By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 1Up Holiday Sales, Nintendo great, Microsoft good, Sony ........

..... Struggles

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171989

Conclusion
The fallout from these NPD numbers sent many journalists into a sky-is-falling panic, with mainstream outlets such as TIME and CNN Money penning ridiculously reactionary pieces with an eagerly eulogistic tone. Senseless claims such as "the PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console" and "no one seems to care about high-def DVDs" fly in the face of logic, critical consensus, and solid sales figures. While the crumbling economy is definitely slowing HDTV and Blu-Ray adoption (which in turn hurt PS3 sales), the recent success of The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray (claiming a higher-than-expected 30% of overall sales) seems promising. But these alarming reports do get one thing right--Sony will likely have to reduce the PS3's asking price in 2009. Even with a solid slate of impressive first-party titles on the horizon, the console remains prohibitively priced for many gamers.

Interesting reading but the conclusion is basically the same, Sony needs a price drop, bla, bla. Honestly I think that a better production cost for the games'll be a better strategy, also a new commercial campaign (please no more crying dolls and giant sackboys following couples in dark alleys)

Around the Network

I wonder if Sony will reduce the price! They keep claiming they won't so we will have to wait and see. Pretty nasty hole they are in.

Acevil said:

I wonder if Sony will reduce the price! They keep claiming they won't so we will have to wait and see. Pretty nasty hole they are in.

True, but I'm having a hard time remembering when a console manufacturer didn't avidly state that they have no plans to reduce the price of a console in the near future.

The problem that people have yet to see is that Sony started out at such a high price that it will be hitting each price point too late to really maximize sales ...

Over 75% of videogame consoles in the previous generation were sold for $200 or less. By the time Sony is able to reduce the price of the PS3 below $300 over 100 Million consoles (33% to 50% of all console sales this generation) will have been bought, and most people who are willing to spend $300 on a console will already own a console.

HappySqurriel said:

The problem that people have yet to see is that Sony started out at such a high price that it will be hitting each price point too late to really maximize sales ...

Over 75% of videogame consoles in the previous generation were sold for $200 or less. By the time Sony is able to reduce the price of the PS3 below $300 over 100 Million consoles (33% to 50% of all console sales this generation) will have been bought, and most people who are willing to spend $300 on a console will already own a console.

QFT.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Around the Network

if anything no one will ever put out a 6 hundy console again.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Yes, everyone wants Sony to cut their prices.

Meanwhile, in the real world there are reports that Japanese exports are down around 27% year-on-year, with electronics having among the highest drops.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

With 18 million sold in 2 years, I think Sony Computer Entertainment could be profitable if they keep the price where it is. PS3 would end up a distant third, and Sony might have to cut some employees....

Actually that's one scary thing for Sony: if I remember correctly they have something like twice as many employees in game development as Nintendo...so actually GameCube or even N64-like unit sales may not be enough to support that massive team.

Still, I think they have a better chance at surviving by leaving the price as is and accepting a big loss. Some will point to the cost to the Playstation brand, but I think the damage has already been done...and PS3 and PSP have proven (just like N64) that brand isn't that valuable anyway.

Sony is still losing money on each PS3 sold. If they lower, the price, they will sell more consoles and thus lose even more money. Since the company isn't doing well right now, it's highly unlikely to have a price drop anytime in the near future.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Godot said:
Sony is still losing money on each PS3 sold. If they lower, the price, they will sell more consoles and thus lose even more money. Since the company isn't doing well right now, it's highly unlikely to have a price drop anytime in the near future.

common, sony's not about making money(unlike M$, those capitalist dogs!), but about that warm feel one has when doing a nice deed, dont worry our friends at sony will give us a 99.99 PS3 in no time.