By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So, what PC gamer "killer apps" exist that call for the purchase of a PC?

Let's say someone has a low end PC or laptop to do work on, and access the Internet, but the have a next gen console and can play the usual mix of games.  However, what I hear PC gaming fanatics is that the PC gaming is supposed to be that much superior to consoles for gaming.  So, on this note, I have a question:

Exactly what software out now is a "killer app" that would be a reason to buy a PC as a gaming rig?  I see Crysis discussed, but anything else?  World of Warcraft?

And for 2009, what is coming out that would be considered "killer apps"?  Are we looking at just Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2?

Can someone answer this?  Why should someone spend extra to get a gaming PC?   I am years removed from this phase, so curious out there now.

Around the Network

Try Good old Games.

The first two Fallout games alone, man!

Edit: Oh wait that's not what you meant at all.

richardhutnik said:

Let's say someone has a low end PC or laptop to do work on, and access the Internet, but the have a next gen console and can play the usual mix of games.  However, what I hear PC gaming fanatics is that the PC gaming is supposed to be that much superior to consoles for gaming.  So, on this note, I have a question:

Exactly what software out now is a "killer app" that would be a reason to buy a PC as a gaming rig?  I see Crysis discussed, but anything else?  World of Warcraft?

And for 2009, what is coming out that would be considered "killer apps"?  Are we looking at just Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2?

Can someone answer this?  Why should someone spend extra to get a gaming PC?   I am years removed from this phase, so curious out there now.

Yes and yes, lol.

It's just those 4 titles.

EDIT: And Empire: Total War !

Uhm... I usually buy old games. They are cheaper and run better. So I guess I'm not the person to ask.

Wait? Why am I responding to this?

PS. I just bought Doom and Doom II :) DS.

This is invisible text!

Khuutra said:

Try Good old Games.

Ahh, memories.  You mean stuff I should be able to run, without a problem.  Ok, how about NEW stuff?

Today, can't even be sure anything will work.  Is there any way to confirm if Sins of a Solar Empire can work on my laptop, for example?  No demo that I know of, and also no way to rent.

And yes, this is important to know.  EVERY expansion for Civ 4, and Civ 4 itself works on my laptop, EXCEPT Beyond the Sword, because of the disk protection scheme.  I am told, "Update your BIOS".  Well, BLECK!

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Khuutra said:

Try Good old Games.

Ahh, memories.  You mean stuff I should be able to run, without a problem.  Ok, how about NEW stuff?

Today, can't even be sure anything will work.  Is there any way to confirm if Sins of a Solar Empire can work on my laptop, for example?  No demo that I know of, and also no way to rent.

And yes, this is important to know.  EVERY expansion for Civ 4, and Civ 4 itself works on my laptop, EXCEPT Beyond the Sword, because of the disk protection scheme.  I am told, "Update your BIOS".  Well, BLECK!

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

This site is pretty neat. Gives you an idea of how well you can run different games.

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2009/

Please read this. if you can't find any reasons to have gaming pc among those then you should probably look for Wii :)

Oh right and when people debate if x360 runs TRU at native 720p AAx2 or not compared to ps3 version i play this game 1920x1200 with AAx8 :D

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

This blog sums it up; there are a lot of exclusives (the number of adventure games amaze me) but you've got most multiplatform games too.

PC is a must if you want to play strategy, adventure game, FPS and simulations. Just play Civ4 instead of this CivRev joke.

Killer apps for PC are strategy (especially real-time) titles and multiplayer/community games (e.g. DotA, TeeWorlds, Trackmania)

Wow, I didn't knew about this "Fuel" game. Open world racing game from Codemasters... can it get more win than that?