By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Nintendo (Wii) wins this gen...

wii can win ....i just don't want to do the next valkyrie pofile ,parasite eve,star ocean,kindom heart or tri-ace and level 5 rpg,yakuza,gta,... with only wiimote (exclusive wii)

Around the Network

As much as we like to think generations are won by established franchises each gen has it's new ones that define the winner.

SNES had Mario early on but it was the Super FX and Rare games that closed the deal at the end. (DKC, isn't really donkey kong, it his image on a sidescroller)

PSOne had Ridge Racer, GT, Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken

PS2 had Devil May Cry, GTA3 (which was not really anything like GTA 1 and 2), Jak and Dexter, etc. GoW at the end.

I know some people are disappointed but it looks like WiiSports and WiiPlay are the first mega hits of the generation. To give you an idea of how popular this game is, in Japan it's not a pack in and has sold 2 million copies to just over 3 million Japanese Wii owners. Xbox 360's #1 game has sold about 4.5 million copies WW to 10 million owners, and the #2 360 game has sold about 2 Million WW (CoD2). Wii #3 game (Zelda) is at 3.61, and Mario Party 8 is selling so fast it should join Zelda up there soon, and Super Paper Mario still hasn't been released in Europe yet and is running pretty close.

What do I think of this? Well, where's prime 3 already? :P

For real? I think we will see a continuation by Nintendo of graphics lower than the competitors. And mainstream consumers will be hesistant to buy HDTV's as long as they are over impulse price. You can get a really nice 27" SD-Digital TV for $220-250, HDTVs are still way too much more per inch for most people to actually buy (not afford, actually want to buy). I really am starting to think HD is going to go the way of surround sound (analog and digital combined). In other words, it will have a strong portion of the market, but not quite mainstream (for many years still to come). Video games aren't all played on the living room television either, they often get relegated to a secondary TV.

We as hardcore gamers tend to surround ourselves with other entertainment minded people, who adopt to new technologies and such. But very few true core gamers, casual gamers, and non-niche consumers are going to have multiple HDTV's in their house, and only a moderate portion will have HDTV at all.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

omgwtfbbq said:
finalsquall said:
The Wii won't win... It doesn't appeal to everyone. The PS does... It always has. At the end of the day the ps3 will have casuals (downloadable Mini games, singstar, buzz etc), kids (new mmo, eye toy, singstar, kiddy games etc) medium players (platformers, racing cars games everyday games, sports) and Harcore - ff13,mgs, HS, Drakes,kz2,lair) etc etc etc

The wii appeals to casuals, hardcore and kiddies - no middle man.

xbox 360 - hardcore fps teens :(

This is only my opinion... not that it counts. I can't see Nintendo winning long term. maybe but numbers, but not by sheer desire to have one. Everyone know most ppl will have a Wii as a second console. I know I might for my daughter.

Sorry, you say the PS3 appeals to everyone and not the Wii?

You're saying the Wii lacks the "middle gamers" which you define as people who like "platformers, racing car games everyday games sports". Aside from the ridiculous assertion that Nintendo doesn't appeal to platformer fans, you then have racing games, where Wii has the second largest racing franchise in the world (Mario Kart) and sports games where the Wii has the best selling sports game ever (Wii Sports) as well as the potential for some fantastic sports games (Golf, Tennis, etc). I have no idea what "everyday games" are.

Sorry, but the reason why the Wii is selling so well is that it appeals to everyone. And the PS3 is doing poorly because it doesn't appeal to everyone. It's as simple as that.

Show me where nintendo appeals to all. I couldn't give a rats ass about any nintendo games.... Only ppl I know who buy Nintendo are kids. Now maybe because I'm not in that circle, But I dont know any hardcore teen/adult players that play it sorry.

The PS wins because it does cater to all. Prove me wrong and tell me Sony does not cater to most players. I'm not talking just the ps3 (games aren't here to base that yet) but look at ps1 and ps2 (soon ps3) and tell me it doesn't cater.

Wii caters to kids, soccer mum and grannies- that is the buzz on the net. Wii hardcore games look like a kids game. seriously.

