By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2007 vs 2008 holiday software sales (per console and per company)

TWRoO said:
So presumably the equivalent weeks you used for 2007 are skewed 2 days forward, which means they are comparitively closer to Christmas and would (even if the market stayed the same size) have been slightly larger than this year.

Yes, but I don't think 2 days out of 7 weeks would make a big difference.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

So Wii + DS have a 40% 1st party 60% 3rd party split this holiday. (41.33M Nintendo published sold last 7 weeks).

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

@NJ5: I was really surprised by the 360 high number too, but how much 360 hardware was sold in the period? Since you used VGC data, it counts in bundled software (bundles don't count in software revenue) and 360 is sold bundled with two games, which i believe is the same thing everywhere, while PS3 and Wii comes with one game.

PSP and DS both has bundles, if i recall, but no forced ones.

PS2 is available only in one game bundles, i believe.

So, 360 may be up by one game per units of hardware sold in relation to Sony and Nintendo?

PSP software sales is a surprise, but PSP haven't had much game releases which would have ended to peoples homes. Still, surprising.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

NJ5 said:
TWRoO said:
So presumably the equivalent weeks you used for 2007 are skewed 2 days forward, which means they are comparitively closer to Christmas and would (even if the market stayed the same size) have been slightly larger than this year.

Yes, but I don't think 2 days out of 7 weeks would make a big difference.

Well it is basically taking out the 2 smallest shopping days from 2007 and replacing them with the 2 of the biggest ones... but yes, I was only thinking 1-2% if that.

Wow, both the Wii and the DS have sold more software than all Sony systems combined.

Poor Sony...

Around the Network

@Chrizum: Add 360 to your list (although, if others numbers would be more accurate, it may not be the case anymore, but with the data we currently have 360 did better too).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

By my guesses (well reasoned, but still guesses) The TOTAL software figures for Others should be like this:

Wii and PS3 = VGC*1.5

360 and DS = VGC*2.1

PSP = VGC*6

-----

However that obviously doesn't translate over into weekly sales because it's older games that are missing.

So really the multipliers for the last 7 weeks are probably something like this (applying to "Others" only though):

Wii, 360, PS3 and DS add only a few percent, say 5% max (VGC*1.05)

PSP could be ~40% low (VGC*1.4)

PS2 I have no idea, but could arguably be 100% low considering all those hundreds of different games that might have sold a few dozen copies.

Sorry for the off-topic, but was this years biggest sellers MKWii, Wii Fit and GTA4 if both versions sales were count as one, in that particular order? And those were the only 10M+ sellers this year? Of course, the data isn't final yet, but i doubt the order will change anymore.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Expected decline for PS2, ouch for PSP, good results for every other console, but there is another thing:
aren't those huge Wii sales almost all first party? Nintendo is doing incredibly well either with HW and SW.
Hey, with all that cash, why don't they buy Yahoo?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

bdbdbd said:
Sorry for the off-topic, but was this years biggest sellers MKWii, Wii Fit and GTA4 if both versions sales were count as one, in that particular order? And those were the only 10M+ sellers this year? Of course, the data isn't final yet, but i doubt the order will change anymore.

Well I guess you are not counting Wii Sports..... but Wii Play has also crossed 10 million, the jusr is out on whether it can pass GTAIV.

Actually I just checked, it won't pass GTAIV combined.... it is 1.45 million behind, a figure it is unlikely to sell itself in the remaining 2 weeks, so certainly not enough to pass GTAIV which is still selling.