By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Flop of 2008?Vote now!

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

That isn't a license to not look in the damn dictionary.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

gebx said:
Flopped based on Sales vs. Expectations - Bioshock
Flopped based on Reviews vs. Expectation - PSN Home

fanboy remark HOME is not a game. Bioshock really didn't flop due to being a 2nd rate port.

how about Valkyria Chronicles?

11ht11 said:

how about Valkyria Chronicles?

Blasphemy!!!

Anyways, All of the Above is so bad i can choose, so i pick them all.

But i'd say alone in the dark for PS2 and Too Human for 360 along with Haze for ps3 were the worst of the worst.

I dunno about Alone in the dark, but Haze and Too human had HUGE hype behind them and they both failed in epic proportions.

Around the Network

what it did flop

Okay here goes my VGC post cherry..... I would go with Haze as the biggest flop. You've got the guys that made Timesplitters into one of the best FPS franchises and then, HAZE. What a waste and I really hope Free Radical gets picked up by someone soon.

If you read this, slap yourself.

PS3 Trophies

I think it's ridiculous to consider something a flop or not on the PS2. I mean PS3 is out and has been for a while so to me thats where a big budget title will fly or flop. PS2 sales are just...I dunno.. there.

At any rate I'd say

Wii - Boom Blox. This was a title that deserved much more. It also had Steven Spielberg's name on it which should have guaranteed a million in sales. Somehow most people standing in line to buy a Wii missed this one. I personally don't understand it. Another case of EA finally puts a decent (even good!) game together nad they get punished for it /shrug

PS3 - To me the SingStar titles are heavilly advertised and seem to have a very limited success. I would consider this a tie with Rock Band. why? when you compare the sales to XBOX360 it seems rather evident that it is not as big a ticket with PS3 owners as it is with other consoles, particularilly the 360, whose numbers more than double the PS3 sales in America.

XBOX360 - Sonic Unleashed. This is more of a personal thing to me rather than sales, but I would imagine with all the popularity Sonic has in comparison to a new, somewhat off-beat title as EA's Mirrors Edge, one would think Sonic would pull in a lot more quarters. Granted EA dumped more advertising in ME but Sonic Unleashed has a lot of hype because it's sonic. I haven't played much and it seems great to me from what little I've played, much better than ME, so I can't understand the low pricing. Could IGN have that much effect on people's purchasing decisions?

Nintendo DS - I'll go with Iron Man. It's Iron Man, it's on a 90m+ console, and it managed to sell about half as wall-e. less than 200,000. Epic Fail. I would have thought that more could be sold just on mistaken identity alone (thought it was a mini-dvd or psp movie).

Sony PSP - Madden '09. It was part of a bundle and it still managed to undersell it's three predicessors. I don't think EA expected that. It still sold well, but not at the Madden level.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

come on, Call of Duty Wii version may be a million seller in the future, it's too early to judge, it's having legs

also, how can you call Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon a flop!
it's going to hit 1 million across all consoles this week and it's selling something like 30k each week, it's not flop! (although it had a terrible launch)

now, Okami is sure flop (although it's sad)

*Banjo and Sonic are not flops for sure

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Welcome shane, and I love the avatar!

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself