By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - When gaming reaches photo-realism...

No...it's not. When it comes to racing games...there's not much that separates a Wiimote's capabilities from a SixAxis' capabilities...though perhaps the Wiimote is more sensitive, I don't know that for sure.

The Wiimote may be more advanced for other games, but for simple tilting left and right, there's not much to argue about with racing games...unless it hasn't been working well on the PS3...there's not much evidence to support that though. So there's no need to start flaming about such things.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

First, I doubt every game needs to be photorealistic, it's a matter of style... for example, Eternal Sonata.

Second, Photorealistic doesn't means violence or gore etc. by default. Look at racing games, they are near photorealism.

Third, if anything, ESRB will need to adapt themselves. Nobody would pay or make it important if they get too harsh on ratings. Just think that if Final Fantasy, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Madden, Smash Bros. and Pokemon get A.O.... you think retailer will not carry them because of the rating? My guess is that they will ignore the taboo on the rating just to get the sales.

I don't think is gonna change a lot, rigth now developers have enough resources to make violent games realistic, the case of gears of war, but they choose not to.

like the cases of call of duty or medal of honor, two games based on real events, but you dont see a single drop of blood in the entire games, and that is a desicion they make so this games can be rated as "T".

My definition of fanboy: An idiot that misses 2/3 of the fun.

Wii Wheel will totally beat Sixaxis. Because you can't play Mario Kart with the latter. QED.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Soriku said:
leo-j said:
mrshady said:
leo-j said:

You do know that six axis racing is better than wii mote racing :P

OMG. ioi can you put this on the front page as a joke of the day

How do you know you havent used the six axis for racing. It is better at least in my opinion.

I doubt you even played the Wii.
I played Excite Truck, wasn't impressed with the massive overstearing that the WR caused. I prefer Motorstorm with the motion on, at least I can control the vehicle.

Also for thread topic - Not till Ultra HD becomes standard.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
leo-j said:
mrshady said:
leo-j said:

You do know that six axis racing is better than wii mote racing :P

OMG.  ioi can you put this on the front page as a joke of the day

How do you know you havent used the six axis for racing. It is better at least in my opinion.

How many racing games have there been on the Wii? On the PS3? Seriously, there haven't been enough racing games on either system to make statements like this! The Wiimote is more capable at motion sensing than the sixaxis, that's a technical fact, so the Wii has great potential for this. The only difference I can see would be the style of the grips, which will not be an issue when someone finally makes a decent Wii steering wheel (that you can place the remote into).

Edit: Before anyone flames me, I'm saying the Wii remote is more capable IN GENERAL, not just for the simple tilting of a racing game, so It can easily perform just the same as the sixaxis in racing games. It really comes down to how well the devs utilize the technology in this case, not just to the controller.

Certain games have already reached photo-realism. Just take a look at Crysis for the PC. The only problem I have with photo-realistic games at this point is that the animation can be somewhat robotic. When the realistic looking people turn while running, for example, they tend to rotate on their feet unrealistically, move in sporadic, unnatural ways, etc. The next major programming hurdle for the graphics intensive games will be creating human models that don't look plastic and that animate realistically.

A great example would be the new Madden games. The players and stadiums look very close to photo-realistic in the screenshots, but the player animation during gameplay makes it easily discernable from a real-life game. Once programmers figure out how to animate characters realistically, many games will look more like reality.

The thing is, photo-realistic is not the only factor in gaming. Sometimes it's nice to play a game in a surreal environment (like that created in SMG or No More Heroes) to escape from reality. IMO, so-called 'cartoonish' graphics can actually be more artistic than photo-realistic graphics. What I mean is, creating a world that looks like reality does not require as much creativity as creating a world that does not look like what we see every day. To create these 'cartoonish' or 'artistic' worlds requires inventing a unique art style and creating new sights from the mind, rather than just duplicating reality.

Photo-realistic games have their place, but so do the more artistic non photo realistic games- it really comes down to taste. I believe that no matter how powerful the gaming hardware is, both types of games will still be made and enjoyed. I never want to see a world where 'photo realistic' is the only standard for games. Where's the variety and creativity in that?

On Topic: I don't think it will change the ratings. Gears and Resistance are very near photo-realistic, while Manhunt 2 is PS2 looking graphics, yet Manhunt 2 is the game that got an AO rating. It really comes down to what the programmers do with the game, not the realism of the graphics.

photo-realism seems a long way away to me [yes i have seen gt5] .... when i think photo realism i think Red-Dwarf [dunno if its been out in US.... late 80s to 90s British comedy series's set in space]
they made up a few video game systems over the 8 series which were properly photo realistic [as well as realism for the other senses]
nothing yet comes close.
if i wanted to squint my eyes to early last gen games i could kid myself they looked real.

Holodeck

"The holodeck is an enclosed room in which objects and people are simulated by a combination of replicated matter animated with weak tractor beams, as well as shaped force fields onto which holographic images are projected. Sounds and smells are simulated by speakers and fragranced fluid atomizers, respectively. The feel of a large environment is simulated by suspending the participants on force fields which move with their feet, keeping them in one place (a virtual treadmill). Perspective is retained through use of sound damping fields and graviton lenses, which make objects, people, and sounds appear to be more distant. The effect is an ultra-realistic simulation of an environment, with which the user can interact" (Wikipedia)

I want you!

Sorry for going off topic. This is definitely not flame but i just want to clear two things

First. Sony fanboys must be the biggest bullshit makers on world. Not all of them, even some hardcore sony fans are saying that sixaxis is a disaster but a bunch of them just cant accept facts and must defend the sony at any cost.
I really dont know whats your problem. I can understand when on sony forums some 12 year old comes and says "hey my aunt has her aunt and the aunt of my aunt has uncle who has a brother who knows some guy whose good friend with this guy that works at sony and he told me that Sony started developing motion controller before nintendo and nintendo just stole it from them" And then bunch of other 12 year olds go "yeah dude i knew all the time nintendo is just riping sony and wiimote sucks sixaxis owns, your aunt rox". Every thing the sixaxis can do Wii remote can do better and on top of that it can do a lot of things sixaxis simply cant. So following the logic available to humankind I cant see how on Earth sixaxis can be better for racing then Wii remote. And I dont know what are you talking about oversteering maybe that is just because Excite Truck is super fast game and you have problem controlling it. Which lead us to the second thing.

Its incredible the amount of wii games sony fans have played, there is basically no game on the wii that they didnt play. On every forum where there is discussion about some Wii game some sony fanboy comes and says how he played game and the game sucks and controls suck and then compare it to some ps3 game and says how that game is awesome better controls and everything. It doesn't mater which game it is SPM, ET, TP.... even the ones that didnt came out, but anyway they have played it. It always happens that "Hey I played the _insert random Wii game here_ and it was crappy, controls were awful, the _insert random PS3 game here_ is much better controls are better everything is better. EVERY TIME. They hate Wii but they still played all games on it. Even the hardcore Wii fans didnt managed to play all the games sony fans did on the Wii.

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction.

-Albert Einstein