By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PSP dying?

almost every game you guys mention are firstly made for the japanese market...

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Software sales are down. HW is always moving at a constant decent pace.

4 ≈ One

FrostyTop said:
dougsdad0629 said:
leo-j said:
Because nearly everyone even little 14 year olds love to hack it, why make games for it, if you know people will just get it for free of the internet..

Is the hacking really THAT easy to do?  Please don't respond if it somehow violates the rules of this forum to talk about such things.

Its exceedingly easy to hack it, its easy to hack anything if you have the correct sized screw drivers, a steady hand and any gubbins that is given to you in a step by step guide you might need.

In the case of the PSP its on the easy end of the scale.

You need....

1. Pandora Battery (an offical Sony battery that has been software modded to think its a "service battery") OR a pre-made jobby like the Datel "TOOL" battery.

2. 512mb Pro Duo card.

3. About an hour to have a look on google how it works.

If you have a friend who has a hacked PSP already they can help you make the "pandora battery" with the hacked PSP (an unhacked one can't make it).

Once hacked you can rip your UMDs to a memory stick and then compress the the ISO images even smaller -> then load them from the "game" menu on the PSP as if they were normal UMDs etc.

Anyway's I don't think me posting this is against the rules, hacking your PSP isn't illegal.

Just so you're aware the latest PSP3000 and the PSPs with mobo revision TA88v3 haven't been hacked yet so don't get a "new" PSP.

If I were you I'd just get one on ebay, much easier!

It's funny, people often blame ease of piracy on the PSP as the reason for its poor software sales without mentioning how easy it is to pirate on the DS.

All one needs to do is purchase a flashcart and you're away laughing. It's just as easy if not easier than the PSP.

We can't say how much piracy affects DS software sales, but I suspect it's more significant than many think.

Xponent said:
FrostyTop said:
dougsdad0629 said:
leo-j said:
Because nearly everyone even little 14 year olds love to hack it, why make games for it, if you know people will just get it for free of the internet..

Is the hacking really THAT easy to do?  Please don't respond if it somehow violates the rules of this forum to talk about such things.

Its exceedingly easy to hack it, its easy to hack anything if you have the correct sized screw drivers, a steady hand and any gubbins that is given to you in a step by step guide you might need.

In the case of the PSP its on the easy end of the scale.

You need....

1. Pandora Battery (an offical Sony battery that has been software modded to think its a "service battery") OR a pre-made jobby like the Datel "TOOL" battery.

2. 512mb Pro Duo card.

3. About an hour to have a look on google how it works.

If you have a friend who has a hacked PSP already they can help you make the "pandora battery" with the hacked PSP (an unhacked one can't make it).

Once hacked you can rip your UMDs to a memory stick and then compress the the ISO images even smaller -> then load them from the "game" menu on the PSP as if they were normal UMDs etc.

Anyway's I don't think me posting this is against the rules, hacking your PSP isn't illegal.

Just so you're aware the latest PSP3000 and the PSPs with mobo revision TA88v3 haven't been hacked yet so don't get a "new" PSP.

If I were you I'd just get one on ebay, much easier!

It's funny, people often blame ease of piracy on the PSP as the reason for its poor software sales without mentioning how easy it is to pirate on the DS.

All one needs to do is purchase a flashcart and you're away laughing. It's just as easy if not easier than the PSP.

We can't say how much piracy affects DS software sales, but I suspect it's more significant than many think.

i don't think people who will buy brain training know how to pirate games

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The R4 carts and similar clones used for playing backups on the DS....

True its piss easy to do, but getting the cart isn't *that* easy. They are all made in china so have to be imported and generally aren't on sale that prominently on US\EU sites. Although easy enough to get if you want one.

The thing with the PSP is that you don't actually need anything at all to keep it hacked once done.

Much like the Xbox 360, no modchip or anything. If you've got the bits you can do it yourself.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

i don't think people who will buy brain training know how to pirate games

Sure, I understand your point - the DS is without a doubt, the casual gamers choice for this generation (alongside the Wii of couse), but you and me both know that the DS also boasts a fairly significant hardcore userbase, savvy enough to know how to pirate games if they really wanted to.

I would go for another ds, but the psp is not a bad choice either.

Thats what I hated about the PSP: waiting for games/game drought. 2008 was a terrible year for the PSP. Only like 4 good games came out and 2009 looks even worse. There are some games I'm interested in, but they won't come out in like 2-3 years. Get a DS; it has a better library, and this is coming from a former PSP owner.

FrostyTop said:
The R4 carts and similar clones used for playing backups on the DS....

True its piss easy to do, but getting the cart isn't *that* easy. They are all made in china so have to be imported and generally aren't on sale that prominently on USEU sites. Although easy enough to get if you want one.

The thing with the PSP is that you don't actually need anything at all to keep it hacked once done.

Much like the Xbox 360, no modchip or anything. If you've got the bits you can do it yourself.

Well that point is debatable. It's not hard to get your hands on one in my region of the globe anyway.

As for the PSP, the step involving the 'pandora's battery' sounds complicated, and difficult if you don't know someone with a hacked PSP. Furthermore, brand new PSP's can't be hacked I gather. (Much like the DSi apparently).

But I wouldn't know which is easier really, because I've never hacked a PSP. And I don't pirate DS games either. I like having physical copies, and instruction manuals. A friend of mine does own a flashcart however, and through him I can try games out first before I purchase them. Does that mean I support piracy, in an indirect way? I don't think so. At least I buy my games. My friend on the other hand, has never bought a DS game in his life.

The SNES emulator alone should be enough incentive to get this game, how can a system ever die when it has a gaming liberary the size of the SNES? Even if no game come out for the PSP ever from this point onward, the PSP is still very viable.