By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why wouldn't 2008 be the Year of the PS3 if....

blazinhead89 said:
theRepublic said:
blazinhead89 said:
theRepublic said:

Does this look like console of the year to you?

The holidays are the most important time of the year.  The Wii is up 80% year over year for the holidays.  The 360 is up 47%.  The PS3 is down 15%.

If you want to claim that as some sort of victory, go right ahead.  You would have to be delusional though.

Sigh, Last year PS3 came off the back of a price cut, the Economy was good, This year 360 off the back of price cut and economy gone down the shitter. for a 400$ Console to sell Half a Million in one week is some sort of victory no? I Know this is cliché, but if the PS3 was 299 it would easily have outsold 360 this year (And by a much larger margin than PS3 outsold 360 from Jan-Aug 08)

Hypothetical situations don't mean anything.  What matters is what actually happened.  The PS3 is $400, not $300.

As for the economy, it didn't seem to affect Nintendo's or Microsoft's sales much.  That's Sony's problem.

A console of the year shouldn't have these kinds of problems during the holiday.  It shouldn't be outperformed by both competitors.

It doesn't affect M$ , ninty sales because their consoles are Mass Market Price. Regardless Of what people think, The PS3 has had a great and IMO has has had the best exclusives and also manages to perform reasonably well sales wise for its price. As for being outperformed, in sales yes, but thats about the height of it IMO.

I think the Wii had the best exclusives.  That's subjective.  The Wii has the most exclusives by far though.

Performing "reasonably well", as you put it, does not equal "console of the year".  In fact, I would expect the console of the year to have an amazing year.

Actually, the console of the year did have an amazing year, since the console of the year is the Wii.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

This is Wiiforever and since you apparently know your stuff about IP addresses, you should be able to figure out I am not coming from a proxy and that I am using a Static IP. Also, if you take further note, my static IP is different now. That is because I can change it from my router. So have fun blocking each new IP I get. Just now that there are billions of combinations I can use :))))))))))))))))))

So in other words, PLEASE IP BAN ME NOW. I Gurantee I will be able to private message you again today with my third new IP in the last 2 days. 

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Oo and b4 I forget, happy new year!

theRepublic said:
blazinhead89 said:
theRepublic said:
blazinhead89 said:
theRepublic said:

Does this look like console of the year to you?

The holidays are the most important time of the year.  The Wii is up 80% year over year for the holidays.  The 360 is up 47%.  The PS3 is down 15%.

If you want to claim that as some sort of victory, go right ahead.  You would have to be delusional though.

Sigh, Last year PS3 came off the back of a price cut, the Economy was good, This year 360 off the back of price cut and economy gone down the shitter. for a 400$ Console to sell Half a Million in one week is some sort of victory no? I Know this is cliché, but if the PS3 was 299 it would easily have outsold 360 this year (And by a much larger margin than PS3 outsold 360 from Jan-Aug 08)

Hypothetical situations don't mean anything.  What matters is what actually happened.  The PS3 is $400, not $300.

As for the economy, it didn't seem to affect Nintendo's or Microsoft's sales much.  That's Sony's problem.

A console of the year shouldn't have these kinds of problems during the holiday.  It shouldn't be outperformed by both competitors.

It doesn't affect M$ , ninty sales because their consoles are Mass Market Price. Regardless Of what people think, The PS3 has had a great and IMO has has had the best exclusives and also manages to perform reasonably well sales wise for its price. As for being outperformed, in sales yes, but thats about the height of it IMO.

I think the Wii had the best exclusives.  That's subjective.  The Wii has the most exclusives by far though.

Performing "reasonably well", as you put it, does not equal "console of the year".  In fact, I would expect the console of the year to have an amazing year.

Actually, the console of the year did have an amazing year, since the console of the year is the Wii.

Ok this debate going nowhere , peace

forevercloud3000 said:
Dgc1808 said:
2008 = Year of the DS

lol! THis^ is true as well. I am just trying to prove that the 360 is always getting praise for things they do not deserve or have not earned.

2008=Wii and DS domination

If you don't count handhelds and dont believe the Wii is in the same league as HD consoles...

2008=TIE between PS3 and 360

2008 =/=360

For that bold scenario, I just think that the PS3 had such a disasterous holiday season, that the win defaults to the 360.

