By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - List of U.S. holidays that boost video game sales. What about Europe?

Just_Ben said:

Is it realy normal to get "things"for communion/ confirmation in Poland? In germany it's common to give money to the kid (a lot of money). Most of that is saved for the 18th birthday (To make a driver license, cover cost for university, e.g.).

Yeah. Gifts are still very popular. Especially for godfather/godmather who are destineted to buy expensive stuff (laptops, bikes, consloles etc.) It doesn't mean noone gives money though. Also many kids buys consoles for money they got.

Around the Network

@ outlawron... what's that supposed to mean!?

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Yeh, 1 thing at xmas I know aetheists that get £300 SPENT On them so... xmas is not for christians,... everybody gets commercial loving :)

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

I remember reading an article in a newspaper about Christmas, and here, in the UK, religion doesn't take much part in Christmas. It was about Muslims, Athiests, Christians, Jeehovahs Witnesses (spell?), and Buddhists all enjoying Christians.

It's more about getting together with your family and sharing gifts than the religion stuff.

Okay well can someone make a list, like I did, for their country of holidays or threeday weekends that may boost sales (this could help ioi out in estimating PAL sales).

Someone mentioned Poland having a major boost during May b/c of Catholic holidays, First Holy Communion. BTW Poland is 91% CAtholic so these kinds of things affect sales. Ioi take notice! THis maybe unique to Poland, what about Italy & Spain.

Someone else mentioned most of Europe has a Summer driving season of boosted handheld sales from June - August. Interesting I think the U.S. may have something similar b/c when schools are out June (especially) and July see boosts for handhelds usually but just from June-July and part of August as school is out.

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

Around the Network

Notably I can't think of a single country with an equivalent to your Thanksgiving, since none us want to remember the native peoples we drove of when we settled our lands hundreds/thousands of years ago. =P

Actually the Pilgrims/Puritans ate with the native Americans and were friendly to each other at that time (about 1621, the first Thanksgiving).  The Europeans didn't come thousands of years ago, the first English settlement was Jamestown, Virginia - 400 years ago this year. Tho new evidence shows European/caucasian skulls have been found predating the indians in the Americas but we're not supposed to know about that. ANyways I'm way off topic - back to the VG sales discussion.

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

In Finland, long weekends/holidays that may have boost in sales:

Easter (the date varies yearly) 4-day weekend, people visit their relatives, and may buy SW/HW as birthday presents to their relative kids (who are born in between 1.2-1.4 (possibly even 1.6).

First of May, 1.5, 2 to 5-day weekend, same as easter or helatorstai.

Can't remember in which christian holiday "helatorstai" (torstai=thursday) relates to (varies yearly, in may). 3 to 4-day weekend, birthday presents to kids born in between 1.3-1.6.

December, as christmas season, starting around independence day, 6.12, since at that time tax refunds arrive, ends 1.2 (when christmas sales end, which start right after christmas).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.