By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - When gaming reaches photo-realism...

I doubt that will happen to pokemon because its more anime than realistic.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

It's already happened before with movie games or whatever they're called, they were horrible and no one liked 'em and they were killed.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
It's already happened before with movie games or whatever they're called, they were horrible and no one liked 'em and they were killed.

They were horrible because AT BEST thy were a "Choose Your Own Adventure"-style series of prerecorded clips.  

So Soriku's hypothetical future games are not at all similar to those "multimedia" abominations.   

I don't think that all games will, or should, achieve photorealism; but even if they do, that isn't the same thing as LITERAL realism.  That is to say, if Charizard in the Pokemon TV show looked like an actual dragon, and he breathed fire on Ash and Misty, it wouldn't logically follow that they have to actually be burnt to death instead of following slapstick rules.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

It'll happen, but like Final Fan said, that doesn't mean violence and real-world consequences will suddenly take effect...characters will still be flying around, defying physics and people will still be able to get shot 20 times and survive...at least in most games...I'm sure plenty of shooters will go for uber-realism..

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

...then we will have a movement towards detailed cartoon graphics as a preference not a reality. Reference: Super Mario Galaxy

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

By that time, there will be only two ratings.

A - Approved by Jack Thompson
N - Not approved by Jack Thompson

And of course, all games will be avoiding the "A" rating because it kills sales.

I don`t think every games will go photo realistic because some games are meant to be cartoony like Mario! :P

Did you see gran turismo 5

mM

I like the move towards photorealism. Super Mario Galaxy looks phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but I can only have so many happy, cartoony settings in video games. Games like Killzone 2 and Gears of War create a very impressive neo-noir/post-urban kind of setting that I look at as incredibly artistic. Same for games like Silent Hill.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

leo-j said:
Did you see gran turismo 5

The current gen can get really close to photorealism for scenary, backround, cars, and other non living objects. I think we are still a long way off from photo realistc human models. In fact, several games I've seen in high def on 360 look awesome, but the character models creep me out when the camera pans too close to them. I don't know if it's the unatural way they move their lips, and limbs or the unrealistic skin texture but something is off. I've heard the term Uncanny Valley used to describe this.

If graphic imporve any further I think its going to come to a point where devs have to go photo real or risk loosing sales due to creepiness.