By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will we ever see another RPG like FFVII?

Heaven forbid there ever being another game with a lead character like Cloud... o_O

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
novasonic said:
Mmm I love how this turned into the Anti-FF7 forum! I will sleep well tonight.

Ill stand by my Cloud and Co all day long

*Shakes fist*!! You will be the nightmares that make me toss and turn tonight!! Anywhos, I'm off to pack my stuffs, and hope I don't drive off a cliff on the 5 hour death drive in the snowy mountains home for X-mas! Toodle-Loo!

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

FFVII was such an average RPG. Excellent production values for the time, and they were able to make it appeal to a larger audience, but at the heavy expense of story and characterization.

The Harry Potter series sold a shit-ton of books, and I will admit to enjoying the series on a first read through, but there is little of literary value in them. They're pulp. Popular pulp, but pulp nonetheless. Square churns out nothing but pulp these days, and that tradition started with FFVII.

Cheebee said:
Heaven forbid there ever being another game with a lead character like Cloud... o_O

qft!

Oh, and Ogre Battle 64 s waaaaaay better.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Well Xenogears topped FFVII.. easily... but I'm actually still waiting to see another RPG like Chrono Trigger.. That is my top RPG.. everything is perfect.. gameplay, story, graphics, replay value.. don't get me wrong.. FFVII is good.. but Square already made better RPGs then FFVII...

Ohh Square, don't make me remember their glorious days, Chrono Trigger on SNES, Xenogears on PS1, Kingdom Hearts on PS2... And that's only the top of the iceberg... in FF area, VIII is my favorite, and i still have to see a great main FF game after the merger...

Sansui said:
FFVII was such an average RPG. Excellent production values for the time, and they were able to make it appeal to a larger audience, but at the heavy expense of story and characterization.

The Harry Potter series sold a shit-ton of books, and I will admit to enjoying the series on a first read through, but there is little of literary value in them. They're pulp. Popular pulp, but pulp nonetheless. Square churns out nothing but pulp these days, and that tradition started with FFVII.

Harry Potter has a lot of literary value.  Look at what almost every review says about the Harry Potter books.  A game can still have a deep story and be a breakout success.

My question is, when will there ever be another RPG like FFVI?

Few better WRPG's then FF VII from top of my head IMO : Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, KOTOR 1, Oblivion, Deus Ex

From FF series i prefer IV and VI to be completely honest.

FF IV and VI all the way for me, along with Chrono Trigger.

FFVII is a good game, but it's by no means the best RPG, or IMO the best in the series.

What annoys me is when I explain to somebody that I personally prefer FF6 over FF7, their defense becomes, "Why? It's all kiddy graphics!!"