By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Mount & Blade - You haven't tried it because?

Well, I got this game 3 days ago off of gamersgate (also available on steam) and already I have played 30+ hours.

(games website) http://www.taleworlds.com/

You can download a trial version of the game, you can play until you get to level 7, then the game stops until you buy the full version. The steam demo is basically the same version as the website download, except it is an earlier version.

Alright, now to describe:

Mount&Blade is a medieval, single-player open-ended action role-playing video game for Windows developed by Turkish company TaleWorlds, and published by Paradox Interactive. Its retail version was released on September 16, 2008 in North America, and three days later in Europe. The game originated as an independent project of Armagan Yavuz, founder of TaleWorlds, and his wife, Ipek Yavuz.[2] Prior to its retail release, beta versions of the game have been published on the developer's website.[3]

Mount&Blade is an action oriented role-playing game with emphasis on mounted combat. Unlike most other titles of the genre, the game contains no fantasy elements. It does not restrict the player to a certain storyline, but instead presents a sandbox medieval realm named Calradia, in which the player is given the ability to either join one of the five available battling factions, assume the role of an outlaw, or take a neutral side.

Reception on Mount&Blade has been overall positive. Reviewers praised the game for its innovative combat mechanic, complex character skill system, and large modding community,[4][5][6][7][8] but also criticized it for its repetitive quests, dialogs, and locations, as well as low graphics quality.[4][5][7][8][9]

GAMEPLAY

Mount&Blade is a single-player, action oriented role-playing game without any fantasy elements, which takes in a medieval land named Calradia. The game features a sandbox gameplay style, in which there is no strict storyline present. The player is able to join one of the five battling factions, fight as a mercenary, assume the role of an outlaw, or take a neutral side.[4][5][10]

At the start of the game the player is offered a set of options to customize the character. After selecting the desired gender, a series of questions about the character's past are given, which would determine his or her initial attributes. The facial features are also customizable through a system similar to the one found in games like The Sims 2 or The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.[10][11][12]

Traveling to other locations, or interacting with other parties is done by point-and-clicking the desired destination. Upon encountering enemy parties, the player can try to avoid a conflict, or can engage in a battle with them.[4][12] In Mount&Blade each battle is attributed a renown value, according to the number and power of the members of each party. Based on the his renown, the player can be offered vassalage by the leaders of one of the five factions. By becoming a vassal, the player is given control over a certain fief, which he can manage and collect taxes from.[5][10]

By solving quests or defeating opponents the player is awarded experience points, which can used to improve attributes, skills, and weapon proficiencies to further develop the character.[11] Mount&Blade makes use of derived statistics, meaning that attributes dictate the maximum level of a skill derived from that attribute. For example "leadership" skill, which indicates the number of members a party can hold, cannot be raised higher that one third of its base attribute, "charisma".[13] Weapon proficiencies can also be improved over time by inflicting damage on other opponents.[14]

via wikipedia

The game is very good, I think. Even PC Gamer mag. is praising the mod community, as several mods completely overhaul the entire game. There are about three star wars mods, a prehistoric mod...I'll add a few of the more interesting ones...

Complete list: http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,41715.0.html

Anyway, just thought I would get the word out, great game. Try the trial/demo!

EDIT:

......... I bought this for 25$ 3 days ago.... now it's $15.... *sigh*

http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?page=product&what=view&sku=DD-TWMB

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

Sounds cool... to bad i already have a backload of games... and am getting more for X-mas. I'll keep this in mind though.

I tried the demo. Was not impressed.

I agree with you Strategyking92, Mount & Blade is really good and I will buy it definitely (I haven't yet)

My gripe with it is that the writing is terrible, almost Oblivion terrible, and with a more competent writer and coder they could've made some awesome background for the characters and a much better character interaction.

THe combat is simply amazing. Most fun combat system I've had in years.

Like i said, it is incredibly low budget, but the gameplay is great!

There are mods that do great things to the game. One even turns it into a full on rpg! Unfortunately it hasn't been made for the latest version.

I think it is just cool how this game was financed by beta key purchases for the pre-commercial release. This was basically supported by the mod community itself.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

I don't know, the whole asking questions when making a character was kinda lame. Anyway, I tried throwing knives. It gave you distances - 10ft to like 100ft. You had to hit targets. I eventually could hit about 7 out of 10 at 10ft and got some experience. I went up to 20ft and could hit maybe 5 - and it said I failed or something. So I eventually hit 6 and I get the same as I did at 10ft. So basically, it was harder but no extra reward.

I kind of just stopped after that.

The game is awesome. One of the best RPG ever. IF your not looking for a complex story. This games story is ZERO. The entire game design is based around making your own story. I still get impressed by some of the small details. The game scales extremely well to what ever play level you want. Mecenary, Gladiator, Bandits, Captain, General. If you have a mod then the Bandits are better and you can even control your own empire.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the mods, but the main game is just so darn fun. Also the game is so much better if you take the harder live with your actions. It's a hoot to build a mercenary army only to have it decimated and then taking vengence. This game tought me that failure in a game is better than constant success. If you contstantly suceed then you know in the next scene you suceed. Bit predictable.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Kasz216 said:
Sounds cool... to bad i already have a backload of games... and am getting more for X-mas. I'll keep this in mind though.

Same here.

Thanks for posting!

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

I've downloaded it but haven't tried it for real yet. I'm pretty excited though because I love the setting.

I've downloaded it but haven't tried it for real yet. I'm pretty excited though because I love the setting.