By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Gaming PC question...are these specs enough?

Soleron said:

HD 4830? Better than 9800GT and can be found for $90.

Of course, get the 4850 or 4870 is you can afford it. Nvidia isn't the best value at ANY price right now.

My asus 8800gs 384mb was $53 canadian after MIR. Does ati have any card thats as fast for $50? Don't show me a $90 and tell me it's comparable.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
ameratsu said:
Soleron said:

Of course, get the 4850 or 4870 is you can afford it. Nvidia isn't the best value at ANY price right now.

My asus 8800gs 384mb was $53 canadian after MIR. Does ati have any card thats as fast for $50? Don't show me a $90 and tell me it's comparable.

No. But that card is two generations out of date and is likely being reduced to sell off stock (and is therefore a one-off event). While this might sound like backtracking, I meant current-generation cards still being produced. The 8800GS isn't even in Newegg anymore (largest US retailer) - it has been rebranded as the 9600GSO, which is sold around $80 USD.

The closest I can find (though it's in USD, because I don't know a Canadian retailer) is a 1GB HD4650 for $54.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125248

--

EDIT: I found a Canadian retailer, NCIX. Its 8800GS is now $63 (huge increase, to be expected of End of Life cards). It's rebranding, the 9600GSO, is $100 at best.

disolitude said:

I was going to buy a new gaming PC amongst other things but my christmas shopping and presents went way over the limit so I'm looking to cut back. I was thinking and I figured the PC I have now isn't too bad and could be used as a pretty good gaming pc that can run the current games at mid video setting. I will buy a new video card and some more ram but I was wondering if I can get some opinions if this is worth using as a gaming PC for now or if I should just wait till I have the money.

CPU - AMD Athlon x2  4400+

RAM - Will upgrade and eventually have 3 GB PC5300 667 MHZ

Video - Will buy Nvidia 9800GT or ATI 4870, havent decided yet.

Mobo - middle of the road Asus with 2000 system bus

Does anyone have similar specs? can you run Crysis? :)

CPU - Far too slow.

Just get yourself a setup based on an Intel Q6600, cheap overclockable, reliable, mature. value.

FrostyTop said:
Just get yourself a setup based on an Intel Q6600, cheap overclockable, reliable, mature. value.

Completely unneccesary for games. The CPU has much less impact than the GPU anyway, but getting a fast dual-core at a cheaper price would be better in the real world. Oh, and that requires a new motherboard.

But I think any money you have should go on the GPU. The 4400+ won't bottleneck a fast GPU in most games, and even a modest upgrade to an Athlon 7750 would suffice. The 7750 is matches the E5200 by the way, so it is matched at its price with Intel.

Around the Network
FrostyTop said:
disolitude said:

I was going to buy a new gaming PC amongst other things but my christmas shopping and presents went way over the limit so I'm looking to cut back. I was thinking and I figured the PC I have now isn't too bad and could be used as a pretty good gaming pc that can run the current games at mid video setting. I will buy a new video card and some more ram but I was wondering if I can get some opinions if this is worth using as a gaming PC for now or if I should just wait till I have the money.

CPU - AMD Athlon x2  4400+

RAM - Will upgrade and eventually have 3 GB PC5300 667 MHZ

Video - Will buy Nvidia 9800GT or ATI 4870, havent decided yet.

Mobo - middle of the road Asus with 2000 system bus

Does anyone have similar specs? can you run Crysis? :)

CPU - Far too slow.

No, it's okay. It's good enuff to shuffle data to the GPU in grafix intensive games (95% of all new games). 

That CPU (AMD X2 4400+) will only bottle neck to some degree in games with a huge amount of AI calculations, such as the most advanced RTS-games Supreme Commander and World in Conflict. ssj12 claims his CPU is too weak in L4D, which is awkward since Valve usually dont demand high specs.... but that can have something to do with many and/or complex AI calculations for tons of Zombies hunting you I'd guess.

Soleron said:
ameratsu said:
Soleron said:

No. But that card is two generations out of date and is likely being reduced to sell off stock (and is therefore a one-off event). While this might sound like backtracking, I meant current-generation cards still being produced. The 8800GS isn't even in Newegg anymore (largest US retailer) - it has been rebranded as the 9600GSO, which is sold around $80 USD.

The closest I can find (though it's in USD, because I don't know a Canadian retailer) is a 1GB HD4650 for $54.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125248

--

EDIT: I found a Canadian retailer, NCIX. Its 8800GS is now $63 (huge increase, to be expected of End of Life cards). It's rebranding, the 9600GSO, is $100 at best.

That's bollocks for canadians. The cheapest I found was ~$80 after rebate.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD3335&vpn=GV-R465OC-1GI&manufacture=GIGABYTE

8800gs, while the price has gone up slightly since i bought it (blame the falling canadian dollar), still much cheaper:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD4730&vpn=EN8800GS/HTDP/384M&manufacture=ASUS

the 8800gs is very easily overclockable as well. Mine is at 709 / 1702 / 902.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:

That's bollocks for canadians. The cheapest I found was ~$80 after rebate.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD3335&vpn=GV-R465OC-1GI&manufacture=GIGABYTE

8800gs, while the price has gone up slightly since i bought it (blame the falling canadian dollar), still much cheaper:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD4730&vpn=EN8800GS/HTDP/384M&manufacture=ASUS

the 8800gs is very easily overclockable as well. Mine is at 709 / 1702 / 902.

I know. I've already agreed the 8800GS is much better value than the 4650. However, the 9600GSO has completely replaced the 8800GS in the US (and Canada soon) as it is the same chip (so same performance) but rebranded, and is more expensive than the 4650 in Canada. So, the part which Nvidia intends to compete with ATI isn't better value.

You need a better processor. And 4870 is a lot better than 9800gt.

Please register :)

Your upgrade plan looks OK, because you are very RAM short. IGB is just barely enough to run the OS let alone a game.

But in case you are still thinking about a possible replacement for something with better growth potential, there are some decent after Xmas sales.  For example I saw this one at CyberPowerPC 

I like Cyber Power because they are one of the few that lets you selecy brand. not just type of RAM etc. This model is CrossFire ready it you want to go full bore for the price od a 2nd GPU.

Socket AM2 AMD Athlon X2 6000+

• • AMD 790GX CrossFireX Mainboard
  • • 4GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM
  • • 500GB 7200RPM SATA-II HD
  • • ATI HD4850 512MB Video Card
  • 20X DVD Rewritable Drive
    (Free Upgrade!) 6X Blu-Ray Player / DVD+-RW Drive
  • • High Definition 7.1 Sound
  • • 600Watts Stereo Speakers
  • • Sigma Gaming WindStorm 500W Case w/ Side-Panel Fan  $675
  • Just an idea I toss out for you to consider.