The PS3 faded at the most important time, instead of finishing strong.  That's why I can't give the win to PS3

I agree it is very close this year, though.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

blazinhead89 said:
DaveD said:
Probably because most people on a SALES site would say the sales of a system would = if it is the year of it, and this year the sales go Wii > 360 > PS3

In sales Ford >>>> McClaren Mercedes, Does that make Ford Cars better? Hmmmmmmmm

Yes but this thread isn't about the most advanced console. A "year of award" usually has to do with which system got the most accolades, positive press, and sales. Which system do people talk about around the water fountain? That is the question. And the Wii is still the one people talk about. I wouldn't say a smart car is better than a lamborghini, but if it claimed a lot of awards and made a lot of press, then that "year of award" would be fitting for it. But then, it's really a fight for second place isn't it.

Around the Network

@blazinhead89

Debates over subjective opinion don't usually go anywhere. That is actually part of my point.

Now Playing

leo-j said:
@The republic

Selling 2 million+ more consoles than last year and counting since we still have 2 weeks of data to get in, isnt a failure.

Also if your a gamer PS3 is the console of the year, if your a sales analyst then its not.

Thats cute, but it is wrong. There are 3-4 games I would consider buying if I was given one for free. I have already bought more than that in Wii software and have games left over that I still want to buy. Seems like for me, as a gamer, the system of the year would be the Wii.

Of course this might not mean much to you. As I recall you champion Metacritic/Gamerankings as an objective measure yes? By that then we can clearly see the360 is the system of the year. It has the most AAA games to play and thus is the best. Your fanboyism isn't going to get you far in this thread.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

leo-j said:
@The republic

Selling 2 million+ more consoles than last year and counting since we still have 2 weeks of data to get in, isnt a failure.

Also if your a gamer PS3 is the console of the year, if your a sales analyst then its not.

I'm a gamer and I believe the 360 is the console of the year.  I love the Wii too. 

forevercloud3000 said:
@NightSurge

I think it is you who are not willing to see the truth. Which is the correct way of telling which system is SOTY? Is it...
A. By sales
B. By quality/quantity of games, as well as bonuses within the year
C. A mixture of both

If A is true...
-360 did better in sales 07 and 08, by a small margin both times being less then 1mill apart.
-360 would be the correct SOTY then! Yet, everyone says this is not how we decide.

If B is true...
-in 07 PS3 had lackluster game selection. 360 Won hands down.
-in 08 PS3's game selection blew 360's out of the water with such highly rated exclusives and gaining a few of old 360 exclusives(Bioshock and Eternal SOnata). 360 gained FFXIII as a MP title. Both companies went for a price drop at different times of the year.
-PS3 would be the winner with more going for it this year such as Games quality and amount of them, had a price cut, HOME released, and gained two ex 360 exclusives.

IF C is true...
-07 360 won hands down with better sales and games.
-08 PS3 had better games, but slightly lower sales trailing by a mere 600k. 360 didn't have the game selection of PS3, but due to price drop out performed PS3 in sales.
-Conclusion: DRAW both were on par with each other. Where one excelled in sales the other excelled in software.

This is the point I have been trying to make for the last 8 pages that you do not seem to be getting.

@theRepublic

refer to my above statement! I believe you are reasonable in your opinion, that you feel that PS3 should not be SOTY for its failures during the end of the year. Yet I urge you to give my above statement a read.

If PS3 doesn't deserve SOTY, niether does the 360........

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I'm unwilling to call it a tie.

The way I see it:

Games: 360
Sales: slight edge to 360

Winner: 360 (after Wii of course)

Games: PS3 (but Gears 2 is a big boost to the 360)
Sales: slight edge to 360
X-factor: PS3 had a strong first half but very weak second half (see part at bottom). The holidays are very important, and the recession really hurt the PS3 at the worst possible time.

Winner: very close, but 360 (after Wii of course)

Another example of the strong first half but weak second half concept is Nintendo's first party line-up for 2008. People forget about Smash, Kart, and Fit in the first part of the year. Instead they focus on the fact that there was nothing too big for the holidays. So they say that 2008 was very weak and there were no games for the Wii.

People only tend to think about the recent past.  That is why people are generally down on the PS3 right now.

Now Playing