By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Flop of 2008?Vote now!

Tenchu IV

Around the Network

Shouldn't the biggest flop always be the game that had the biggest loss?

I mean a game that cost millions and millions of $ to make and even if it sell millions of copies it still loose money.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
Shouldn't the biggest flop always be the game that had the biggest loss?

I mean a game that cost millions and millions of $ to make and even if it sell millions of copies it still loose money.

Too Human cost $70 million, and has sold just 500k. In terms of revenue, that's just $30 million. And that's not even going into money that actually goes to development costs.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Everyone voting for Call of Duty on the Wii is clearly ignoring that it's been out for just a month, and that Wii sales don't happen in just a month.

I am sure it has been mentioned somewhere on the forum, but I considered buying this game for myself and someone else for xmas, and only ever saw one copy from the release date until xmas eve.   I am not suggesting it sold more than VGChartz claim, but am suggesting that it was not very well stocked anywhere.  I live in a top 25 metro area in the US and frequent all of the Best Buys, Circuit City and other vg stores and only one in weeks of looking?!  I don't think Wii owners are to blame so much for this game not being bigger.  It is hard for a game not not to be a flop if you can't find it.  Reminds me of Zak and Wiki which was nowhere to be found for a long time and suffered the same talk of Wii owners not supporting 3rd party games.

"It is hard for a game not not to be a flop if you can't find it."

No, it is not hard or easy, because flopping is not about a product selling out, or being in short supply. It's about profit and acclaim.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

The biggest Flop of 2008 was definitely Too Human. It cost so much and sold so little - an even bigger flop than Shenmue. Hell, it's probably the biggest flop in history.

Biggest Flops per platform in 2008:

Xbox 360: Too Human

PS3: Valkyria Chronicles

Wii: Opoona

I don't know about the PS2 and handhelds.

As an extra I want to mention PC's biggest flop of 2008: Devil May Cry 4. Most of the blame has to go to Capcom though, because they launched DMC4 several months after the consoles, the game had no mouse support, and didn't even release it in Digital Distribution services.

I don't think a flop necessarily sold badly. To me a flop is expectations vs. reality... So with that assumption my flops were:

Multi-platform - GTA IV - It was supposed to drive HD console sales and be the next big "gamer's" game... It sold well, but it didn't help put HD consoles sales over the Wii. And if you look at the 360 gamerscore league it doesn't look like a lot of people are finishing the game or care about finishing it.

PS3 - Little Big Planet - Hyped to no end as one of the pieces of the puzzle to save the PS3, got amazing ratings, but it definately has not changed the current fate of the PS3. The casual crowd seems to have no interest in it and the biggest supporters left seem to be PS3/LBP fanboys who were hyping it before release. It does appeal to a specific crowd, but the trouble is that the crowd is not the majority of gamers, casual or hard core.

360 - Infinite Undiscovery - An exclusive JRPG from Square to help 360 in Japan. While it temorarily helped, the fact is, the 360 is still 3rd in Japan. The final product weren't that stellar when compared with other JRPGs of 2008. Turns out that Infinite Undiscovery seems more like a beta test for Star Ocean IV then its own game.

Bioshock or Eternal Sonata.

I wonder if their sales even covered the cost of porting.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I always expected SupCom for 360 to flop. It brings even my rig to it's knees, and I knew they'd never fit anything close to the true scale of the game into the 360's ram. The scale of everything is the whole point.

I'd have to go with Banjo & Kazooie, as much as I hate to say it. Compared to its N64 counterparts, it's not doing very well It'll struggle to break a million, but it should get there.  I blame demographics, and probably the slight change of gameplay.

It's one of the two games that make me want a 360 (the other being Fable II). :(

I hope the game's legs stay strong. It deserves more sales.

CoD:WaW wii.