By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money has Sony lost on the PS3?

Some time ago I remember someone said that the PS3 has lost more then the PS2 so first question is who said that? Secondly does anyone know how much money Sony has lost on the PS3 to date? Simply want to put into perspective myself if Sony really are doomed with the PS3. Cant say anything until I see some numbers from the gaming division.

Is the "PS3 is doomed and will be discontinued" line a bit of melodrama or are people onto something that the PS3 is such a failure financially, it will finish a brand which has sold 240 million consoles. Would love to know that.

Around the Network

Hmm, I think it was 4 billion?

Wasnt there a graph not long ago showing sonys financials where they had actually started to get better...or am i imagining this?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Yea, but it wasn't because of the PS3.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/aug/19/ps3hascostsonymorethanit

I actually saw financial reports that painted an even bleaker picture, but I'm trying to dig those up somewhere.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

All that software, hardware, accessories the PS2 sold lost all on the PS3? WOW

Oh, looks like it was 3 billion, not 4 billion. But the number is rising.

Before the ps3 came  out on the market it cost them 3 billion in R&D. the 3 billion has now become a sunken cost (lost and wont be able to recoup.) I'm unsure of how much more they lost since the ps3 hit the market though.  someone can probably add that up.  each time sony post a quarterly lost it can probably be added to the 3 billion alrdy lost.

I TAKE NO SIDES

yeah, financially the PS3 has been a huge disaster. Theoretically it's in hopes of making blu-ray the new standard, but whether or not that actually happens is for the future to tell. Either way PS3=money hole.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Sony is a company though and they want to make money, one thing is to abandon ship after losing a large amount but losing huge sums like 3 billion is a whole other matter. Have to think Sony are in it for the long run especially when they "teched out" the PS3 so much it should last many years.