By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - History in the Making... Wii Sports to become #1 Sold Videogame of All Time

Naum said:
Zkuq said:
If it weren't for the bundle, I would be either very worried or very sad. A game like this surely doesn't deserve to be the best-selling game of all time. By the way, how come Wii Sports has sold less than Wii itself despite being bundled with it? Is it not bundled with every Wii?

I also wonder how much Wii Sports would have sold were it not bundled... It would probably be one of Wii's best-selling games anyway but I doubt it would be this high. And yes, I know Mario was bundled as well - I'm just focusing on Wii Sports instead of comparison between the two.

Wii sports is not bundled in Japan but the game have an attach rate of 45%...

It would likely have the same attach rate in the rest of the world as it has in Japan in wich mean the game would soon a 20+ million seller.

you could argue that the wii would not have sold as much as it had if it wasn't bundled with wii sports even at a $200 price point.  The fact that the game is bundled is the reason why many people buy the wii, they know when they buy the wii wii sports will come with it.

You could also easily argue that without wii sports the wii woudnt' be #1 this gen.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

its funny that all the wii's carry this game

kowenicki said:
Pyro as Bill said:
"It hasnt SOLD a single copy"
Unbundled in Japan - 46% attach ratio  didnt know that... fair play.

"Wii play is questionable as it was a freebie with the extra controller"
Freebie? Cost me £10.  1) i bought this for my daughter... could have sworn it was included for nothing

"everyone got it for free"
Price of Wii Sports IS factored into Wii bundle  2) nonsense.

"not a single copy of Wii sports for sale"
I'll sell you my copy for £180  nonsense

1) A controller by itself is $10 less than a controller with wiiplay. Therefore, wiiplay is $10 and people are *chosing* to purchase it.

2) You'd be stupid to think Wii Sports isn't factored into the cost. It's a standard business practice. If you want proof, note that the Wii costs the same in Japan (where Wii Sports isn't bundled) as all the previous Nintendo consoles, yet it costs more in the US (addional cost of about the price of a single game) than the previous consoles.

PhalanxCO said:
Esa-Petteri said:
hallowedbeeddie said:
you cannot compare wii sports for solitaire. wii sports is one of the main reason for the wii success. solitaire has nothing to do with the success of computer. it just comes with windows. casual buy wii because of wii sports. if it wasnt for it the wii would have sold like the gamecube.

Yeah, it would be pretty pointless to compare solitaire and wii sports. People have played and enjoyed solitaire for a lot more hours than they have played wii sports. Solitaire must be better game?

Let's face it, if you count wii sports you should count solitaire too. Your reasoning to ignore a great game like solitaire just shows that you are a petty elitist?!

Don't you ever get tired of being ignorant?

That's mean.

It's like asking a chicken if it's ever tired of having feathers. It doesn't really have a choice.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
PhalanxCO said:
Esa-Petteri said:
hallowedbeeddie said:
you cannot compare wii sports for solitaire. wii sports is one of the main reason for the wii success. solitaire has nothing to do with the success of computer. it just comes with windows. casual buy wii because of wii sports. if it wasnt for it the wii would have sold like the gamecube.

Yeah, it would be pretty pointless to compare solitaire and wii sports. People have played and enjoyed solitaire for a lot more hours than they have played wii sports. Solitaire must be better game?

Let's face it, if you count wii sports you should count solitaire too. Your reasoning to ignore a great game like solitaire just shows that you are a petty elitist?!

Don't you ever get tired of being ignorant?

That's mean.

It's like asking a chicken if it's ever tired of having feathers. It doesn't really have a choice.

What can I say? I've been in a really bad mood lately.

Around the Network

Wow some of you guys are talking about acceptance, but no one has to accept anything - in the end it is what it is; regardless of it being accepted.

This isn't a case of "If the tree falls in the forest and no one was around - did it make a sound?" This is just a matter of the tree falling and that's it, it doesn't matter if anyone hears the sound, time has told.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Groucho said:

WiiSports is clearly the reason so many people bought a Wii. That and WiiPlay. The two most awesome video games of all time. No way did people just buy them for the hardware they come with. Nope.

Also, in the PC games realm, a freaking truckload of people went out looking for computer Solitaire, and it came with Windows and a computer. Solitaire for the win!

One can say Wii Sports does show what the Wii can do, and a game like Wii Bowling is good enough people will still be playing it years from now.  Not sure this means Wii Sports deserves props, but it should put hardcore fanboys in their place.

I will give props to the Wii Sports games, not for sales numbers, but offering something different.  I will say that Wii Bowling and Wii Boxing did intrigue me personally, and were part motivation for myself to get a Wii.  Bowling does work, but Wii Boxing  does't quite do it.  Well here is hoping Punchout for the Wii does good as a boxing game.

But this game is bundled with the Wii. How is this even a game to begin with. It's only a sample to see what the owner is going to expect out of the Wii.

Strategyking92 said:

I don't hate wii sports.... It's fun occasionally at parties and stuff.... But if you play it extensively as a real game... a screw is loose in your head. I'm not just another hater.... In fact I bought both a launch nintendo DS and Wii, so I don't need to hear your pre-teen  hyper-defensive shit. My point is, and has always been: the Wii is the most disapointing console I have ever bought. I can take a few RRoD's, so long as I actually use the damn thing to play games to make it RRoD. Luckily for me, my xbox hasn't done it yet. Although I have been kind of wanting it to happen... It's sort of a mystical thing. Like, a meteor shower. But itstead of meteors, you get flying hot bits of dead rising, or whatever game you have in the drive

Why is playing disposable videogames, ones you play and get rid of, more "real" that forming a Wii bowling league, and gathering around Wii Sports every week and bowling?  Or why is forming clans at Halo or Gears or playing Madden more "real"?  Just because it isn' your thing doesn't mean it isn't really.

Sheesh, all these thngs are glorified toys.  If someone gets hours of play enjoyment out of a pack-in game, more power to them.  Again, just because something isn't for you doesn't mean it isn' for everyone.

As far as the Wii goes, it should be viewed as a hardcore gamer's second console, to break out at parties and wih non-gamers.  That is fine.  Again, if it isn't your main thing, so be it.

xlost7 said:
But this game is bundled with the Wii. How is this even a game to begin with. It's only a sample to see what the owner is going to expect out of the Wii.

I bought a Dreamcast and It came with a demo disc with many games that were avalibles for the system (like Sonic Adventures and Tomb Rider) Wii Sports is a SPECIFIC game designed for the Wii, it isn't a demo or a sample it's a full game.