 was. A modified blu-ray player and a more powerful cell processor is the safe and smart option. For one devs will know how to program for it and secondly it will not be £425.

Had the 360 put HD DVD into the 360, Blu Ray and HD-DVD would still be warring. Microsoft didn't care until it was too late and quite frankly I am glad fate worked out that way. Videogames are not about changing the format for every homes DVD format under the rug. It's about being a videogame system. Sony obviously did not care about gaming this gen.

Around the Network
RPG said:
Blu-ray worked out in terms of it winning the format war and being adopted by the huge film companies and the PS3 had a big role to play in that. Sales for the console though were not what was expected but Sony have to learn from this as does any business.

I dont think a PS4 will or has to be a graphical leap in terms of tech which the PS3 was. A modified blu-ray player and a more powerful cell processor is the safe and smart option. For one devs will know how to program for it and secondly it will not be £425.

This is exactly what i believe as well.  It will also be a relief for publishers and developer as well since the cost would not jump so high for development and we would have a better knowledge of the architecture.

I TAKE NO SIDES

I'm preparing an article about the financial results of the last 10 years for April, when the full year results for Sony and Nintendo are in and Q3 for MS, but here you can see the Profit/Loss in $ million from 2004. For Sony and Microsoft these results are Game Division only.

This is a table with profits/losses numbers going quite a while back. The numbers are accurate as far as I've seen:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3873812&postcount=1

It's missing the last quarter when SCE posted a $300-$400 million loss or something like that. As you can see, SCE has lost upwards of $3.5 billion since the PS3 got launched, and this includes PS2/PSP's profits. Therefore, PS3 losses are almost surely above $4 billion, perhaps near or above $5 billion.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

SCE has no money to launch PS4. Sony Corporation has to fund the PS3, they were forcing Blu-ray to support Sony Electronics.

Around the Network

MS got lucky with releasing the 360 so early, a year later and you would see HD-DVD in every 360. Then again costs would be higher, more space for games etc so everything would have been different.

I think Sony thought of the bigger picture which was blu-ray. Do they not get some money for every blu-ray film and player sold?

Film >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gaming in terms of money and Sony wanted to dip there hands in both pots. One has worked and blu-ray is getting adopted nicely, when HS becomes more popular so will blu-ray but the PS3 did suffer.

The PS3 is suffering because of the price, some time or another that will be fixed and Sony know that. Also Playstation brand is big and this is what Sony are still hoping helps them, I cant help but think at £200 PS3 will do very well.

neotea said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
neotea said:
The ps3 was suppose to sell like hot cakes. That was what sony plan even with the lost on the hardware. The software was suppose to sell like crazy to to make up the different as with a higher userbase for the ps3 comes higher software purchase. That hasnt happen the plan to sell like crazy didnt come through and software sales are not as high as expected. Right now to cut losses sony has to lay left and right to keep running properly and appease shareholders.

Sony never expected the PS3 to sell like "hot cakes". They expected to launch at a loss to bring Blu Ray into millions of homes while their videogame system's name took a nose dive. In otherwords, "suicide mission". :)

Don't forget sony favorite saying "sell 6 million console alone without games, and peop will even get a second job to get a ps3."  I'll never forget that saying.

I was pissed off beyond words when Kaz Hirai opened his mouth. I felt like punching the little faggot. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEERRRRR!!

RPG said:
MS got lucky with releasing the 360 so early, a year later and you would see HD-DVD in every 360. Then again costs would be higher, more space for games etc so everything would have been different.

I think Sony thought of the bigger picture which was blu-ray. Do they not get some money for every blu-ray film and player sold?

Film >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gaming in terms of money and Sony wanted to dip there hands in both pots. One has worked and blu-ray is getting adopted nicely, when HS becomes more popular so will blu-ray but the PS3 did suffer.

The PS3 is suffering because of the price, some time or another that will be fixed and Sony know that. Also Playstation brand is big and this is what Sony are still hoping helps them, I cant help but think at £200 PS3 will do very well.

Sony does get money for blu-ray disc and player sold, but the reality is they are part of the blu ray group and there share is divided among every1.  Sony only gets a bigger slice of the pie if its there on  film or player that are sold are there own, which was what sony was banking on as well as higher hd tv adoption rate.

I TAKE NO SIDES

neotea said:
RPG said:

Sony does get money for blu-ray disc and player sold, but the reality is they are part of the blu ray group and there share is divided among every1.  Sony only gets a bigger slice of the pie if its there on  film or player that are sold are there own, which was what sony was banking on as well as higher hd tv adoption rate.

Blockbuster video also gets a cut because they made Blu Ray exclusive to Blockbuster. Colombia pictures also blocked off HD-DVD from getting DVD's.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
neotea said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
neotea said:
The ps3 was suppose to sell like hot cakes. That was what sony plan even with the lost on the hardware. The software was suppose to sell like crazy to to make up the different as with a higher userbase for the ps3 comes higher software purchase. That hasnt happen the plan to sell like crazy didnt come through and software sales are not as high as expected. Right now to cut losses sony has to lay left and right to keep running properly and appease shareholders.

Sony never expected the PS3 to sell like "hot cakes". They expected to launch at a loss to bring Blu Ray into millions of homes while their videogame system's name took a nose dive. In otherwords, "suicide mission". :)

Don't forget sony favorite saying "sell 6 million console alone without games, and peop will even get a second job to get a ps3."  I'll never forget that saying.

I was pissed off beyond words when Kaz Hirai opened his mouth. I felt like punching the little faggot. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEERRRRR!!

As much as i love sony as a company I dont love them as much anymore cause of that saying alone.  that alone made me just wanna kick him in the nuts.  I still like sony but that was an outrage.

I TAKE NO SIDES