Also how is mario cart the 2nd largest franchise? I mean come on you saying it beats GT and Forza? You gotta be kidding right? The Wii is a joke. Anyways, that how I see it as imo.

Well to mii the wii is a second console choice. It's a fad that will slow down soon. Wii is going to be oversaturated with wii's and crap games.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

finalsquall said:
The Wii won't win... It doesn't appeal to everyone. The PS does... It always has. At the end of the day the ps3 will have casuals (downloadable Mini games, singstar, buzz etc), kids (new mmo, eye toy, singstar, kiddy games etc) medium players (platformers, racing cars games everyday games, sports) and Harcore - ff13,mgs, HS, Drakes,kz2,lair) etc etc etc

This is only my opinion... not that it counts. I can't see Nintendo winning long term. maybe but numbers, but not by sheer desire to have one. Everyone know most ppl will have a Wii as a second console. I know I might for my daughter.

how do you think PS3 will win the casuals when the ratio of casual games released on the Wii is higher then PS3 and the price difference is huge?

medium player...

plattformers hmm no plattformers? The best 3D sonic for ages,  Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Dewys.

racing, here I actualy agreed those racing games that exsist is very much asrcade, excite truck and nitrobike and that is more or less everything.

hardcore: Metroid, Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem. Not as much as the others but the games exsist.

A question how can you NOT win by numbers? Isn't that the whole idea about sales numbers. Sheer desire something that is depending on the person buying the product is it not? Well let us just say that I rather go with the numbers when I decide who won this gen.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

finalsquall said:
omgwtfbbq said:
finalsquall said:

Sorry, you say the PS3 appeals to everyone and not the Wii?

You're saying the Wii lacks the "middle gamers" which you define as people who like "platformers, racing car games everyday games sports". Aside from the ridiculous assertion that Nintendo doesn't appeal to platformer fans, you then have racing games, where Wii has the second largest racing franchise in the world (Mario Kart) and sports games where the Wii has the best selling sports game ever (Wii Sports) as well as the potential for some fantastic sports games (Golf, Tennis, etc). I have no idea what "everyday games" are.

Sorry, but the reason why the Wii is selling so well is that it appeals to everyone. And the PS3 is doing poorly because it doesn't appeal to everyone. It's as simple as that.

Show me where nintendo appeals to all. I couldn't give a rats ass about any nintendo games.... Only ppl I know who buy Nintendo are kids. Now maybe because I'm not in that circle, But I dont know any hardcore teen/adult players that play it sorry.

The PS wins because it does cater to all. Prove me wrong and tell me Sony does not cater to most players. I'm not talking just the ps3 (games aren't here to base that yet) but look at ps1 and ps2 (soon ps3) and tell me it doesn't cater.

Wii caters to kids, soccer mum and grannies- that is the buzz on the net. Wii hardcore games look like a kids game. seriously.

Also how is mario cart the 2nd largest franchise? I mean come on you saying it beats GT and Forza? You gotta be kidding right? The Wii is a joke. Anyways, that how I see it as imo.

Well to mii the wii is a second console choice. It's a fad that will slow down soon. Wii is going to be oversaturated with wii's and crap games.

Well let us start from the top as you should do when you are argumenting:

Only people I know that playes Nintendo games are above 24, are we kids? Last weekend I was at a party were I meet three guys discussing Zelda TP for Wii. I know about 6 persons that own a Wii for the moment non as I said is a kid.

The PS3 is not the PS1 or the PS2. I am not saying that it wont become as the PS1/2 but for the moment it is a pure Hardcore machine becuase of price alone.

That was the second time you called Wii games "kiddy" I think we have had that discussion before. You are looking at your gaming needs and think that every hardcore gamer wants the same. I like the graphical design on Mario, I did like Battalion Wars last gen and is going to buy BW2 when that arrives.

Mario Kart is the second largest racing franchise becuase sales number is saying just that.

And Wii might be a joke according to YOU, that doesn't mean that other gamers doesn't think it is a joke.

