By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Let's Talk: Will 2009 be sonys year?

After E3 i'll get back to you. For now Sony is in the lead for 2009 based on quality games.

Around the Network
NicholasCage said:
Most likely, yes.

Nintendo is losing ground in Japan now. Seeing the upcoming games for PS3 this year, they will win it there. For instance.

Dec 08: White Knight Chronicles
Feb 09: Demon's Soul, Street Fighter 5, Yakuza 3
March 09: Resident Evil 5, Warriors Orochi
April 09: Final Fantasy 7 Movie + FF13 Demo, Killzone 2

Barely see anything the rest of the year except for Final Fantasy 13 being EXCLUSIVE for Japan only. Also, new PSP colors came out just yesterday for Japan.

I can't see Nintendo losing ground in Japan considering:

- The DSi;

- Wii Motion Plus + Wii Sports Resort

- Monster Hunter 3 (It will be huge in Japan, I'm sure).

Awesome trailer for the new Ganbare Goemon game, to be released in March, 2009 for... Well, it's a Pachinko machine with a display. Oh, God.

*NEW SUPER MARIO BROS WII*:  Now it's gonna happen!!! Thank you so much Nintendo.

megaman79 said:
Dryden said:
megaman79 said:

Its not fair when one company deliberatly prices their product cheaper with the aim of eliminating their competition bcoz they cant price that product at the same price. Its anti competitive and there should be laws against it unless your happy shopping at starbucks, mcdonalds, wallmart and target for the rest of your life.

I like netscape, MS used this same tactic.

This goes back to the original PlayStation -- Sony were the pioneers of dumping to put their competitors out of business. The day Sega announced the Saturn was going to be $399 at E3, the Sony keynote speaker walked up to the podium 15 mintues later and said, "two-hundred and ninety-nine dollars," then turned right back around and walked off. There had already been a furor over whether or not Sega, Nintendo, 3DO, Atari, and/or others would file a joint lawsuit against Sony to stop the PlayStation's release in North America on the premise of "dumping" (deliberately selling a product overseas at a loss and significantly less than your domestic price, just to stifle competition).

One of the reasons Sony was able to weather the losses on the original PlayStation is that they cut every corner they could to get the price as low as possible in manufacture. One example being that nearly the entire laser assembly was constructed from plastic. This was later discovered to be susceptible to warping and caused a number of failures in the first gen units. Oh well. Another crucial decision was having the PS built around a flimsy, but cheap, clamshell lid instead of a tray or slot loading drive.

With the PS3, Sony went 'wrong' in just about every aspect and unnecessarily drove up the price of the console. Microsoft, on the other hand, cut every corner they could. Sure, Microsoft's reliability was terrible at first, but then, so was Sony's back in 1995. All Microsoft has done is copy Sony's own business model from 15 years ago.

Yep, welcome to multinational conglomerates owning the vodeogame industry. You all better be thankfull that atleast we've still got one "true" game company making systems. Granted Santa's (shigeru) gone a bit crazy lately but he's still got the magic.

Lets not forget the quality of Nintendo products. Never has anything of theirs been crappy built.

Except the original NES which didn't work 60% of the time you would put the cartridge in.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

"4. Nintendo doesn't have any big releases that we know of. Microsoft has some"

after this statement i knew this thread FAIL hard. look at pre TGS announcements and new announcement for nintendo and 3rd party wii exclusives and you know that this year is a wii year.

360 console not only will have best ps3 games since those are multiplatform, but also have some great exclusive/timed exclusive like Lost Planet 2, Star Ocean 4, Alan Wake, ArmA 2, Halo Wars, Huxley, Magna Carta 2, Ninety-Nine Nights II, Ninja Blade, Prey 2, RACE Pro, Shadow Harvest, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Venetica, Warhound , and probably DoA5, Forza 3

@Godot, say what??? NES didn't work 60% of time probably because you failed to blow on your cartridges like a real pro.....

Around the Network
NicholasCage said:
Most likely, yes.

Nintendo is losing ground in Japan now. Seeing the upcoming games for PS3 this year, they will win it there. For instance.

Dec 08: White Knight Chronicles
Feb 09: Demon's Soul, Street Fighter 5, Yakuza 3
March 09: Resident Evil 5, Warriors Orochi
April 09: Final Fantasy 7 Movie + FF13 Demo, Killzone 2

Barely see anything the rest of the year except for Final Fantasy 13 being EXCLUSIVE for Japan only. Also, new PSP colors came out just yesterday for Japan.

I'm not sure I understand. So Sony has no more big game released in Japan after April for 2009 but they would still win it in Japan based on the momentum it created from Dec 08 to April 09. Is that what you are implying?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Can't be confirmed until E3.

That said, I think PS3 was the best console in 2008 and I think it will take the 2009 crown too...

i doubt it it will end up like every other year so far. Sony made some bad decisions this gen and hopefuklly they can make it better next gen but IMHO if they do turn it around it will be too late in the Gen to truly matter to the average consumer but i could be wrong

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

every year is supposedly sony's year. i stopped caring...

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

No, it won't be.

Also, when PS3 starts turning a profit, they won't be advertising, clearly it has the legs to have done well enough to get to that point with the amount/level of advertising its had so far, why would they take money they are finally making and burn it on something that potentially has no impact.