By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - People are never going to see LBP as a success

No matter how good the game does commercially (1.3 million sold in 8 weeks), or Critically (metacritic if 95) the game will never be seen as a success.  It's a shame too, since the game is so freaking awesome.  

This community would rather downplay the game's success, and call the game a failure because of the hype (not the game's fault), rather than look at it on it's own merits, a new IP, which sold really well on the PS3 and has that high of a metacritic average.  We'd rather look at this game as not a success, and continue playing Generic Shooter A, Madden 2020, and Traditional turned based JRPG 1,922,498, instead of praising a new IP for doing something different and what some would call innovative. 

So I am never going to defend the game again, and neither should you 

It's a success commercially, and critically, and that's all that matters.

Around the Network

Success is relative to one's expectations. To your expectations and mine, LBP is a success.

What if you invested millions expecting Sackboy to be an international mascot, to move hardware, and to draw in the elusive casual audience? Then it's not a success at all.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

kowenicki said:
If thats all that matters why do people like you keep whining about it not getting this recognition you think it deserves. Just enjoy the game if you like it and leave it at that.

Whining?

Well said. It is just because the PS3 haters really badly want this game.

The quote "LBP will be huge", had nothing to do with sales anyway.

There are indeed so many haters who want the game to fail...its not though! LBP FTW and stuff!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
frybread said:
Success is relative to one's expectations. To your expectations and mine, LBP is a success.

What if you invested millions expecting Sackboy to be an international mascot, to move hardware, and to draw in the elusive casual audience? Then it's not a success at all.

Sonys own expectations were less than 2.5 million. It is indeed a success to them

it is a success,,,a new IP with casual/not hardcore looks sells 1.3 million in 8 weeks on a $400-$500 console(mostly hardcore/not casual demographic fan base)

Do you accept Wii Music as a HUGER success? =P

I certainly have some pages bookmarked where "some" people and "a mod" said it would be lucky if it sold 500 k LOL?
it is a success and I hope it will sell more
finally, we can't just forget some of the other predictions claiming the game will sell a lot more than that but it doesn't matter anyway

blackstar said:
I certainly have some pages bookmarked where "some" people and "a mod" said it would be lucky if it sold 500 k LOL?
it is a success and I hope it will sell more
finally, we can't just forget some of the other predictions claiming the game will sell a lot more than that but it doesn't matter anyway

you mean....

Garcian Smith said: Anyway, I'm estimating under 100k first week worldwide, and maybe 500k lifetime.

twesterm said: Also, I don't think the game will actually bomb like say Zack and Wiki did. It will probably sell something in the area of 600k copies and eventually develop into a small ittle niche community. Sadly with the advertising and time spent on this game, 600k copies won't make them any money.

Undying said: We all know the game will most likly be great, but as history has taught us great=/= great sales.

Is there even a market for LBP? Will the game be a run away sucess? Lets take off our fanboy hats and really think about it.

I don't see this game doing very well. Who is the demographic for this game? Kids? Adults? Casual gamers? Hardcore gamers? Are there enough of that demographic on the PS3? Something just tells me that this game will not do well.

First week sales 100k

Life time 300k

Is 300k a flop for this game?

and I didn't even have to bookmarked it was just a quick 5 minute search. Now imagine if I really felt like going through the thread especially before the "lbp will be huge" threads everday talking about how lbp will flop because they cant see appeal or the game looks dull.