Then he ends the whole argument that Wii is a fad and will slow down soon. You do know that PS-fans has said that since januari right? It was also the same thing people said about the DS vs PSP.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

Denial is a fad that never goes out of style.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

robjoh said:
finalsquall said:

how do you think PS3 will win the casuals when the ratio of casual games released on the Wii is higher then PS3 and the price difference is huge?

medium player...

plattformers hmm no plattformers? The best 3D sonic for ages, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Dewys.

racing, here I actualy agreed those racing games that exsist is very much asrcade, excite truck and nitrobike and that is more or less everything.

hardcore: Metroid, Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem. Not as much as the others but the games exsist.

A question how can you NOT win by numbers? Isn't that the whole idea about sales numbers. Sheer desire something that is depending on the person buying the product is it not? Well let us just say that I rather go with the numbers when I decide who won this gen.

Casual players = short term/every now and then.  Casuals play games as a fad. Come on ppl you know what a casual gamer is. Tell me honestly! How many of these "Casual Players" will become core players?  Not many! Casuals do not make up the bulk of the market for sales in consoles.  If a casual buys a console. It will prolly be used for a few months then left there neglected.  If that is the image the Wii wants then so be it.

A console needs to be versatile: It needs to first cater to the hardcore players as they are the foundation.  Then core player who plays alot of the time, then the kids, and lastly the casuals.  Casuals at the bottom... Why would you want the main audience to be casuals. Wow we can sell alot of consoles to ppl who only want to play our crap games for a few months. *Think Mcfly Think*

Over the past 10 yrs, Sony has proven they know the market.  They made all types of games: eye toy, sing star, buzz,GH, jak and dexter, crash, ratchet and clank, GT, mgs, ff  and more. It's variety.  Also, how many ppl have a ps2. How many casuals play the ps2? How many casuals are still buying the ps2?  More than the gc and n64 put together. Ppl stay with who they know and Trust (waits for snickers).

another thing I have realized. Selling the ps3 at a high price is brilliant.  Ppl love to put down the price, but when the price comes down ppl are like wow I'm getting one... it's cheaper now!  Why?  because everyone wants the unaffordable.  Ppl focus on the price, but once they can attain it they seems to want it (human nature to want the biggest and best :P).  

So in essence ppl like the Wii because it is attainable,cheap and gimickly. Once ps3 comes down in price, then the wii will look more like a fad. BR will win HD wars and ppl will want a ps3 to watch BR. If you think BR is shit, then you have watched one on a hd tv.  I hate dvd's now. I can't watch them.  So therefore in my view ps3 will win and then the 360 and lastly the wii :(

Sorry for the verbal diarrhea.

Unleash The Beast!  

steven787 said:

PSOne had Ridge Racer, GT, Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken

PS2 had Devil May Cry, GTA3 (which was not really anything like GTA 1 and 2), Jak and Dexter, etc. GoW at the end.

Ahem . . . you forgot Poland Final Fantasy.  Getting Square away from Nintendo was a huge coup for Sony that is hard to overestimate.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

finalsquall, I disagree with you completely, and I say it as a supporter of Sony's last two home consoles (20+ PS1, 40+ PS2 games).  The PS3 is a completely different creation compared to it's predecessors, and while some find it more appealing, I and many others are on the opposite end stuck with a complete lack of interest.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said:
finalsquall, I disagree with you completely, and I say it as a supporter of Sony's last two home consoles (20+ PS1, 40+ PS2 games). The PS3 is a completely different creation compared to it's predecessors, and while some find it more appealing, I and many others are on the opposite end stuck with a complete lack of interest.

Fair enuf, we will really have to wait and see. it's only my opinion so nothing that I have said means anything. I go on what I feel and read.  I also think that Sony have very good at marketing and appealing to more ppl.  I don't hate the Wii - it's a great idea, but to me it's a fad and I can't see the long term gain for the Wii.  I feel it's too fast  and ppl will tend to be over it soon.it's kinda like when your really hungry and you can eat anything.. then when your full, someone talks about food.  You just can't stomach it. 

I will prolly buy a wii but for my daughter. My GC is sitting there wasting. I went to sell it the other day and they offered me $10au for teh console. - what a joke.  Anyway Wii fan boys I know your not all kids, but most ppl I know who do have a wii (which isn't many) are for the kids. 

Unleash The Beast!