By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBig problem - Toronto Star

A Canadian view on LittleBigPlanet, the problems with copyright, and the creativeness of LBP users, click the link for the full story!

LittleBigPlanet provides the tools to let any player create a new game and share it online. But where does Sony draw the line between homage and copyright?

http://www.thestar.com/Entertainment/article/556585

... to quote author Theodore Sturgeon's critical rule of thumb, "90 per cent of everything is crap." This isn't to single out the LBP canon as particularly horrid; Sturgeon's Law applies to all human arts and letters. And with 87,000 LittleBigPlanet levels uploaded at last official count, and hundreds more appearing every day, the 10 per cent gold amid the silt of indifferent doodles, half-finished messes and plain old junk shines quite brightly.

The poster boy for (the 10% of gold) is user Upsilandre's "LittleBigComputer," a device that uses LBP's parts box of levers and switches to present a fully functional adding-and-subtracting machine.

"That example was just amazing," says Healey... ..."Imagine giving a child some Lego bricks, and they make a fully functioning calculator with them. And this is just the beginning; I fully expect to see some truly original inventions that will grow outside of the LittleBigPlanet universe."

Speaking of outside universes, even a cursory pass through the cloud of LBP community levels is a tour through nerdly attachment to fictional favourites. Every other level features pop-culture properties: Batman and Indiana Jones, Mario and Mega Man, Ghostbusters and Star Wars seem to overwhelm the earnest My First Levels and Garden Races. This is a natural geek impulse...

This carnival of fanboy and fangirl glee posed a challenge for LittleBigPlanet, one that any outlet for crowd-sourced content will face. Publisher Sony... began aggressively moderating (read: deleting) levels deemed to be infringing on intellectual property, along with those whose content was considered too mature for happy-fun LBP. Some fans reacted to this "crackdown...

Media Molecule, he says, is "working with Sony all the time to improve these issues, and we're making very good progress... "rest assured, it will just keep getting better and better."

"Some people have made things that are just so beautiful to look at, and some of the gameplay experiences are so well crafted, they put our examples that come with LittleBigPlanet to shame," he says. "There's some real talent out there just screaming for an outlet like this, and that's what blows me away. I fully expect that some people will start making original games that would be worthy of a publishing deal in their own right."

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

What is the point of this thread?

Edit:

After reading though it a couple hundred times, it's the same done-to-death 'ZOMG COPYRITE EN FRING MINTS" argument.  Carry on.

I guess praying for you was a waste of time =p?

DMeisterJ said:

I'm confused, what's your problem this time?

the levels that are copies. dont even come close to the real games. but its nice to see people are able to try and recreate it. and there fun to play just not as fun as the real thing.

PSN: B_U_L_L_D_O_G_G

XBL: BiggBully

Wii: 6629 9857 7201 4139

Around the Network
gebx said:
DMeisterJ said:

I didn't see the point of the thread.  What were we supposed to comment on?

But if you see my edit, I see what we were supposed to comment on.

>_>

After reading the OP. Two things were worth noting:
1. The Copyright problem of LittleBigPlanet
2. A level with a functional calculator that I need to search for

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"
DMeisterJ said:
gebx said:
DMeisterJ said:

I didn't see the point of the thread.  What were we supposed to comment on?

But if you see my edit, I see what we were supposed to comment on.

>_>

LOL! Seriously?

FIRST LINE OF THE OP - A Canadian view on LittleBigPlanet, the problems with copyright, and the creativeness of LBP users, click the link for the full story!

Don't post in my threads unless you read them

Is it just me or does anyone else find DMeisterJ obsession with posting in Gebx threads more annoying than the Gebx anti-ps3 threads of last week.

^ just you. gebx's threads pollute the front page. I would have to click on the thread to even see dmj's post.