By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Announces Video Streaming for the Wii

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nintendo-Announces-Video-Streaming-for-the-Wii-100846.shtml

Nintendo Announces Video Streaming for the Wii

Coming in Japan

By Andrei Dumitrescu, Games Editor

28th of December 2008, 20:32 GMT

Adjust text size:

Nintendo has just announced an initiative, launched together with Dentsu, which aims to bring streaming video content to the Nintendo Wii. The service is set to arrive in Japan in 2009 and if the initiative proves successful, Western launches will follow shortly.

Nintendo has released an official statement, which has been translated by the AFP, and there are some interesting details. It seems that the majority of the content that will be available via the new service will be free, supported through ads, and some of the videos will need the Wii owner to pay, presumably via Wii Points, so that he can watch them.

The statement regarding the service says “Nintendo and Dentsu shall use the environment surrounding the Wii so that living rooms with Wii-ready TVs would become more of a fun area for communication among families and friends.”

Another attempt for bringing video to the Nintendo home console comes from Fujisoft, which aims to launch Minna-no Theater Wii, which translates as Everyone's Theater for Wii, on January 27, 2009. The service will arrive via Wiiware and will cost between 1 and 4 dollars per video watched. It's not known whether the service will offer short clips or full television shows.

As Microsoft launched the New Xbox Experience earlier in the year, the Netflix integration has been one of the most talked about selling points. With Microsoft trying to reposition the Xbox 360 as a competitor for the Nintendo Wii, it makes sense for Nintendo to try and get a video streaming service working on its device. If the Wii gets enough video content available, then some buyers might think twice about buying the Xbox 360 or the PlayStation 3, which have better video options, like Blu-ray and Netflix.

Around the Network

Well, that will get microsofts attention for sure. :)

@Esa

Why would it? Both sony and microsoft offer that service, and in HD..

mM

@leo-j

Wonder why ms has been concentrating on Sony rather than nintendo.. maybe it is because they want to take over our livingrooms and digital distribution might be even more important in their eyes than just the games. I think the reason ms supported hd-dvd was to stall bluray so it is not on the way of digital distribution. Now nintendo stepped on their toes, it will be interesting to see what happens. :D

Old news.
(>'.')>

Around the Network

I was going to post this but thought people already knew.

Just in case people.

This completly different from the DVD Movie service. This is Nintendo made and will be its own channel.

Hope they bring it to the US. I might not use it but still good to have the option like PS3/360. Seeing as how I dont have an HD tv or actually care about all that SD video is good for me. Hope they bring some anime.

If this service offers exclusive content that catches on... it could be enormous.

If this comes to US and offer Anime Im in ^_^

Former something....

This is the first one i've read that specified that this service is different from Minna no Theatre Wii

Now i am more interested...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

This is completely different from Netflix--it's Nintendo's own original content. Although, I wouldn't be averse to seeing the odd episode of Captain N on there

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."