By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS3 will sell 100 mln. by the end of 2012

This endless delusional optimism from the most extreme PS3 fans is getting old ...

The higher development costs and lower hardware sales of the PS3 is already traslating into third party publishers taking smaller and smaller risks on the PS3. This low risk mentality will translate into fewer and fewer exclusive games, and games that are developed for the PS3 will be heavily focused in genres that already have several games that are million sellers. What this means is the PS3 will seem like a better system to the kind of people who own a PS3 already, and a much worse system to people who have been unimpressed so far.

In the previous generation the XBox and Gamecube started to have difficulty attracting new customers when they reached 20 Million in sales because they lacked the broad appeal to sell to the typical gamer audience. Being that the market has grown and the difference between the Wii and the HD consoles is more dramatic the HD consoles should be able to get a little further than the XBox and Gamecube did; but by the time each of the HD consoles starts to approach 40 Million in sales, everyone who really cares about FPS, Racing and Sports games will already own a HD console.

Finally, next year we will start to see inexpensive laptops ($500 to $750) which are noticeably more powerful gaming systems than the HD consoles, and even fairly modest gaming PCs will start to devistate the HD consoles. At this point in the generation there is a resurgence in PC gaming as most graphics whores return to their "Home" in the PC gaming world, and western developers start to return focus to suiting their needs.

Around the Network

Oh my god.

Well, we never know what might happen. If we're all honest, we didn't really see the Wii's success coming either, or fully understand it now.

PS3 isn't doing great, but there's still a lot of very popular games coming up - so while Crazzyman's predictions are probably too high, PS3 will sell a bit better over the next 2 years. It will eventually overtake GameCube and Xbox, so you can't call it a complete failure.

And - who knows, maybe at some point the tide will turn. Some long awaited games, price cuts, more HDTV's, blu ray movies...
Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less for the Playstation and its household franchises or home cinema boredom, but I know people used to love that stuff in the past 2 generations.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Has the PS3 sold a million consoles since the last time I visited this thread? That's about the pace it would have to sell at to reach some people's ridiculous predictions.

How about I say something equally as delusional? The Wii will sell 575 million by the end of 2010. This will be right after the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

@HappySqurriel,

The higher development costs
PS3 has STRONG 1st+2nd party support. THAT support is BIGGER, then x360+Wii combined.
In the previous generation the XBox and Gamecube started to have difficulty attracting new customers when they reached 20 Million in sales because they lacked the broad appeal to sell to the typical gamer audience.
LBP, KZ2, GT5, FFXIII, HR, MGS4, EP - PS3 will have games, that will APPEAL to MANY people.
199$ LBP PS3 bundle = MUST HAVE for casual gamers - FACT.
which are noticeably more powerful gaming systems than the HD consoles,
GAMES matter more, then PC power.
PS3 is YET to get it`s BEST looking games in next few years.

@amp316, HAVE FUN WITH Wii sales - http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=52750 I WILL HAVE FUN WITH GAMES, which Wii won`t get. =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Stubborn as a mule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJA1vvMc4I

@ crazzyman. Nintendo is getting more and more support all of the time. Also, I will put Nintendo's first party games against anybodys. They also will have another system. If Sony's numbers continue being in the red, they may not.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Wow.

Anyone having delusions as grand as MikeB and Crazzyman must be in constant pain.

By December 31, 2012, if the PS3 is at seventy million I'd be surprised.

DMeisterJ said:
Wow.

Anyone having delusions as grand as MikeB and Crazzyman must be in constant pain.

By December 31, 2012, if the PS3 is at seventy million I'd be surprised.

See. This a delusional statement.  What those guy are saying is something like, "If an apple falls off of a tree, then the bird flying above that tree might be in danger of getting hit by that apple." 

You know I'm not at all surprised that Crazyman would post something like this. The guy is either a troll account, joke account, or just plain delusional. MikeB, for all the issues I've had with you, I never thought you were crazy. Sure I thought the your fascination with the Cell caused you to be incredibly bias, but I'm actually stunned.

Nothing usually surprises me, but I have to hand it to you because I'm simply floored by the insanity of your prediction. Crazzyman's prediction is actually more reasonable than yours and his prediction flies in the fact of all reason. It's like watching N64 fanboys claim that it will catch and pass the PS1 in 1999. The races was clearly over then as it is now.