By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So, what PC gamer "killer apps" exist that call for the purchase of a PC?

WiiStation360 said:
Besides RTS, FPS, western RPGs, MMORPGS, adventure games, simulation games, Steam distribution, cheaper game prices, improved controls, free online, and better-than-console graphics, I see absolutely no reason to ever own a gaming PC.

All the reason why I own a PC right there.

I TAKE NO SIDES

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
Besides RTS, FPS, western RPGs, MMORPGS, adventure games, simulation games, Steam distribution, cheaper game prices, improved controls, free online, and better-than-console graphics, I see absolutely no reason to ever own a gaming PC.

+So many mod communities. Getting so much more from your games.

Valve games (half life- Team Fortress 2, episodes, Left4dead, Portal, counter-strike)
Farcry games
F.E.A.R.
Crysis
Doom
Starcraft
Warcraft
Loads of other strategy games
PS3/Xbox games

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Diablo III, Starcraft, World of Warcraft.

Basically, the only new "killer apps" that are PC exclusive, are by Blizzard.

Blizzard might as well be the PC's "first party" company.

That said, the PC has many old games that are great. That's actually why I think PC gaming can stand up to console gaming, because of the old classics and emulators.

Yep, and M$ knows this.  Which is why this went down:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/dec08/12-03MassiveBlizzardPR.mspx

Massive Inc. and Blizzard Entertainment Form Multi-Year Advertising Relationship

Massive teams with Blizzard Entertainment for ads on its Web sites and Battle.net online game service.

NEW YORK — Dec. 3, 2008 — Massive Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corp. and a leading network for video game advertising, and Blizzard Entertainment Inc., a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software, announced today a multi-year deal that names Massive as the exclusive advertising service provider for Blizzard Entertainment®’s Web sites and Battle.net® online game service in the U.S., Canada, Europe, South Korea and Australia.

In addition, Massive has teamed with Intergi Inc., the world’s largest Web-based video game and interactive entertainment network and advertising representation company, to manage Web-based advertising to reach Blizzard’s audience of core gamers and gaming enthusiasts. Intergi is powered by the Microsoft Atlas AdManager platform to deliver client advertising across its network of more than 700 sites.

Through this relationship, Massive will serve advertising to a highly engaged audience that visits Blizzard Entertainment’s collection of heavily trafficked Web sites and plays using Battle.net, the company’s online game service with millions of active users. On Battle.net, players can meet online to play with one another in Blizzard Entertainment’s “StarCraft®,” “Warcraft®” and “Diablo®” series of games, including the upcoming “StarCraft II” and “Diablo III.” Blizzard Entertainment’s Web sites include the home page for the enormously popular “World of Warcraft®,” a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) with over 11 million subscribers throughout the world.

“Our partnership with Blizzard Entertainment aligns Massive with the creative powerhouse behind some of the most renowned real-time strategy games of all time, as well as the world’s most popular MMORPG,” said JJ Richards, general manager of platform services for the Advertiser and Publisher Solutions Group at Microsoft. “This deal builds on Massive’s top-tier network of console games by giving us immediate credibility on the PC. And with Intergi, we are working with a highly targeted partner that knows the gaming audience to take a brand’s campaign from the Web site into the Battle.net game network.”

“Our decision to partner with Massive was based on several important factors, including their technical expertise, global sales presence, and willingness to work with us to ensure advertisements appear only in contexts and environments that make sense,” said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. “This partnership does not include in-game advertising, as Massive understands and respects our stance against advertising that might detract from gameplay or offend our players.”

“We are thrilled to work with two industry pioneers; both Massive and Blizzard are two of today’s leading names in the world of gaming, and their confidence in our network and advertising representation services is a true testament to what Intergi offers when it comes to reaching today’s gaming enthusiast,” said Jayson Dubin, CEO of Intergi.

Diablo 3 is going to rock my world.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Diablo III, Starcraft, World of Warcraft.

Basically, the only new "killer apps" that are PC exclusive, are by Blizzard.

Blizzard might as well be the PC's "first party" company.

