By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 disk drive won't load

sorry man, sucks so bad with christmas virtually here and all.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

The Canadian warranty is 1 year. However, if you purchased it with certain credit cards, then you might have an automatic doubleing of your warranty. Call your credit card company or read your cardholder's agreement to check.

Same thing happened to me. PS3 wouldnt read BD media. I called Sony and it only took 9 days total to get it back. I live on the East coast btw. Mine was only 7 weeks old and was covered by warranty. The store only offered 30 day exchange. Good Luck!

Aj_habfan said:

I put in discs, and nothing loads. The light turns blue, nothing seems strange, but no icons appear. Am I fucked here?

It's just a matter of time before the error pops up. 99% you'll have to send it back to Sony.

This seems to be the most common failure for the PS3 (burned lens or broken motor), according to sources accounting for about 70% of repairs. Of the remaining 30% most of those seem to be related to overheating issues (console goes back into standby after turning on).

For North America I think there's 1 year warranty for this. For the EU such problems are covered for 2 years through retailers, who will have to deal with Sony directly themselves.

Here in the Netherlands it's at least 3 years through consumer retailers. Out of warranty you should ignore contacting Sony and go to the retailer, when it's likely not your fault repairs will be totally for the expense of the retailer.

According to Sony over 250,000 PS3s have been sold in the Netherlands (and over 500,000 for the Benelux, although Belgium/Luxemburg have a smaller population, the PS3 sold relatively better at our neighbours). Of the Dutch consoles Sony took care of in total 68 out of warranty repairs regarding first year units so far (so since about 9 months when normal warranty on launch units ended).

At least for the EU this is the wrong approach for most people unless you somehow lost your receipt, contact your retailer instead.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Here in the Netherlands it's at least 3 years through consumer retailers. Out of warranty you should ignore contacting Sony and go to the retailer, when it's likely not your fault repairs will be totally for the expense of the retailer.

Considering it's a 60 GB model, if the unit cannot be repaired and/or you cannot come to a satisfactory solution with your retailer. Instead you can ask your money back from the retailer. At this point people should be able to get about 2/3 of their money back based on months of usage, so for a 600 Euro launch unit, about 400 Euros. That's enough to buy a new 80GB PS3 (without extras like card readers and PS2 hardware), but with DualShock 3 and probably 1 or 2 games and renewed warranty.

I think Dutch warranty policies are very good.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

If you're up to it, and have tinkered with electronics before, you could probably buy a ps3 blu-ray drive on ebay and swap it with your current one...