By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Old Simpsons or New?

Do you prefer to watch the old Simpsons episodes or the new ones?

I prefer the older ones back when Conan O'Brien was the write and producer, and it seems like there just trying way to hard to be funny in the new episodes and it just doesn't seem to work out at all.

Opinions?

Around the Network

I haven't seen many of the new ones and the ones I have seen weren't brilliant. The old ones on the other-hand are absolute genius.

I prefer the newer episodes they are a lot more pleasant to look at. The animation in the first couple of seasons was horrible especially in the first season. Also the voice acting in the first couple of seasons was sub-par.

I think that things have changed over time. The Simpsons have been around for damn near 20 years! Since then, we've seen the idea of "funny" change quite a few times. Beavis and Butthead, Southpark, Futurama, Family Guy, etc.... All of these shows push boundaries and use shock value and such. The Simpsons have pretty much followed the same formula, and they're still here. I still laugh as much now, as I did then (even if it has become a little predictable). I can't say I prefer old Simpsons or new Simpsons. I just enjoy The Simpsons.

Around season 6,7 and 8, thats when the show was at its peak

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

Season 5 was the best ever season.

Homer's Barbershop Quartet
Homer Goes Back to College
Rosebud
Homer the Vigilante.

Viva le David Mirkin (although he had nothing to do with HBQ)

Even if the quality of writing has declined over the last past years I still rather watch the Simpsons than most other shows on TV except The Amazing Race, Family Guy or South Park. So far I haven't missed one single episode of the Simpsons.

The Simpsons aren't really that much less funny now than they were years ago, it's just that they're old(er) now. If you like the older ones more then it probably just means that you liked them back when the show felt fresh to you.

Words Of Wisdom said:
The Simpsons aren't really that much less funny now than they were years ago, it's just that they're old(er) now. If you like the older ones more then it probably just means that you liked them back when the show felt fresh to you.

Good point with 400+ episodes its hard to come up with fresh and cool ideas its still one of the best shows on TV and to me a must watch show.

SamuelRSmith said:
Season 5 was the best ever season.

Homer's Barbershop Quartet
Homer Goes Back to College
Rosebud
Homer the Vigilante.

Viva le David Mirkin (although he had nothing to do with HBQ)

Cape Feare, my favorite episode from Season 5, is also a hold over from Season 4. Nevertheless, Season 5 is one of the top seasons. Season 4 is my favorite , but the two Mirkin seasons (5,6) were also spectacular. The Oakley and Weinstein years were also good. In my opinion, the Scully years is when The Simpsons lost its mojo. Seasons Nine and Ten were okay, but I lost interest in season 11. With that being said, it should be apparent that I prefer the old seasons.