By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Play magazine gives heavenly sword 10/10?

Soulreaver said:
Didn't want to start a new thread for these so I put them in here.

As one of the games showcased pre-launch, Heavenly Sword, developed by Brit outfit Ninja Theory, has always been hotly anticipated. However, we’ll admit to being slightly worried about it – it always looked great, but would its sword-fighting gameplay cut the mustard? At last, we’ve got hold of pretty complete preview code and from the moment we popped it into our debug, our worries melted away. There’s no doubt it will be held up as an example of the sort of killer games the PS3 so badly needs when it arrives in the shops in September...

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=536#more-536

You’d think a game that starts at the end of the story would be a little predictable and boring right? Well you’re wrong shame on you. Heavenly Sword has a story that by its self is not that spectacular and most of the game is played in the past (before the opening scene) yet the way that the story is told and the richness of the character development left me in awe, in fact it is made so well that the cut-scenes (which I usually loath) are so great that I wanted more and more of them, it was better than most movies, it draws you in and makes you love even the villainous tyrants that you are fighting against. Great graphics, grotesque monsters, bewbs and more equate to an A+++ title for the PS3. If you own a PS3 it is a happy day for you. If you don’t you might want to check this out.

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2007/08/12/heavenly-sword-review-part-1-ps3/

Sounds promising.  IGN liked it too.  Isn't threespeech mostly oriented towards PS stuff though?  Not questioning their credibility, just trying to clarify.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Well that game looks tight anyway regardless of what reviews said Heavenly Sword is on some God of War type level....it looks cool!!

akuma587 said:
Soulreaver said:
Didn't want to start a new thread for these so I put them in here.

As one of the games showcased pre-launch, Heavenly Sword, developed by Brit outfit Ninja Theory, has always been hotly anticipated. However, we’ll admit to being slightly worried about it – it always looked great, but would its sword-fighting gameplay cut the mustard? At last, we’ve got hold of pretty complete preview code and from the moment we popped it into our debug, our worries melted away. There’s no doubt it will be held up as an example of the sort of killer games the PS3 so badly needs when it arrives in the shops in September...

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=536#more-536

You’d think a game that starts at the end of the story would be a little predictable and boring right? Well you’re wrong shame on you. Heavenly Sword has a story that by its self is not that spectacular and most of the game is played in the past (before the opening scene) yet the way that the story is told and the richness of the character development left me in awe, in fact it is made so well that the cut-scenes (which I usually loath) are so great that I wanted more and more of them, it was better than most movies, it draws you in and makes you love even the villainous tyrants that you are fighting against. Great graphics, grotesque monsters, bewbs and more equate to an A+++ title for the PS3. If you own a PS3 it is a happy day for you. If you don’t you might want to check this out.

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2007/08/12/heavenly-sword-review-part-1-ps3/

Sounds promising. IGN liked it too. Isn't threespeech mostly oriented towards PS stuff though? Not questioning their credibility, just trying to clarify.

They are a Playstation Blog, so yes, they are entirely and completely oriented towards Playstation.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

kber81 said:

MikeB said:

Gears was mostly fun for me the first couple of minutes, but became repetitive quickly and after finishing the game I wondered: "Why is this worth the hype?". IMO the game is too restricted and linear with its environments, IMO the short vehicle section plainly sucks, the story-telling is subpar, the crouched running is unrealistic (I'm a physical therapist), etc.

Hmm, pretty harsh... I didn't play Gears but as for me it looks more fun than Resistance (which is solid)... For me Resistance isn't anything special. Gears has this special something...

Normally you can compare the games on Game trailers.

I loved resistance more.

Gears looks better, haves a better multiplayer and that is for me everything.
Resistance haves more weapons, haves a good story, the vehicles levels are better, the
Singleplayer is longer, 

It was a surprise that Insomniac can make good FPS games.

On topic:  9 can be a normal score for HS but better wait for other reviews of this game. 

I tried three days ago HS demo at a french store... and well, it's a very good game, but nothing new. Great graphics, good gameplay.... but sluggish... It hurt my eyes... what was that ¿15 fps? An action game needs to be smooth, and HS simply isn't that smooth... 10/10? Must be a joke... it's far from perfect. In any case, if they solve that fps problem, it would be a game woth buying for  (8/10 or 8,5/10 for me).

Around the Network

Didn't Play have the highest degree of Sony bias in that comparison thread a few weeks ago? Even if the game was halfway decent, they would rate it extremely high.

I'm sure this game will be about as enjoyable as Devil May Cry and God of War, but I doubt it'll top 92% on Metacritic. I'm prepared to eat crow on this later on. =P

I thought the demo was an demo of E3 2006 (and if you watch heroes) then you saw that they were playing the same demo that you could download of the PS store.

ROFL..play magazine lost all credibility

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

They did give Superman 64 their lowest rating ever ... 8.5

Seriously though, rumored low and high reviews are often false lets wait for something official