That said, the PC has many old games that are great. That's actually why I think PC gaming can stand up to console gaming, because of the old classics and emulators.

Yep, and M$ knows this.  Which is why this went down:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/dec08/12-03MassiveBlizzardPR.mspx

Massive Inc. and Blizzard Entertainment Form Multi-Year Advertising Relationship

Massive teams with Blizzard Entertainment for ads on its Web sites and Battle.net online game service.

NEW YORK — Dec. 3, 2008 — Massive Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corp. and a leading network for video game advertising, and Blizzard Entertainment Inc., a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software, announced today a multi-year deal that names Massive as the exclusive advertising service provider for Blizzard Entertainment®’s Web sites and Battle.net® online game service in the U.S., Canada, Europe, South Korea and Australia.

In addition, Massive has teamed with Intergi Inc., the world’s largest Web-based video game and interactive entertainment network and advertising representation company, to manage Web-based advertising to reach Blizzard’s audience of core gamers and gaming enthusiasts. Intergi is powered by the Microsoft Atlas AdManager platform to deliver client advertising across its network of more than 700 sites.

Through this relationship, Massive will serve advertising to a highly engaged audience that visits Blizzard Entertainment’s collection of heavily trafficked Web sites and plays using Battle.net, the company’s online game service with millions of active users. On Battle.net, players can meet online to play with one another in Blizzard Entertainment’s “StarCraft®,” “Warcraft®” and “Diablo®” series of games, including the upcoming “StarCraft II” and “Diablo III.” Blizzard Entertainment’s Web sites include the home page for the enormously popular “World of Warcraft®,” a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) with over 11 million subscribers throughout the world.

“Our partnership with Blizzard Entertainment aligns Massive with the creative powerhouse behind some of the most renowned real-time strategy games of all time, as well as the world’s most popular MMORPG,” said JJ Richards, general manager of platform services for the Advertiser and Publisher Solutions Group at Microsoft. “This deal builds on Massive’s top-tier network of console games by giving us immediate credibility on the PC. And with Intergi, we are working with a highly targeted partner that knows the gaming audience to take a brand’s campaign from the Web site into the Battle.net game network.”

“Our decision to partner with Massive was based on several important factors, including their technical expertise, global sales presence, and willingness to work with us to ensure advertisements appear only in contexts and environments that make sense,” said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. “This partnership does not include in-game advertising, as Massive understands and respects our stance against advertising that might detract from gameplay or offend our players.”

“We are thrilled to work with two industry pioneers; both Massive and Blizzard are two of today’s leading names in the world of gaming, and their confidence in our network and advertising representation services is a true testament to what Intergi offers when it comes to reaching today’s gaming enthusiast,” said Jayson Dubin, CEO of Intergi.

your article means nothing but the fact that Battle.net will be free forever.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

LOL. I was merely stating that M$ wanted to get in on the money making bandwagon that is Blizzard. Winning situation for all parties.

guigr said:

This blog sums it up; there are a lot of exclusives (the number of adventure games amaze me) but you've got most multiplatform games too.

PC is a must if you want to play strategy, adventure game, FPS and simulations. Just play Civ4 instead of this CivRev joke.

CivRev is on my DC.  If I want to play a lite Civ game that can be finished in less than 3 hours, CivRev fits this.  It isn't a joke in this regard.  It actually does some things better than the regular Civ series.

richardhutnik said:
guigr said:

This blog sums it up; there are a lot of exclusives (the number of adventure games amaze me) but you've got most multiplatform games too.

PC is a must if you want to play strategy, adventure game, FPS and simulations. Just play Civ4 instead of this CivRev joke.

CivRev is on my DC.  If I want to play a lite Civ game that can be finished in less than 3 hours, CivRev fits this.  It isn't a joke in this regard.  It actually does some things better than the regular Civ series.

You can speed up Civ IV to take only about an hour as well.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

hmmmm. sins of a solar empire. counterstrike:source. WoW if your into bad games. Civ 4 is better than Civ Rev on the consoles.