By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - List of U.S. holidays that boost video game sales. What about Europe?

I posted this in a news article but it belongs in the forums:
I want to list the American holidays that, I believe, affect video game sales; I think everyone interested in sales should be aware of them. Some of these holidays apply to Europe and Japan also:

The biggest holidays/seasons for sales in the U.S. are the Christian holidays:

Easter: either March-April
Thanksgiving: last Thursday of November of a full week; triggering:
Christmas Season: November-December, the biggest and longest of all.

Now some lesser known ones that slightly boost sales; mostly on Monday creating a threeday weekend or Sunday boosting sales for the previous week:

beginning of year: New Years - unlike Japan no affect on sales that I'm aware of except for some in-store sales to get rid of Christmas leftovers.

mid-JAN: Martin Luther King -not much of a sales boost, country is still broke from Christmas.

end of FEB: Presidents/Washingtons Day - this is a big one before the Spring Break sales dive.

early-MAY: Mothers Day - not much affect on video game sales.

end of MAY: Memorial Day - further boosted by school/classes out by this time.

mid-JUN: Fathers Day - big sales boost week prior.

early-JUL: Independence Day - only boosts sales if on a weekday.

begin-SEP: Labor Day - slight sales increase after sales having fallen during August as classes resume.

mid-OCT: Columbus Day - fairly big sales boost before X'mas season.

The rest I've already mentioned.

Comments?

I'd like to hear what major holidays Britain and the rest of Europe have that affects sales...

A note on Easter:

I would think Easter sales vary in Europe due to the no. of Catholics in the country b/c (at least in the U.S.) I'm only aware of Catholics buying gifts for Easter. Protestants (like me) don't celebrate by buying toys on Easter but that may only be a Southern thing (where I live). Enlighten me.

FYI:

The U.S. is 24% Catholic and 56% Protestant. 

Canada is 46% Catholic and 29% Protestant (so Easter videogame sales, I'd think, would be more important up there but I could be wrong...)

So what about Britain and the rest of Europe?

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

Around the Network

Well, Easter won't be very big in Europe. Europe has abadoned God for Islam. The giant churches are now mostly tourist attractions now.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

lol... Nah it's just europe is above god lol ;)

I don't mean to make this topic only about Easter's affect I'd like to know if there are holidays/seasons that boost sales that are foreign to the U.S., like Japan's Buddhist holidays has: G-week, Obon, etc.

Heh, off topic but a good point is already brought up; I was thinking secular holidays like Labor Day but are the Muslim holidays beginning to create new sales boosts in Europe yet, maybe France (where are 8% Muslim)? Some predict by 2050 Europe will be Eurabia and there may only be Muslim holdays - are Europeans okay with their continent becoming Muslim? How will this affect the video game market over there?

"The next time someone tells you Compact Discs are the wave of the future, tell them the future doesn't belong to snails!" - Nintendo Power, April 1994

lol the thing is in europe we don't care that much about religion anyway at least the western part of europe.... so no it won't be muslim religion for simple fact that the government doesn't care.....
religion is about as important in europe than US football lol....

Around the Network

Well, Christmas is big, differed by country, but big. That is not only because of gifts its also caused by the Christmas allowance, people have more money to buy things for themselves.

At eastern most kids get presents (candy), some are getting more,  but no real expensive ones. A 40€ game, maybe, but no console. For the summer holidays there is maybe a spike for Handhelds (games), caused by the fact that a lot of people driving to there vacation, and kids need something in the car.

Well basically thats it, except for birthdays, they differ a lot for the months, as far as i know Jan-Mar and September have the most birthdays, so could be a "peek" there as well.

"God for Islam"
"Some predict by 2050 Europe will be Eurabia"
"are Europeans okay with their continent becoming Muslim?"

==> who cares about this ?
and how do you think it will change anything to the video game market ?
And who cares about 2050 ?

I mean Muslim people are consumers like the others.
They adapt themselves to the market !
I mean the main holidays season is CHRISTMAS
not because people believe in Jesus
but because it is like this lol

CHRSITMAS in europe = FATHER NOEL = ALL RELIGION

There are only 1 big holidays season in europe and I believe in US too : DECEMBER !

Time to Work !

Just_Ben,

Why no console ?
Of course they will buy console!
Holidays are the good moment to buy something huger than usal like a 300$ console (depending of wallet too ...)

Time to Work !

libellule it's not Father Noel it's Santa claus (well for the US)

and Just_Ben was saying easter they have small present and not a console not in december....

ohhhhhh,

sorry for misreading ...

"Santa claus" lol funny

"easter" ==> when u get chocolate eggs ? lol
so yes, easter has no effect compared to december holidays.

Time to Work !