By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Play magazine gives heavenly sword 10/10?

@ kber81

Hmm, pretty harsh... I didn't play Gears but as for me it looks more fun than Resistance (which is solid)... For me Resistance isn't anything special. Gears has this special something...

What? Flashy graphics? The graphics will be bettered by future games, remove the textures and the game's flaws may become obvious to you.

With Boomers stating "Boom Boom" like a five year old and the bodybuilder "heros" making stupid macho remarks it feels too much like a teenager game to us. I'm 30 and my girlfriend is 22, we feel we're too old for this game. But funnily enough we like cute-style games like Mario64, Super Mario World and Ape Escape games, but not the low IQ macho type stuff.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

What did Gears have?

An awesome advertising campaign.

What did Resistance Have?

It's one of the few things worth paying 60-70 bucks for on the ps3.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Heavenly Sword Demo to me was a 9/10 for a demo, short but so short and fun that I still play it over and over... I hope the game make me want to play it like that.

I don't really ever trust reviews, but in the big picture they do kinda affect my purchase, because they might get me to consider investigating a game more.

I am getting HS either way though.

Nintendo Power does rate Nintendo games with a bias, but it isn't that bad... Here are some scores. NP/AVG From Meta Critic. They weren't the highest on any of these though.
Twilight Princess 95/95
Strikers Charged 85/79
Pokemon BR 65/55
SPM 95/85
Wario Ware 90/83

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Ari_Gold said:
nintendo power gives good reviews to nintendo games

playstation magazine gives good reviews to playstation games.

its logic, why are people complaining.

I would never go to these 2 sources for reviews.

MikeB said:

What? Flashy graphics? The graphics will be bettered by future games, remove the textures and the game's flaws may become obvious to you.

Flashy graphics for sure... As I said I didn't play it so I know nothing about flaws you are talking about. Maybe it's because I don't find Resistance outstanding so it isn't particularly difficult to me to imagine better game.

Around the Network
friedtofu said:

I love the look and feel of that magazine, it has a really nice layout. That being said, I dont read the reviews too much anymore. They do seem a bit overly optimistic and lenient.

One of their writers, Brady Fiechter, has just too artsy of a writing style. Some people might appreciate that kind of thing (not me though) but for game reviews, sometimes I feel like it gives me a headache and takes too many words to get a simple point across.

Heres an example of his writing style, a snippet of his review of Resistance Fall of Man. (Uggh)

"....The driving segments, environmental stiffness—so much does move and bend that the things you’d expect to follow suit stand out in error—and limp story take a toll on the greater whole of the experience. But in the end, what an experience it is. Like Gears of War—and here’s one of the few comparisons the two games perhaps deserve—there is a core soul to the game, a high level of energy and charisma and artistic triumph that smothers the obvious chunks of inadequacy"

This is a joke right? No one writes like this. Did this guy fail poetry class and now feels he must smother us with his writing style. Don't they have editors at Play?

IMO, people shouldn't be starting threads based off ANY review from Play. Doing so sort of reeks of desperation to me, and is bound to turn into a flame/argue war.

Lets wait till it gets several reviews, then we can discuss the score with some credability.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

IMO, people shouldn't be starting threads based off ANY review from Play. Doing so sort of reeks of desperation to me, and is bound to turn into a flame/argue war.

Lets wait till it gets several reviews, then we can discuss the score with some credability.

Well said.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

@ kber81

Flashy graphics for sure... As I said I didn't play it so I know nothing about flaws you are talking about. Maybe it's because I don't find Resistance outstanding so it isn't particularly difficult to me to imagine better game.

Depends upon expectations and preferences of course. Resistance IMO is a great FPS, there are few FPS games I was more impressed with, like Half-life games on the PC. Resistance although it may not have the high quality textures, does have a lot more going on at once compared to Gears.

I like more the James Bond or John McClane kind of heros for this sort of game, not the B.A. Baracus-type from the A-Team.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Didn't want to start a new thread for these so I put them in here.

As one of the games showcased pre-launch, Heavenly Sword, developed by Brit outfit Ninja Theory, has always been hotly anticipated. However, we’ll admit to being slightly worried about it – it always looked great, but would its sword-fighting gameplay cut the mustard? At last, we’ve got hold of pretty complete preview code and from the moment we popped it into our debug, our worries melted away. There’s no doubt it will be held up as an example of the sort of killer games the PS3 so badly needs when it arrives in the shops in September...

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=536#more-536

You’d think a game that starts at the end of the story would be a little predictable and boring right? Well you’re wrong shame on you. Heavenly Sword has a story that by its self is not that spectacular and most of the game is played in the past (before the opening scene) yet the way that the story is told and the richness of the character development left me in awe, in fact it is made so well that the cut-scenes (which I usually loath) are so great that I wanted more and more of them, it was better than most movies, it draws you in and makes you love even the villainous tyrants that you are fighting against. Great graphics, grotesque monsters, bewbs and more equate to an A+++ title for the PS3. If you own a PS3 it is a happy day for you. If you don’t you might want to check this out.

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2007/08/12/heavenly-sword-review-part-1-ps3/