By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the psp hit 100 million units before it stops selling?

Aj_habfan said:
I wouldn't say huge success, since it was Sony's first loser, but it was pretty much doomed from the start considering it would have never been able to reach the casual market the DS gained.

There was a long time where a lot of people expected the PSP to beat the DS into the ground.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Well a success in the sense that it is the only handheld to steal market share from nintendo.

sony cant be counted like that.

seeing how it entered the console market and took over when nintendo was king. everyone expected the same thing in the handheald market and since it didnt it is conisdered a flop..well at least in my eyes when knowing it is a sony product.. if it was a sega or microsoft product on the other hand..that wpi;d be different

hello how are you.

Tremble said:
I'm a huge PSP fan, but I don't think it will! I can see the PSP ending in the 60M range, would be a real success!

yes,60 million is a real success

johnsobas said:
No it won't reach 100 million, not even get close. As someone said in here Sony is probably in worse position it was before they released the PSP, there was tons of hype and the Sony brand was untouchable before then. The only exception might be Japan where they have turned it around a bit and it's doing pretty good

Just look at the software sales for a second.
Last week in NA DS had 58 games in the top 200, PSP had 2, 2!!! Even worse is 1 of them is bundled (wait, is madden bundled too?). DS had 9x the software sales with half the userbase

In others the DS has 26 games in the top 100 while PSP has 1 with DS accounting for over 10x the software sales.

If software doesn't sell, people won't make games for it even if it does have a large userbase. The only bright spot is in Japan, and that has only happened recently.

i am assuming when you said "they" you ment sony and if you did mean sony than i have to disagree.. sony didnt turn it around in japan, capcom did. Monster hunter anyone?

hello how are you.

Yea monster hunter was a big part of it but so was the PSP slim. Hardware revisions were also the reason for the huge DS sales last year in Japan.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

no.. if U ask me

1oomillion is a bit 2 much of a ask. psp has done really well tho soo far:)
its sad that this convo has turn a bit fanboy like.

i except psp t0 hit 65mill in its life time. cant wait for that resistance game coming to psp:) i hope it turns out really well:)

The question is: will it make to the 60M by next year's end? It will probably end at 44,5M. So it has to sell a little more than 15M during 09... Pretty hard, but with a price cut, why not? SE will show full support for the system with kingdom hearts, parasite eve the third birthday and agito XIII (+Dissidia in US+UE), so it should move some handhelds!

I certainly hope the PSP continues to sell well enough to reach at least 60 million. As someone who views the DS and Wii trends unfavorably the PSP is a solid entry.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I say it can, with a significant price drop and a Gran Turismo game. However, Sony is in no position to price cut the PSP, they probably want to focus on the PS3 right now.

And the PSP2 will break 100 million with a touch screen and a right analog stick.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective