By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

Are people really happy about this?? Was it that good of a game for you where you feel like it deserves #1? Really? Personally i use the game as a drink coaster.

Around the Network
chaospluto said:
izaaz101 said:
chaospluto said:
I still agree with those who say Wii Sports is more of a Demo than a game.

1. No Score.
2. No Rewards.
3. No real competition.
4. No story line.

I could probably keep going, but you get my point.

A game has substance: scoring, records, rewards, etc.

Demos = The Games of the Future. /sarcasm

Funny, I coulda sworn I got a score awarded for beating opponents, got medals for clearing certain events, and competed both against the CPU and local multiplayer...........guess I must have imagined all that........silly me.

The thing is, the rewards and score means essentially nothing in WiiSports.

At least, I never noticed anything new when I got a certain score other than a "Title".  No new levels, no new anything really.

To me, it's a Demo.  Something unfinished, that could be more.

RPGs have no scores, no rewards, and no competition either, but have storylines.  Tetris has no storyline, but it has scores, rewards, and competition.  These are all games.

If the scores and rewards in Wii Sports mean "essentially nothing" what games have scores and/or rewards that mean anything at all?  And if you can name any, what "meaning" do they have?

The score you get in Wii Sports means at least as much as the score in SMB.  Those scores didn't even grant a pro status title.

SpectralDuality said:

Who here really bought a Wii for Wii sports?

Me, definatly. 

Goodlife said:
SpectralDuality said:

Who here really bought a Wii for Wii sports?

Me, definatly. 

Me too.

chaospluto said:

1. No Score.
2. No Rewards.
3. No real competition.
4. No story line.

Other arguments presented here have merit when it comes to debating the NUMBER SOLD... but I hate to see this argument, as I think its the least thought out.

Definitions of game on the Web:

• a contest with rules to determine a winner;
  • a single play of a sport or other contest
  • an amusement or pastime

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Around the Network
chaospluto said:
izaaz101 said:
chaospluto said:

1. No Score.
2. No Rewards.
3. No real competition.
4. No story line.

Funny, I coulda sworn I got a score awarded for beating opponents, got medals for clearing certain events, and competed both against the CPU and local multiplayer...........guess I must have imagined all that........silly me.

The thing is, the rewards and score means essentially nothing in WiiSports.

At least, I never noticed anything new when I got a certain score other than a "Title".  No new levels, no new anything really.

To me, it's a Demo.  Something unfinished, that could be more.

There are speical boxing gloves available when you beat the champion. I think there's also a different kind of bowling ball if you beat pro. Those are new things, that are unlocked when you are skilled enough.

Thrillhouse said:

5) "I was forced to buy it" It shouldn't count.

This is true in the UK and the USA. (Japan, it has sold fantastically well).
I, like most of you, also believe that it would not sold as much if not bundled
BUT
a) I 'll never know how much it would have sold unbundled...
(Like the rest of you, I can only assume)
b) Who here thought when the Wii came out that it would sell better then the GC, N64, SNES???? I sure as hell didn't. Just going by the figures of N64,.. If it would have sold that much and included WiiSports it still would have never touched SMB.

You forgot to add these:

c) We don't know how many Wii's would of sold without Wii Sports.

d) The Sales of Wii Fit and Wii Play does show that Wii Sports would of sold a lot just on its own. Particularily Wii Fit.

Being Bundled gives it an unfair advantage but even unbundled it would sold as much as Nintendogs..It just happened to be used as a System Seller. So Wii Sports sold more Wiis and because of that Wii Sports sold more. There is no way around it. It wasn't Zelda or any other launch game that caused the stir it was Wii Sports. Would it have sold less if it wasn't bundled does the gap between bundled sales and potential unbundled sales increase over time absolutely. However Bundles have been used to increase softwares sales by many platnum games in the past. After the temporary bundle if succesful sales for that game experience a bump. It is impossible to quantify this and most importantly SMB is bundled.

For you who doubt the veracity of this game and say it wouldn't sell as a stand alone. Others have already pointed out Japan so I am going to point out this game was featured in the Oscars(you know one of the most watched and still very prestigous events on TV), Today Show(Multiple Times), Oprah, and pretty much anything from the news to the Daily Show. If that doesn't show pop culture phenomon then look at all the Mii Avatars on the internet both gaming and non gaming.

Look at how made use of and popularized Mii's and than look at the spin offs in NXE and even Home and think about how that has changed your gaming experiecen....Note it did not ruin it. Also for those PS3 lovers out there this game is abig reason Sony pursued LBP and this a game most of the people who own it on the site like was elevated in importance because Wii sports.

It does deserve to be up there.

Arghhh Triple Post

Arghh Triple post.

Solitaire can't be the best-selling game of all time. It's free. You can download it from Microsoft for free right now. There are no licensing fees. You do not pay for it!