By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - People are never going to see LBP as a success

If you were on megaman's fanboy list I want you off you should defend it instead of bringing people down you're path. As well you were preobably hyping it up too, i was not i had said on many occations that we shouldnt hype games and it holds true.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Consoles owned: Game Cube, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, PSP, PS1, PS2, PS3.

My prediction: NATAL WILL NOT help 360 sales. Maybe a 50-100k boost week 1, then a 30-70 k boost week 2, and back to the norm again after 3-5 weeks.

Around the Network

1.3 millions IS a success considering everything. It did BOMB because of the ridiculous expectations, but once people came down on earth, we're already at 1.3 millions and still selling, it's a success.

Comrade Tovya said:
FishyJoe said:
If you are going to constantly call it huge, then it better damn well be one of the best selling games of the year. Whatever your actual intentions were, you contributed to the hype by using these phrases. You reap what you sow, now you must live with it. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

That's pretty much the way I feel about it.

If you hype a game as the messiah of the PS3, it better well deliver on its promise of redemption (which it hasn't).

I think the problem with the game, is that the marketing doesn't really explain what the game is... and really, when I would ask my clan-mates about the game, they couldn't describe it... they would say, "just buy it, and you'll see".

I think most gamers won't buy a game unless they actually understand what the game is.. and Sony has never really marketed the purpose behind the game very well.

QFT

I am shocked at folks spinning how successful Heavenly Sword is - and it wasn't. LBP could be a 5M seller one day, but it hasn't moved systems like other games (Metal Gear) has. Even though I wasn't huge on Metal Gear, I do admire it for getting folks to shell out $$$ to buy a PS3 to play it. LBP, as it was hyped, really was a breath of fresh air on the PS3. While you may think it's the awesomest game on the planet, this same game on the Wii would be laughed out of town by most folks in this here thread.

MS tried something like that with Viva. And phailed. They hit the mark with Scene It - but the original Scene It is a board game and has followers. LBP is a new iP and I am impressed at its sales. However, as much as folks were talking about how much it would sell, how big this was gonna be, it all turned out like a 40-year-old Faygo - it's a drink but lacks the fizz.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
DMeisterJ said:

No matter how good the game does commercially (1.3 million sold in 8 weeks), or Critically (metacritic if 95) the game will never be seen as a success.  It's a shame too, since the game is so freaking awesome.  

This community would rather downplay the game's success, and call the game a failure because of the hype (not the game's fault), rather than look at it on it's own merits, a new IP, which sold really well on the PS3 and has that high of a metacritic average.  We'd rather look at this game as not a success, and continue playing Generic Shooter A, Madden 2020, and Traditional turned based JRPG 1,922,498, instead of praising a new IP for doing something different and what some would call innovative. 

So I am never going to defend the game again, and neither should you 

It's a success commercially, and critically, and that's all that matters.

Well...for random generic new IP A, 2m ltd+ is a big success.

For freakin' huge LBP, it's almost met expectations...but no quite.

Afterall, this was gonna be the game that changed gaming, that made other games worse by simply existing, and that would single handedly create a GotY and Sony's holiday lineup, all in one huge strike.

Unfortunately, it was Zack and Wiki with a lot more hype. Great game, if you're into that sort of thing, but most Playstation owners I know are back to World at War or MGS4 time challenges at this point. Certainly wasn't my GotY, and while the sales were great, you have to add the conditions "for a new IP" and "that is a PS3 exclusive" to that statement.

Critically it performed quite well...but didn't we expect that? Wasn't all your hype paid for with the expectations that the game only met, but didn't exceed? Also, honestly, isn't the game just a tad over-rated, when you look at the company it shares on gamerankings? Fanboyism aside here, what happened to the game is a travesty, but I warned you all when you hyped it up so much, that it had no where to go but down, and down it went.

You ever wanna hype a game like that again, you better be damn sure that it'll part water when it's released, or you should hang it up.

If this phrase rhymed, it would be poetic.

+1, Zen.

@ zen

The hell..

This is not my fault

Around the Network

Update!

The game is now nearing 2 million in sales (and actually RISING in UK according to Chart-Track), but the lack of praise for sales continues.

The community of this site is so sad. x_x

PSaiki said:
Do you accept Wii Music as a HUGER success? =P

... Yes. *Runs off, hops into Batpod and roars off into the night...*  

"Why's he running, Dad?"

"Because we have to chase him." 

"He didn't do anything wrong."

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

I'm sorry, I felt it was needed.