By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google laptops by 2010

http://venturebeat.com/2009/01/01/android-netbooks-on-their-way-likely-by-2010/

The unthinkable has happened. Google's mobile OS Android is to be ported to small laptops by 2010. The article contains a proof of concept quick port to show Android running on a laptop, but also states that Google, Intel and other Open Handset Alliance partners are planning netbooks running Android before or in 2010.

With Microsoft still using Windows XP for lower-spec laptops, and them not being used for much other than office work and the internet, Linux is an ideal choice. However, lack of commercial backing, consumer preference for Windows, and poor integration work on the part of the OEMs has led to Linux laptop sales being much less than Windows. With Google promoting a Linux-based OS, these problems would be lessened and Linux may have a chance at mainstream adoption.

Around the Network

I think Windows will still dominate anyways. I don't think Linux will increase its numbers that much. I think when people think Linux, they will think it will be a lot harder to use vs. Windows and would rather get Windows.

PwrUps said:
I think Windows will still dominate anyways. I don't think Linux will increase its numbers that much. I think when people think Linux, they will think it will be a lot harder to use vs. Windows and would rather get Windows.

That's the point. It won't be "Linux". It will be "Google". Consumers are attracted to Google's brand and google has considerable marketing resources at its disposal. So it will be the technical superiority of Linux with the usability of Google.

Go Google!

google elected world leader by 2020

Around the Network

I would isntantly buy an android based laptop. By then there would be a ton of apps and developers would probably instantly jump onto it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Finally, a worthy contender?

So when are we going to find out that google is actually run by an advanced race of cyborgs who are slowly, subtly taking over our entire society?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Dallinor said:
Finally, a worthy contender?

I'm actually predicting Microsoft's market share to drop to about 70% by 2010 against Apple, Linux, and the many other OS types.

Unless Microsoft can make an OS that is OMFG they will eventually hit the point of a death spiral.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

^
Apple OSX imo .... =D