By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "The PS3 can't sell software" WKC

@Evestar out of interest could we have Those numbers but the Japan and Others version ?

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:
My point to the thread is not to gloat about WKC sales. Im mot calling it a success or a failure just ok sales. My point is that the argument that has been used against the WKC sales about Userbase is that it should be taken into account when people talk about America sales aswell.

Yes, American sales have to be taken into account. For these big budget games, alot of copies have to be sold. For a game like Lost Planet, over 700k copies had to be sold to make a profit. What about our big budget RPGs? They are gonna need as many or more copies to turn a profit, and companies are not gonna want a small profit for these long projects. This is where the problem is. So, 250k in japan + 500k in America + Others is needed at minimum for HD RPGs.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Aiemond said:
frictionini said:

then let's just say JRPG selling on the 360 sucks in both in Japan and America.

we all agree?

because SO4 might truly be the last hope for jrpg on the 360... in terms of SE games and other companies that want to go SE-ish

The problem is that production values are too high for the sales most JRPGs will have. Thats why they are going multiplatform, and prolly later they will go wii.

that's also my point. why made them 360 exclusives/timed exclusives with TLR and SO4. They could have earned more w/ multiplat release all at the same time even if the PS3 version can get more faulty version, it can sell more, in Japan that is or maybe even outside Japan.

frictionini said:
Aiemond said:
frictionini said:

we all agree?

because SO4 might truly be the last hope for jrpg on the 360... in terms of SE games and other companies that want to go SE-ish

The problem is that production values are too high for the sales most JRPGs will have. Thats why they are going multiplatform, and prolly later they will go wii.

that's also my point. why made them 360 exclusives/timed exclusives with TLR and SO4. They could have earned more w/ multiplat release all at the same time even if the PS3 version can get more faulty version, it can sell more, in Japan that is or maybe even outside Japan.

Microsoft likely pays enough for exclusivity that it doesn't really matter to Square-Enix how much more the game could sell with a day-and-date multiplatform release.

frictionini said:
Aiemond said:
frictionini said:

we all agree?

#1) Developer gets guaranteed money, which makes them happy

#2) MicroSoft, though they will lose money, will incorporate more people into their fanbase, who wouldn't have thought about buying their console before, and their brand gets expanded (eg- 360 and it's increase in Japan compared to the original Xbox)

It's win-win.

Around the Network
frictionini said:
Aiemond said:
frictionini said:

we all agree?

MS is moneyhatting. The amount of money MS is paying is most likely enough to cover the difference (if not more since PS3 still has a significantly smaller userbase overall). Now, MS is prolly loosing some money on this, but they don't give a crap, all they care about is defeating the PS3, otherwise they would not have as many pricecuts and moneyhats. Defeating playstation is prolly the only reason they entered into the console market. But, that is another thread for another time.

As long as there are MS money hats, then the developers have a reason to put it on the 360. IMO when (and if) this stops, alot of the rpgs will move to the wii, where the risk/reward ratio is significantly better. With DQ X going to the wii, many of the smaller developers (who would not get a moneyhat anyways) are already preparing to move there.

well it's just too bad that those games could have sold even better than WKC if they were on the PS3

Not that this is a big deal since IU and TLR were so-so games for me esp. TLR for the faulty technicalities

If I were MS, I'll just stick to Mistwalker as they make more quality games

hmmm,sony fanboys and this does not mean all who own a ps3,the ones that this identifies knows who i mean in this thread,for real just like drowning men clutching at straws to try to save thier lives hahahaahahahaa,an rpg selling 200 units on a greater amount of hardware for a company that once ruled japan,and you all have the nerve to come in here with this crap against the 360?well i guess you need something to boost ur confidence,here let me help.... ALL TOGETHER NOW 2009 WILL BE THE YEAR OF THE PS3.imagine if the 360 had half the hardware of ps3 in japan hmmmmmmm just study that peace.

frictionini said:
well it's just too bad that those games could have sold even better than WKC if they were on the PS3

Not that this is a big deal since IU and TLR were so-so games for me esp. TLR for the faulty technicalities

If I were MS, I'll just stick to Mistwalker as they make more quality games

Ya, IU and TLR are meh, LO is made of win though. I like it alot. SO4 looks like it will be really good too.

Dejanne said:
hmmm,sony fanboys and this does not mean all who own a ps3,the ones that this identifies knows who i mean in this thread,for real just like drowning men clutching at straws to try to save thier lives hahahaahahahaa,an rpg selling 200 units on a greater amount of hardware for a company that once ruled japan,and you all have the nerve to come in here with this crap against the 360?well i guess you need something to boost ur confidence,here let me help.... ALL TOGETHER NOW 2009 WILL BE THE YEAR OF THE PS3.imagine if the 360 had half the hardware of ps3 in japan hmmmmmmm just study that peace.

you novelist?